Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 09:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,999 times

Advertisements

I am in the middle of a divorce and found that my husband, on the day he filed against me, filed a QCD with himself as the grantor and also the grantee. We both are owners of the property, and actually I am listed as owner and he as joint tenant.
I do not understand why he did this,...what benefit would he receive from this act?
What actually takes place legally by doing this? Seems like he is trying to give himself complete ownership.
I know this is not possible, but I am confused about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 10:04 PM

481 posts, read 1,300,631 times
In Colorado a QCD is the easy way out of a real estate contract. If he files a QCD and you agree to it, any mortgage that exists between the two of you is granted to you alone. It's basically a cop-out for a co-signer. What it really comes down to is that you are on the hook for the property and the mortgage. He is signing away his rights to the property and "quitting any claim" to it.

I have dealt with this before. I understand that you are co-owners of the property but I'm guessing that you had the better credit that qualified for the loan in the first place? I would suggest securing a good real estate lawyer. It sounds like your husband is trying to dump the real estate assets on you. If a QCD is happening and you can handle the financial obligations of keeping up with the mortgage payments, you're likely to get the house. If not, lawyer-up and countersue. It's a petty scheme to hurt you financially and not being a lawyer, that's all I'll say and leave it to the professionals from here.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:29 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,665,045 times
If your name is on the deed, how can your husband file anything transferring ownership without your signature? Sounds like you need a good lawyer.

Old 01-31-2015, 05:39 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,297,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
If your name is on the deed, how can your husband file anything transferring ownership without your signature? Sounds like you need a good lawyer.
Because in JT TEN, either party can do the transaction alone. I strongly agree with your second sentence.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:24 AM

8,573 posts, read 12,403,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlekw View Post
In Colorado a QCD is the easy way out of a real estate contract. If he files a QCD and you agree to it, any mortgage that exists between the two of you is granted to you alone. It's basically a cop-out for a co-signer. What it really comes down to is that you are on the hook for the property and the mortgage. He is signing away his rights to the property and "quitting any claim" to it.

I have dealt with this before. I understand that you are co-owners of the property but I'm guessing that you had the better credit that qualified for the loan in the first place? I would suggest securing a good real estate lawyer. It sounds like your husband is trying to dump the real estate assets on you. If a QCD is happening and you can handle the financial obligations of keeping up with the mortgage payments, you're likely to get the house. If not, lawyer-up and countersue. It's a petty scheme to hurt you financially and not being a lawyer, that's all I'll say and leave it to the professionals from here.
HUH?? You're not even close. Re-read the OP.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janey58 View Post
I am in the middle of a divorce and found that my husband, on the day he filed against me, filed a QCD with himself as the grantor and also the grantee. We both are owners of the property, and actually I am listed as owner and he as joint tenant.
I do not understand why he did this,...what benefit would he receive from this act?
Simply put--your husband doesn't know what the heck he is doing.

Who knows what he was thinking? (He probably wasn't.) Maybe he thought he could clear your interest by recording a Deed without your name on it. Whatever he might have been thinking, it doesn't work that way. And to grant a Deed from himself to himself makes absolutely no sense.

Read the Deed by which you obtained ownership. How is it worded? If you're listed as joint tenants (with rights of survivorship?) you are both the owners. (And even if a Deed doesn't happen to show a wife's name on it, in many states she still has an interest in the property.) Just show this info to your divorce attorney--he'll probably get a good laugh out of it.

(And it may work against your husband for apparently trying to do something underhanded.)

Old 01-31-2015, 06:47 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,398,476 times
Chances are that if you were married at the time you purchased your home, the deed would recite that your purchased it as "husband and wife." If the deed does indeed recite that you hold title as husband and wife, a quit-claim deed would be a nullity as you can not transfer entireties property without jointer of both spouses. JTWRS is a different matter however, at least as to that party's respective fifty percent interest.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Because in JT TEN, either party can do the transaction alone.
You may be confusing this with Tenants in Common. Typically, with Joint Tenants it is an equal, undivided interest in the property and all parties need to agree to a sale. However, state laws do vary regarding this and apparently some do allow for a joint tenancy to be dissolved by one party. That is usually not the case when the phrase "with rights of survivorship" (or similar language) is added after "Joint Tenants".

Tenants in Common indicates a separate ownership interest which can be readily transferred without the permission of the other owners. With Tenants in Common the ownership can also be apportioned, say, 75% owned by one party and a 25% share owned by another. Also, with Tenants in Common, the ownership interest would pass to the heirs of each owner, so you can end up with a property being owned by many, many individuals. This can result in some sales of real estate being very complicated!

Old 01-31-2015, 08:00 AM

304 posts, read 344,014 times
This happened to my wife when she was with her ex-husband who simply left her. She presented him with a quit claim deed, stating he had no further right to the house. He was on the loan, and she had to re-finance to get him off of there. He came back several years later thinking he had a right to the house and we presented him with the paperwork showing him that he walked away from it. If he wanted the house, he was welcome to purchase it.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:40 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,167,692 times
you need to clarify if you were as a married couple either:

1) tenants in common, both named on the Deed, or

2) Joint tenants with right of survivorship (JTWRS).

if the former applies, then your ex-to-be can be asserting his interest in the real estate and trying to get it put only into his name via the QCDs. In Colorado courts, that would be an unlikely outcome in the disposition of marital assets. Keep in mind that 1/2 of any appreciation of the house during the time of your marriage and tenancy is yours, so even if you didn't put any money into the transaction of purchasing the house, you still have an equity position by law (if the house has appreciated since purchase). You don't need a real estate attorney, but you should have your own divorce lawyer looking over the assets to be divided.

if the latter applies, you both have an undivided interest in the property. A sale would require both of your signatures, and a QCD wouldn't be valid as the seller without both signing off on it to transfer the sole ownership to your spouse. While there are sometimes financial reasons for a married couple to do this, it's not gonna' fly in Colorado in the context of a transfer of assets in the upcoming divorce split of assets unless agreed to by both as part of an asset settlement. Again, you need a divorce lawyer to clarify your interests and both signatures on the sale QCD assigning ownership to one party.

Keep in mind that an ownership transfer for the Deed of Trust to the property will need Title Insurance. Likely any insurer will catch the defect in the transfer via one party on a QCD from a joint ownership to one party absent a court order or legal agreement to allocate the assets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado