Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 11:17 AM

10 posts, read 24,105 times

Advertisements

1) Current City and State = Salt Lake City, Utah

2) Why do you want to leave = I enjoy change and have been in Salt lake for long enough. It is kind of boring here and people are generally the same.

3) Where In Colorado and Why = Denver, Colorado Springs. I love the outdoors lakes, mountains, rivers anything outdoors. But I do like the city or being close by.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = Oregon, California

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving =I am 20 and doing this alone . Financial situation and where to begin are holding me back.

6) Anything else you want to tell us that we dont know? = I am almost done with school for massage therapy I plan to move in August when I am done and licensed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 11:28 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,489,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenaalexandra View Post

2) Why do you want to leave = I enjoy change and have been in Salt lake for long enough. It is kind of boring here and people are generally the same.

3) Where In Colorado and Why = Denver, Colorado Springs. I love the outdoors lakes, mountains, rivers anything outdoors. But I do like the city or being close by.

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving =I am 20 and doing this alone . Financial situation and where to begin are holding me back.

6) Anything else you want to tell us that we dont know? = I am almost done with school for massage therapy I plan to move in August when I am done and licensed.
As a Colorado native, my advice would be for you to stay in Salt Lake City. Aside from SLC's air quality issues, I find it preferable to Colorado's Front Range in most ways. SLC is closer to splendid mountain country than Denver is, and the Utah mountains are--for the most part--much less overrun and crowded than those close to the Front Range in Colorado. The prettiest part of Colorado, the southwestern corner of the state, is not much farther from Salt Lake than it is from Denver, and is a much lower stress drive, to boot. Denver does have more cultural amenties than Salt Lake because it is a much bigger metro area--but it also has all of the problems from being a bigger metro area. If career does not dictate moving to Denver, then I wouldn't recommend it. I've been around both metro SLC and Denver, and I sure know which one of the two places I would choose--and it ain't Denver!

Old 01-07-2008, 11:38 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,470,312 times
1) Current City and State =

Orange County, CA

2) Why do you want to leave =

Housing is too expensive. We'll never be able to afford the life we want here. Its also way too crowded.

3) Where In Colorado and Why =

Denver suburbs, probably south surbubs like Centennial, Highlands Ranch, Littleton. So far, those that's the area that appeals to us most, but nothing's set in stone. We want to be in the Denver area because that's where the jobs are and its big enough to have the modern conveniences of life.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States =

None really. Thought about Austin TX since I have family there but I don't think I could stand the 7 month hot & humid summers.

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving =

Not much. My mom's not happy about it but I can't live my life for her. My wife is finishing up some schooling that'll help her get a job in Denver. She'll be done in May. Hopefully the house will be sold by then (one way or another) and we'll be able to save money again for the move.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:06 PM

75 posts, read 290,975 times
1) Current City and State = San Diego, CA

2) Why do you want to leave = California robs me every second I live here and the wife wants to move to Denver.

3) Where In Colorado and Why = Highlands Ranch or Stapleton. Depends on proxomity to jobs. Why - Reasons mentioned above.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = I wont live any place else. Lived in NY, Philly and DC, I hate the east coast (Fun to visit but not to live). I have lived in Socal half of my life, the other in the areas mentioned previously.

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = Knocking out my PMP by this summer and then will aggressively look. Also watching the RE market and want to wait to see where prices are in the fall of 2008.

6) Anything else you want to tell us that we dont know? = Been skiing/ boarding since I was three years old and even though I live 15 minutes from the beach, I'd rather spend my days in the mountains than at the shoreline. We dont own a place (Sold ours in DC and money has been appreciating steadily at 5% while we watch the market crumble) and our daughter is young enough to make a move now. Have a white Lab who may challenge for the Frisbee title once we move there (Colorado Disc Dogs) Lastly, HUGE CHARGER and EAGLE Fans so that may be a barrier to entry.

Last edited by LAAFTERHOURS; 01-07-2008 at 02:19 PM..

Old 01-07-2008, 06:18 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,811,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAAFTERHOURS View Post
Lastly, HUGE CHARGER and EAGLE Fans so that may be a barrier to entry.
Great, someone else besides me likes the Los Angeles Chargers

Old 01-07-2008, 07:10 PM

6 posts, read 22,014 times
1) Current city and state= Germantown Illinois

2) Why do you want to leave= Flat land, humidity, mosquitoes, flies, taxes, & don't want to spend the rest of my days here.

3) Where in Colorado and why= Not set on any location quite yet. Looking at southern area around Colorado City, Rye????? Why? Away from big cities... like the rural setting. possibly more reasonable real estate.

4) 2nd & 3rd Place States= none

5) What's currently holding you back from moving? = Job.... 8 to 10 years from retiring (unless they have an early out).

6) Anything else you want to tell us that we don't know? = I am a 53 year old lineman for an electric utility here in So. IL. Grew up and have lived here all my life. Really tired of this area. I have always lived in rural areas..... not a total "country boy" though. Not much on city life. Too hectic! I'm not real demanding on recreational things.... just love the outdoors. Have loved the mountains every since I went to Colorado Springs as a 6 year old with my parents on vacation. I have been back once ... about 5 years ago. It really had changed. Married with two grown kids! Wife is a school teacher. Both of us really excited about the prospects of moving to CO. Coming out in June to look things over. Love golf! I have a part time small business building and repairing clubs.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:36 AM

801 posts, read 2,213,810 times
1) Current City and state = Albuquerque
2) Why do you want to leave= crime, lack of infrastructure, lack of quality medical care for the issues that my wife and I have
3) Where in Colorado and why= Fort Collins to Estes Park. Love the mountains but need to be near services that the Front Range would offer. If it weren't for that, we'd look more in southwest Colorado.
4) 2nd and 3rd Place States= Austin, Texas area. This is mainly because nearly all our remaining family is in southeast Texas. The very conservative nieces and nephews tell us all the "flaky Texans" live around Austin, so that's probably the only area of Texas that appeals to us. We will check out the area more in the summer for a real reality check during the heat and humidity.
5) What's currently holding you back from moving?= Just waiting on our son to graduate from college (this year).
6) Anything else? We're retired, love to hike, bike and camp.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:56 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,248,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
As a Colorado native, my advice would be for you to stay in Salt Lake City. Aside from SLC's air quality issues, I find it preferable to Colorado's Front Range in most ways. SLC is closer to splendid mountain country than Denver is, and the Utah mountains are--for the most part--much less overrun and crowded than those close to the Front Range in Colorado. The prettiest part of Colorado, the southwestern corner of the state, is not much farther from Salt Lake than it is from Denver, and is a much lower stress drive, to boot. Denver does have more cultural amenties than Salt Lake because it is a much bigger metro area--but it also has all of the problems from being a bigger metro area. If career does not dictate moving to Denver, then I wouldn't recommend it. I've been around both metro SLC and Denver, and I sure know which one of the two places I would choose--and it ain't Denver!
I've spent time in SLC and although it was clean, I didn't care for the dominating Mormon culture and conservatism. Then there's the nightlife, which sucked due to the crazy liquor laws in SLC.

Some of us actually prefer to live on small lots surrounded by millions of people and I find central Denver easy to get around. This is a progressive city that's growing smart in many ways - such as massive expansion of light rail, lots of interesting urban infill projects, new skyscrapers going up downtown. Compared to many cities, Denver is clean, has many parks, and a great biking/trail system. I don't know what "big city" problems you perceive to be in Denver, but I haven't experienced anything negative at all here. It might suck if you work downtown and live 30 miles away in the 'burbs with traffic, but eventually light rail should be an option for many suburban commuters. I made the decision to live near a future light rail line so I won't need to depend on a car as much.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:29 PM

25 posts, read 79,549 times
1) Current City and State = Houston, TX

2) Why do you want to leave = been here too long, summers too hot, skeeters too bloodthirsty and roaches too big

3) Where In Colorado and Why = Denver area close to Littleton

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = hill country area of TX

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = only need to sell the house then we are loading up the truck and outa here

6) Anything else you want to tell us that we dont know? = Have lived in CO twice before, hopefully when we move back we can stay awhile

Old 01-08-2008, 02:11 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,091,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenaalexandra View Post

Coming from a Denver Native, and one who still lives in Denver, based on this post and your other posts - you will like Denver. In reading some of the replies to you, it is funny how some folks can move away from someplace they hate but have a ton of time to complain about where they came from. Energy wasted by unhappy folks and I find it sad for them. Anyway, ask away about areas and things to do here and best of luck to you and your move to Denver in a few months!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado