Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 09:30 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,946,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
^^^

I gotta agree with parfleche. When I worked (and lived) in Durango way back in the 80's, one of the women I worked with commuted in from Bayfield. Even then when there was less traffic and both towns were smaller, she'd come in anywhere from 30 - 45 minutes late on snowy days. And 5 minutes from Three Springs to Durango? No way! Not unless you consider the Wal-mart to be Durango.

Way back in the'80's? 30 years ago? I drove it 3 times in the past week. That's how long it takes me. I live there, I drive it regularly, period. That's how long it takes.... and if you drive under 60mph, you'll be pushed along by people who want to drive faster. For years I've heard about how bad the drive was from Bayfield to Durango (mostly by posters on this board). Then, when looking at purchasing a house in Bayfield, we decided to seriously look at traffic & commute times for ourselves & imagine the surprise when we discovered that it didn't take anywhere near as long as it was claimed here. The longest it ever takes me to get into Durango from Bayfield is 25 minutes.

You can believe what you want. That's my experience and my wife who also drives it would confirm it. BTW, I consider Durango the 160 west intersection, not Walmart. Regardless, the OP is working out near the airport. If they lived in Bayfield, they wouldn't need to go anywhere near Durango.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 04:48 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,033,284 times
So what do you do sell real estate in Bayfield? 25 mins to Durango really? 21 miles lots of traffic and 5 or 6 traffic lights. Can't be done even early sunday morning heading to Panhandler Pies for coffee & donuts.Had to go to Alpine lumber for a door at elmores corner took me 20 mins to get to the tech center.Time is money for me and yes I keep a log and charge for my time.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:11 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,941,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoJoe View Post
Way back in the'80's? 30 years ago? I drove it 3 times in the past week. That's how long it takes me. I live there, I drive it regularly, period. That's how long it takes.... and if you drive under 60mph, you'll be pushed along by people who want to drive faster. For years I've heard about how bad the drive was from Bayfield to Durango (mostly by posters on this board). Then, when looking at purchasing a house in Bayfield, we decided to seriously look at traffic & commute times for ourselves & imagine the surprise when we discovered that it didn't take anywhere near as long as it was claimed here. The longest it ever takes me to get into Durango from Bayfield is 25 minutes.

You can believe what you want. That's my experience and my wife who also drives it would confirm it. BTW, I consider Durango the 160 west intersection, not Walmart. Regardless, the OP is working out near the airport. If they lived in Bayfield, they wouldn't need to go anywhere near Durango.

I brought up the 80's because there were far fewer people living in both towns back then. But even with less traffic, it still took extra time to get from Bayfield to Durango on a snowy day - sometimes alot of extra time. With the passing of time and the advent of more people, the commute from Bayfield to Durango on snow days certainly hasn't improved.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:31 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,480,618 times
In a supposedly "rural" area, the road from Durango to Bayfield can be a traffic-choked mess, with a good dose of wildlife thrown in just to make life interesting. Some real winter driving conditions can really mess that road up.

And, of course, Durango Joe, who loves to pontificate about how great Durango-Bayfield is, has not yet lived there through anything approaching a normal winter. One of these years, maybe, southwest Colorado will actually experience the kind of winter that used to be "normal," or maybe even one considerably worse, and the overconfident newbies will get b****slapped back to reality.

For the record, I've driven that road regularly for over three decades. There is not been a single time that I've driven it in the last three years where that road had the rigorous winter driving conditions that it used to regularly have in winter. Anybody who has relocated to that area within the last three years has not seen winter weather that would be considered "normal" by historical standards.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:35 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,033,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoJoe View Post
I live in Bayfield. I've timed it. Have you? I drive it several times a week.

Yeah I used to lease 160 acres right off the buck hwy right by the Fitzgeralds place and just to get to farmer's supply on co 3 was an easy half hour even with my powerful 60 f100 with the mighty 223 inline 6 powerplant.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:05 AM

Heaven forbid that somebody's real life (& repeated) experience doesn't fall in line with the opinions given by the "Oracles of SW Colorado", the all-knowing, all-seeing wizards.

I drive the route regularly, you all "used to" drive it. Can't imagine that I might actually have a current picture of commute times on US160, & you don't. All you have is past history......

Last edited by DurangoJoe; 11-11-2014 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 11-11-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
So what do you do sell real estate in Bayfield? 25 mins to Durango really? 21 miles lots of traffic and 5 or 6 traffic lights. Can't be done even early sunday morning heading to Panhandler Pies for coffee & donuts.Had to go to Alpine lumber for a door at elmores corner took me 20 mins to get to the tech center.Time is money for me and yes I keep a log and charge for my time.
Nope, I'm retired. We volunteer for the hospital & other organizations and drive into Durango at least 3 times a week. Easy...easy drive. Good for you that you log & charge for your time, that tells me that you have a strong financial incentive to add minutes to your daily tasks to get more money. After all, you yourself have bragged about how you charge people in Durango a lot more for carpentry work than anywhere else..... because.... well it is Durango after all. You must be one of those subs that I told to take a hike after they wanted $40K for framing in my 2,000SF timberframe house.... even though there are only partition walls in a timberframe, no internal load bearing walls.

160 is a straight shot & is a raceway. I've even had people pass me across the double line in Gem Village. People fly on 160. Once again, you "used to" drive it. I drive it now. Who do you think is more current on traffic & times for the drive?

Last edited by DurangoJoe; 11-11-2014 at 09:25 AM..

Old 11-14-2014, 03:26 PM

I drove into Durango earlier this week and just snapped a few pics of my GPS along the way.

Picture 1 was taken as I was just pulling onto US160 from CR521 at the traffic light in Bayfield. It shows the time as 11:46AM.

Picture 2 was taken at the intersection of US550 & US160 west. I was headed up to the tech center. It shows a time of 12:08PM.

By any measure, that's 22 minutes from Bayfield to Durango. Granted, middle of the day. But later that day, between 5 & 6 PM I drove back from Durango to Bayfield during rush hour..... 27 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
relocation to Durango area-2014-11-11-11.46.31.jpg   relocation to Durango area-2014-11-11-12.08.09.jpg  

Old 11-14-2014, 07:37 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,004,056 times
Hey Joe....what some of these "Oracles of SW Colorado", the all-knowing, all-seeing wizards have never experienced, is driving on the snow laced, winding, hilly, icy backwoods roads in the heavily forested country of southwestern PA, so naturally, they are prone to think that the road conditions that are so severe to them, will appear that way to everyone. They conveniently forget about the relativity factor.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:28 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,480,618 times
I will repeat--Johnny-come-lately types who haven't been in SW Colorado but a couple of years haven't seen what a real winter can dish out--there just hasn't been a bad winter--not even a normal one. SW Colorado desperately needs a very cold and very wet winter--for water supplies and to kill overwintering spruce and pine beetles. A side benefit would be that it might also shut up the newbie know-it-all types who think that they know what a real Colorado winter is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado