Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2015, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,568 times

Advertisements

I am considering taking a job in Alamosa Colorado. I currently am living in Springfield Missouri. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me about Alamosa and if it would be appropriate to consider moving there. Also what other towns are nearby to start looking for rental houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 12:52 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
How hardy of a person are ya? The San Luis Valley is breathtakingly beautiful, but winters there will also take your breath away and the area is fairly remote. With a population of roughly 10,000, Alamosa is the biggest city in the valley. If you're looking to rent Alamosa will be your best bet. You could also try Monte Vista which is about 15 miles NW of Alamosa.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:13 PM

914 posts, read 2,207,061 times
I divide my time between (near) Springfield, Mo, and Teller County, Co., so I do not say this without cause: You really, really, really should take a trip out to Alamosa before you do something irrevocable.

There are few places left in the lower 48 states as remote as Alamosa. It would be much like living in Bolivar, but with Kansas City as your nearest city. From Alamosa it is 125 miles to Pueblo, Co., the nearest city with a larger population, and 160 plus miles to Colorado Springs, the nearest city that would be comparable to Springfield in size and services.

Expect your cost of housing to be significantly higher simply because of the limited supply. Utilities will be some higher as the winters and summers both can be very harsh. The small size of Alamosa also makes it hard to find a new job if the old one does not work out, depending upon your employment field, of course.

Other significant differences: The climate is very dry - six or eight inches of precipitation per year. The Hispanic culture is very strong. Education levels are somewhat lower, and median incomes are significantly lower.

Would I go? If I was young enough, and the job was worth having, I'd go in a heartbeat; but then I do not need a large city for anything whatsoever. The area has stunning scenery. Durango, Mesa Verde, The Great Sand Dunes, Taos, Santa Fe, Gunnison, and much more are all easily accessible.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:19 PM

2,394 posts, read 5,001,101 times
It's one of the coldest locations in the state, it's not unusual to see lows of -10 or -20 in Alamosa in the deep winter.

It's also one of the most barren and dry locations in the state

Old 04-24-2015, 03:23 PM

694 posts, read 1,039,868 times
The only edifying factor would be the proximity to Wolf Creek. Higher than average crime rate.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:38 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,938,652 times
Alamosa is also the location of Adams State University, so you get a bit of a cultural tinge from that. But as others have noted, Alamosa couldn't be more different than Springfield - the dry, cold air of the San Luis Valley, a strong Hispanic influence, and fairly remote from any other larger town. If you're young and up for an adventure and can afford the money for a strategic retreat should you not care for the region, I'd say give it a shot. BUT - come out here and check out Alamosa in person before you make any binding decisions re work, etc. Also, do not believe all those ads for cheap property in the SLV. It's cheap alright and for good reason - little to no water, cold bleak winter weather, lack of good jobs to name but a few.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:31 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
How hardy of a person are ya? The San Luis Valley is breathtakingly beautiful, but winters there will also take your breath away and the area is fairly remote. With a population of roughly 10,000, Alamosa is the biggest city in the valley. If you're looking to rent Alamosa will be your best bet. You could also try Monte Vista which is about 15 miles NW of Alamosa.
Bluescreen73 is right. Coldest spot in the state regarding winter with the exception of Craig, Gunnison, Fraser, Kremmling, and that specific area.

In the summer? Certainly different than Springfield but in a good way. Temps in the summer generally in the upper 80's, sometimes 90. But it can dip down to 45 for the low,yeppirs it can! I personally like the summers in the San Luis Valley myself. Yes, a good portion of the valley is Hispanic, it's an agricultural area first and foremost.

If I wanted to see something in the San Luis Valley that would entice me to move there, drive to Antonito (twenty eight miles south on 285) and take a ride on the Cumbres Toltec train ride that goes to Chama, New Mexico. It doesn't get the publicity that the Durango/Silverton narrow guage gets but it's every bit as beautiful-guaranteed!

Best to come out for a few days and see the area for yourself. I like Alamosa ok, actually I like Monte Vista and Del Norte a tad better. Good luck!

Old 04-17-2019, 03:59 PM

88 posts, read 88,175 times
What others have all said. I have an query of interest sent to me for what would be a decent but not great paying job in Alamosa. I grew up in the Four Corners, and Gallup was cold enough, and remote enough. Alamosa is somewhat more isolated and far colder, as well as smaller. I could picture heating bills through the roof from what I remember of childhood Gallup. The cultural issues wouldn't be a big deal for me. Otherwise? Semi-contra Arrby, Santa Fe is 2.5 hours or more away, and Durango 3 hours away, in good weather. More in bad weather; and there's plenty of that in winter. It doesn't snow THAT much in Alamosa, but on the routes between there and Durango or Santa Fe, or even to Pueblo? It snows indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado