Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 02:13 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,945,873 times

Advertisements

1) Current City and State = Pittsburgh, PA

2) Why do you want to leave = hot muggy summers sometimes make outdoor activities unbearable

3) Where In Colorado and Why = Durango/ Vallecito Lake, retirement, perfect blend of high desert & mountains

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = none

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = work situation, I need to work another 4-5 years before retiring and there's not really any work in my profession in the La Plata county area, so I'll need to be retired to live there.

6) Anything else you want to tell us that we dont know? = planning to buy land to hold for the next 5 years and design/ build a home when we retire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 07:45 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,694 times
1) Current City and State = Los Angeles, CA

2) Why do you want to leave = Never liked it here. Only came for the work

3) Where In Colorado and Why = Denver. It's like a miniature scale model of a dense, big city but with lots o' parks and vast tracts of nothingness/wilderness less than an hour away Lots of other reasons. Want to go to CU, sig other is a theatre professional, mid-way between families, big fan of public transit, love the architecture (wow, what a lot of great architecture!), I like being able to drink water from the tap...

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = New Mexico and...that's kind of it. Researched Oregon and North Carolina. Also scoped out Pittsburgh.

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = JOBS.

6) Anything else you want to tell us that we dont know? = I like a place to have activity and be lively, but I also like to be able to get away from it for some peace and solitude from time to time. I also think Denver (and maybe Colorado in general) really shows off a peculiar, dark sense of humor and cares about it's arts.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:49 AM

50 posts, read 149,971 times
1) Current City and State = Saratoga Springs, NY

2) Why do you want to leave = I have never left the capital region of NY, and I think it's about time to explore a different area. I will be sitting for the bar at age 24, and will be a lawyer by age 25. I think this is the perfect time to explore. Also, planning on moving with my boyfriend, who should be living out west for health reasons / he has family out west (in Idaho, a state in which I don't want to live).

3) Where In Colorado and Why = I would prefer Fort Collins. It seems to have a younger population with all of the college kids around (from what I have seen). Also, I found a women's rugby club I could join. There are a myriad of reasons, but those are the recent ones. However, the Grand Junction area is also a possibility, because we love Moab, UT, and would be very close for weekend excursions with the Jeep.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = Utah is still a contender, but I am still uneasy about the LDS population's effects on the state. 3rd Place state would probably be Wyoming.

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = One more year of law school- but then I am free!

6) Anything else you want to tell us that we dont know? = I have posted another thread on here concerning moving. I have been getting a lot of different responses of how the Colorado citizens respond to outsiders coming in, and it's making me nervous!

Old 07-25-2009, 11:08 AM

18,715 posts, read 33,376,773 times
1) Current City and State = eastern Mass, small town 35 miles from Boston

2) Why do you want to leave = Weather. I loathe humidity and it's getting worse all the time. I obsess about Colorado retirement.

3) Where In Colorado and Why = I think of Montrose, as a place near the mountains and possible lots of horseback riding, but big enough for those few things I might want as a retiree, including decent medical.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = Would probably stay where I am if I don't feel I can move out West.

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving =Currently good job with good pension and little dream house. Might keep me here for a long time into retirement. Wonder if my thoughts of moving West are overly colored by vacation.

6) Anything else you want to tell us that we dont know? = I think retirement living has a whole 'nother level of things to consider over non-retirement moving.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,022 times
1) Current City and State = Houston, TX

2) Why do you want to leave = weather, lack of outdoor activities that don't involve tons of smog & ugly flat land. We're looking for more seasons (yes even winter sports) and the ability to enjoy camping in more months than are afforded here.

3) Where in Colorado and why = Boulder, Golden, Arvada, Denver... we're open at this point because neither one of us have lived in CO, only traveled. While we want the availability of outdoor sports much closer than we have here, we'd also like most of the conveniences of a larger city.

4) 2nd and 3rd place states = would most likely stay here or move to Austin

5) What's currently holding you back = lack of a job there. Family and friends is another biggie... we are extremely close to our friends and don't have any there.

6) Anything else = I'm looking for a job! Yes, I get it that out-of-staters are very low on the hiring totem pole, but I think a lot of people can offer some unique skill sets/personalities that aren't already there. We definitely aren't the type to try and change our surroundings... we like to blend in and remain low key.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:47 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,074 times
1) Current City and State = Manhattan, Ks

2) Why do you want to leave = Don't know if I want to leave or not. My fiance's parents live just outside of Pueblo and his mom's health may be taking a turn for the worse.

3) Where In Colorado and Why = Small town outside Pueblo. That's where my future in-laws live and it looks like they will need someone close to help them out. Plus the housing's affordable there.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = N/A

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = We don't know her health status yet, the doctors don't seem to be in a hurry to tell her what's going on and once she knows she doesn't like to tell us. My fiance's job probably won't last too much longer, but I have a solid job with good benefits. It's difficult to think of leaving that behind for an uncertain job market in Pueblo, though people in my profession can typically find work anywhere.

6) Anything else you want to tell us that we dont know? = We are just trying to decide then best thing to do at this point. I like where we're living now but being within an hour of the mountains does have a certain appeal.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:52 AM

18,212 posts, read 25,848,753 times
Good morning kansas sky! There are several threads on the board here involving Pueblo and several towns maybe a half hour away and closer. One of them has quite a bit of posts on it, it's the town of Rye.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:21 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,182,429 times
Also to Kansas Sky... If you are content (even happy) where you are in Kansas than I highly doubt you will be disappointed living near Pueblo unless it means giving up a whole lot of family, friends and good work in your current area. Even then, I think your motivations for moving are very good and it's hard to go wrong with a selfless decision like that. In my experience, the people who have the hardest time are the ones totally focused on their own whims and end up being really disappointed when they move someplace only to find that it's still just life in this system.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:49 AM

529 posts, read 1,325,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
As a Colorado native, my advice would be for you to stay in Salt Lake City. Aside from SLC's air quality issues, I find it preferable to Colorado's Front Range in most ways. SLC is closer to splendid mountain country than Denver is, and the Utah mountains are--for the most part--much less overrun and crowded than those close to the Front Range in Colorado. The prettiest part of Colorado, the southwestern corner of the state, is not much farther from Salt Lake than it is from Denver, and is a much lower stress drive, to boot. Denver does have more cultural amenties than Salt Lake because it is a much bigger metro area--but it also has all of the problems from being a bigger metro area. If career does not dictate moving to Denver, then I wouldn't recommend it. I've been around both metro SLC and Denver, and I sure know which one of the two places I would choose--and it ain't Denver!
I have to agree with Jazzlover. CO is pretty crowded anymore. In October, you will see just as many people out fishing the South Fork of the Gunnision river as I did as a kid in the 80's and 90's in July. That river is between Lake City and Gunnison. I can just imagine what the Front Range mountains are like. Oh well. What can you do?

Old 06-08-2010, 11:56 AM

538 posts, read 731,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelumbo View Post
What do you miss the most?
Humidity.
Wow...that is definitely the first time I ever heard that one....miss the humidity!

C'mon down to Florida
humidity up the waazoo
so much dang humidity
you won't know what to do.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado