Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 06:27 PM

914 posts, read 2,206,654 times

Advertisements

Since it will be late September, and assuming the pass is still open, I would begin by taking the drive up to Estes Park and through Rocky Mountain National Park. It is crazy during the summer, but by late September it will be a) beautiful beyond description and b) not run over with people. You can come into Estes Park from Denver on Co. 7, US 34, or US 36, and there are arguments in favor of each of those, balancing time over scenery. From there the only road west is 34 up and over the pass, then down to US 40 to I 70 then over to Georgetown. Figure six or so hours actual driving time. I might still go to RMNP even if the pass is closed, but it would depend on competing interests.

Consider adding Leadville to the itinerary, possibly in favor of dropping one of the ski towns. I am a big, big fan of Melanzana clothing, which is made and sold there on the main business district. The nearby Twin Lakes area is terrific also. I hear good things about the train ride in Leadville, but have not been myself.

On your way back to Colorado Springs you will might want to see Manitou Springs, and then practically across the road is Garden of the Gods - one of the few places that, in my opinion, actually is better than the hype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 06:39 PM

15 posts, read 12,397 times
That sounds like a great idea. I definitely want to check out some parks and Garden of the Gods. I'll have to add Leadville to my list. Thank you

Old 05-07-2015, 07:05 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane84 View Post
I'm slowly putting a ROUGH course together of which cities and towns I'd like to at least visit. I haven't put much effort into exactly what I'd like to do just yet.

So far here is my rough driving list-

Denver-->Georgetown-->Breckenridge-->Vail-->Glenwood Springs-->Aspen-->Snowmass Village-->Crested Butte-->Colorado Springs-->Denver.

Now I need to figure out which attractions are near these places and which roads to travel. Suggestions? Thank you
Colorado is so gorgeous that you are going to get a whole lot of "must-sees" on this forum. I think your trip is 9 days but with arriving in Denver on the 19th and staying there one day to acclimate, then returning to Denver and leaving on the 27th, you really only have 6 days to explore.

I suggest this itinerary:

Denver to Estes Park to Rocky Mountain National Park and take Trail Ridge Road over to Granby. If you stop at all to get out and look at the scenery, then Granby would be your first night.

Then down US 40 to I70 (maybe stop in Georgetown) to Breckenridge (about 25 miles off of I-70 on CO 9) then back to I-70 to Vail and then Glenwood Springs. This is four hours straight driving time without any stops, so second night should be in Glenwood Springs.

If you go to the hot springs and take the tram in Glenwood, then the next day will be Aspen (I'd skip Snowmass Village, but the Maroon Bells are an absolute MUST and maybe a visit to ********). That will be your third night.

If you are not faint of heart, then drive over Independence Pass (the east side scares the &*% out of me) and head south on US 24 to Salida. Go west on US 50 to Gunnison then north to Crested Butte and spend the 4th night in Crested Butte (take a drive up to Gothic).

Then head east on US 50 to Colorado Springs where you really should take the tram to the top of Pikes Peak and drive through Garden of the Gods.

It is a lot of driving, but you'll see a whole lot of beautiful mountains, some ski areas, and some cute small towns. A good sampling of Colorado!

Old 05-07-2015, 08:34 PM

914 posts, read 2,206,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
you really should take the tram to the top of Pikes Peak
Oh! I meant to mention the tram. Scroll down on Pikes Peak Attractions | Colorado Activities for a pretty good description of choosing seats.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:35 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
Consider driving up the Pikes Peak highway to the summit, and also consider hiking the Devil's Head Fire Tower trail and climbing up the fire tower - fantastic view, neat experience, and a hike that most tourists can manage but will still get a sense of a real hike.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:11 PM

Sorry for not posting in awhile, I've been a little busy. I'm trying to get back on track with my itinerary. Trying to plan a 9 day road trip and booking hotels for where and when I'll be somewhere I've never been is difficult. So far I plan on staying in Denver Saturday and Sunday then leaving Monday morning toward RMNP.
Is there anything I need to take into consideration being it will be late September?

Old 05-26-2015, 02:29 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Not sure what you are looking for and nothing novel here, but...

check the extended forecasts before packing. Weather most likely will be nice but could be hot, pleasant, cool or possibly snowing up high at some point. Obviously have something for rain / wind and layers as needed, especially in morning, late evening. Plenty of clean, dry socks is a comfort. A hat, sunscreen, sunglasses. Plenty of plastic bags of various sizes to keep clothes, food and other stuff dry while you camp & hike and it rains or something leaks.

(I prefer to keep my wallet and all important papers like reservation confirmations, airline tickets, etc. on me at all times rather than constantly deciding whether or not to take or leave it and perhaps some time regretting leaving it. I regretted leaving important stuff once and that was enough for me. Car glove boxes, tents or even hotel rooms aren't always secure. But everyone has their own preference and degree of comfort. A extra copy of key info and some emergency cash in a second spot ain't a bad idea either.)

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-26-2015 at 03:36 PM..

Old 05-26-2015, 03:31 PM

I made up another rough itinerary. Saturday/Sunday Denver--> Monday Estes park and camp overnight RMNP--> Tuesday Georgetown train, drive Guanella Pass then go to Breckenridge overnight--> Wednesday either drive Boreas Pass or hike McCullough Gulch, stay overnight in Beaver Creek--> Thursday drive to Glenwood Springs and hike Hanging lake trail then drive to snowmass for the night--> Friday go to Aspen and check out Maroon Bells and camp the night--> Saturday drive Independence Pass to Gardens of the Gods then back to Denver for the night and fly home Sunday morning.

I'm sure there will be a lot more activities along the way

Old 05-26-2015, 05:22 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Sounds good.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:22 PM

Finally in Denver!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado