Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 03:52 AM

259 posts, read 988,089 times

Advertisements

No Sales tax if you buy it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 01:59 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeehombre View Post
No Sales tax if you buy it here.
Not quite right. If you bought a vehicle out-of-state and did not register it anywhere else before you register it in Colorado, you will be given credit for the sales tax paid out-of-state IF you paid sales tax there. If you did not, you will be charged Colorado sales/use tax, and possibly county and local sales/use tax (depending on the jurisdiction) when you register the vehicle in Colorado.

And I get very sick of deadbeats who move here from out-of-state, and brag about "beating" the tax system in Colorado on sales tax and vehicle registration. All they are doing is putting their hand in the wallets of law-abiding citizens of Colorado who follow the rules and pay their taxes. Some other words for it are cheating, stealing, and tax evasion. These creeps are not "putting one over on the big, bad government"--they are evading taxes that wind up having to be made up by other taxpayers of the state. If people don't like paying duly enacted taxes in the state of Colorado, they can get the hell out as far as I'm concerned. I sure don't consider their ilk welcome here.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:26 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,481,594 times
Jazzlover is correct. Done it a few times myself.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:06 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
You also have to get a VIN check from either a police officer or an official place that can do these checks. This verifies the car is legit, blah blah. I had to do this when I registered my car from NV. My co-worker also had to get this done on his brand new RV trailor that he bought in Michigan.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 9,844 times
Default Tax cheat?

You don't even know what your talking about. I have never cheated on a tax in my life. I have always payed my fair share. On top of that I also make the ultimate sacrifice because I fight for my country as a soldier in the army. However, that does not mean I am going to go around reporting every single person who finds away around the tax laws that we have. If they find a loophole, good for them. The next time you want to call someone a tax cheat, find out who it is your talking about. I put my life on the line everyday in Iraq so I don't believe I cheat anyone out of their taxes.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Here's a question for you. I have neighbors who've lived in their house for 3 years, yet continue to keep Virginia plates on two cars. I notice the stickers changed, so they've renewed them in VA while living in CO. They're not military either. I like them, but every time I pass their big Suburban w/VA plates, it just pisses me off. I checked and VA has no car tax and it's only $29 to register your car for two years.

I get my emissions tested and pay my taxes on my car, so why shouldn't they? They live here and use our roads. And they live in a half million dollar house, so I just see it as being blatant tax cheats, it's not an issue of affordability. Can you anonymously turn someone in for this?

Well, not sure if it makes a difference to you, but there is a significant tax on cars in virginia. It is a property tax assessed on the car's value each and every year. So if they're keeping registration in virginia, they're paying taxes, just not in your locality

Old 02-17-2016, 03:20 PM

544 posts, read 1,439,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
Charles-
With your address the sales tax should be around 4%. We've bought 5 cars since we've moved here and whenever we go to change ownership at the DMV, it's your residence that set's the tax rate. We've even bought appliances and furniture at the lower tax rate because we live in El Paso County. You have to have stuff delivered to your home and some times the delivery charge more than makes up for the sales tax difference though.
BTW- El Paso County discontinued smog checks as of 1/07.
Weld County doesn't require them either. It's a huge scam, emissions. Newer and new cars are so efficient there's no need to keep scamming people out of money for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado