Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 11:24 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times

Advertisements

I think Sunspirit post was very good. It gave an excellent assessment of the area.

However, I do think one can find that "small town" feel even in a large metro area where the cities and towns, over time, have grown into each other. For one can create ones own small enclave withing the area and that becomes your own created "small town".

You can easily find areas that have services, stores and shops nearby. They can be walkable from your place of residence and create an ambiance of being in a small village in the whole metro area. If you patronize these businesses and avoid much movement out of your enclave then you become encased in your own small world. It would also be an added benefit if your job site also exist close by in this created small town which is yours. This area has extensive parks and recreational facilities all over and can be easily accessed locally. Even if one moves a little beyond ones comfort place, you will find that many just enjoy the nearby contiguous neighborhoods and go not far afield. In many of these areas and neighborhoods, If one cannot walk, then driving is a short distance over familiar roads that have less traffic. In addition, many of use have found that the extensive public transit gives us a virtual extension of where we live--easily and quickly reached without traffic or stress.

I am originally form NYC. It amazing is when you view the denizens of that large city that many do not often leave beyond a few blocks of their neighborhood; they have all that they need and believe it or not, shockingly, some have never gone beyond their borough--be it Brooklyn or the Bronx.

The same can also be said of those who live here. You will find many residents who find all that they need in suburbs like Arvada which to many, including myself, have that small town feel. You find the same characteristics of living in other suburban cities. Some of these frown on the idea of going into Denver. There are certainly many fine neighborhoods of Denver where the residents find they need in a few blocks of their homes and similarly resist going into the suburbs.

I am senior citizen. You will find that as you age, that many of us move within our own small enclaves within this larger area and find going farther not appealing. We have found our comfort and familiarity of place in our own created small towns. We go to the local church. We know people for years and have established long term relationships. We eat at the same restaurant for many years and our preferences are remembered. We go to the same parks and walk trails for as long as we remember and have observed trees grow from young saplings to maturity. We shop a the local stores for many decades; be they large grocery stores or small shops and the staff knows our names. No matter what your age, your interest and your needs, you can also create your own small world of identity that satisfies and gives your comfort in this larger Denver Metro area.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 10-25-2014 at 11:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 12:44 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,216 times
LiveContent,

That is exactly what I was trying to convey in my post, your "small town" is what you make of the larger area. That's why I suggested Littleton to the OP, though I could just have easily mentioned Arvada, Englewood, Centennial, and others. I'm retired now but even in my younger years in this area we availed ourselves of what was and is local. Denver is a destination we go to when the relatives come to town and want to see the sights.

I think the main thing the OP needs to know is to make sure a job is in the general location of home. Then they won't care how backed up the traffic is on I-25 because they'll rarely use it. They won't care that one town runs into another because they'll live, work, and play mainly in one of those towns, not all of them. It can be done.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:35 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
I'll agree that one's perceptions of their local environment/town play a large part of what your comfort level is with your surroundings. You folk speak from the perspective of contented, satisfied lives well lived and know what pleases you in your retirement years.

But when one reads what the OP posted that they didn't like about the places they've lived and why they don't like their current location ... That's not their perception, which could readily be found in Austin, too.

I suggest that the same reasons why Austin is unacceptable to them now will only be replicated at an even higher cost in the Denver, if not all of Colorado, area.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:09 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
Yes Sunspirit, the OP has some definite dislikes in Texas that could be replicated here in Colorado. I came to Colorado from Texas when I was much younger, many decades ago.

I did not perceive that both these States had nice little towns. Coming from the East my perceptions of a small town would be in a Currier and Ives Print or an Andy Hardy movie. However, I was young just like the OP and did not see because I did not have the experiences of life to look beyond my nose. Now, I can see past my nose but alas, no longer over my belly!

Yet in Colorado I have found some aspects of that which I think fit those characteristics. I have been here 36 years so I do know it has changed but there are small towns that are very agreeable. Some would say that would mean the towns would have some intervening space from other burgs. I think Berthoid is fine example with a little old main street and homes from the early 20th Century, I lived in Niwot, for a short time when I came here--it had those characteristics. I think Longmont is good example of a time with its past still intruding into the present with its great old areas and homes. Some Like old town Louisville and Lafayette. You can go further and perceive Brighton if you bother to take a slow look. Loveland fits much of that description where the patina of times past still very evident.

My little enclave is my Arvada. Many times, I walk around the neighborhoods around Olde Town and I think I have actually seen Judy Garland and Mikey Rooney coming down the street, arm and arm, and Judge Hardy sitting on the front porch. The homes fit the time of the 20s and the 30s and there has been little change.

You can get the same small town in areas of Denver in the old trolley neighborhoods. Now they are seeing a revival but I remember when they were just vestiges of the past and today had not yet intruded on yesterday. Tennyson Street in a great example of a walkable neighborhood with nice parks in the Berkeley Neighborhood and yes it was once a town of its own.

South Pearl Street is another. Gaylord Street also has that ambiance. The Baker neighborhood centered on Broadway is an easy walkable place to live. Many who live in the Mayfair are proud of their identity in their little neighborhood in the larger defined Montclair neighborhood of Denver.

Littleton has oft been mentioned as having an appealing old town. West 38th in Wheat Ridge is a canvas of the past waiting for the artists of today to bring it back to life.

I have interacted much with Natives and Long Term residents over many decades. One of the reasons that I did choose Arvada was it has those type of residents who had a knowledge and appreciation of place and that would make me a more apart of here vs, living in the newer areas with more younger transient, comers and goers. I wanted to know the old, people and places. Often I will hear residents who bragged they grew up in North Denver and went to North High. It brings me back to New York City with the same pride voices I heard when one would exclaim growing up in the Lower East Side or Hell's Kitchen in Manhattan.

Now I am the long term resident and often can help newcomers to see and appreciate. Perhaps I will influence a young me in some other; make them understand so they can continue the heritage and traditions of this place--the place I call home.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 10-25-2014 at 07:32 PM..

Old 10-29-2014, 03:42 PM

145 posts, read 204,071 times
parker, co...can't beat it

Old 10-29-2014, 09:46 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,633,360 times
Check out the areas of Reunion, which is off 104th Ave and Tower Rd in Adams County. It's further out from the density and traffic on the northeast side of the metropolitan. If that doesn't fit the bill, there are other places up in Frederick and Firestone which are both large towns, about 45 minutes north of Denver.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:43 PM

325 posts, read 371,744 times
Grew up in a small town in East Texas, went to college in Dallas, spent my 20s in Los Angeles, now live in a suburb of Denver right up against the mountain. So, I have the benefits of the city but if I get tired of it, I head out my back door to the hogbacks, where there is hardly anyone.

Right now, we're renting until we figure out where we want to permanently land. We pay $1100 for a decent sized two bedroom condo in a nice neighborhood.

There are deals out there. Good luck in making a decision!

Old 10-30-2014, 10:03 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Haven't heard from the OP for five days. I think we scared him/her off.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:30 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Haven't heard from the OP for five days. I think we scared him/her off.
flash in the pan...
Last Activity: 10-25-2014 12:24 PM

Old 11-03-2014, 10:51 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,092,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applepies View Post
I'm originally from California... HATED IT. I have been living in Texas the past five years or so. I moved around and tried small towns and big cities. I do prefer smaller cities or towns (that have a city within an hour). I ended up in Austin and the traffic is getting worse with more people and it's so over crowded and getting ridiculously expensive. I'm talking 500 sq ft $1500 & im starting to think colorado isn't any different. :/ austin no longer has the charm it did a couple years ago. I seemed to have moved here in the last year it was still "austin".

Anyways, I always dreamed of being in colorado. I haven't been there but I never visited Texas before I moved here either.

I checked some prices and areas but I'm just lost. Which areas? Boulder but I'm afraid like San Marcos over here it's going to be a college town. From skimming here I hear it's not... just expensive.

Estes park because I dream of a cute main street that I can walk to.

Denver seems ideal to get a job but big huge cities aren't my thing.

Breckenridge, evergreen and tellride were also contenders.

Steamboat for the country fest in January but I think that might be out of reach financially and is it too touristy?

I'm an outdoors person and crave the snow. I absolutely love country music and two stepping so it seems crazy for me to leave Texas lol. But I'm wondering if I can find a slower pace of life with great mountain views fresh air and a little bit of Texas as silly as that sounds.

How delusional am I? Any bit realistic?

Most likely I'll have to start wherever a job leads me but if I do have a choice I want to know certain details and what areas to avoid.
I would stick near the Denver metro area...

If you are looking for an office job get a place down in northern Douglas County (Parker or Castle Pines area) so it won't be a long drive to the Tech Center, but are living outside of built up part of the metro area.

If you are looking for a warehouse/industrial job look a place in Henderson/Brighton/Lafeyette since a lot of the industry is in the NE and northern part of the metro area.

One last thing to the OP...it is one thing to like snow. It is another to live in a place that gets 10-15 plus feet of it. Having lived in a place that got 12+ feet every winter (UP of Michigan right on the shore of Lake Superior) it isn't great. It becomes a pain after a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado