Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 12:25 PM

30 posts, read 36,772 times

Advertisements

Hi, can someone give me some advice on where to look for oil work in Colorado? I heard its one of the best places to look for work right now because the Oil companies put you up in the hotels that are usually used for the ski season. Any advice on where to look/ who to contact and the best area to search? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 05:32 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,218,647 times
I'm not sure who told you that but they must have been in a head shop. The Western Slope is pretty dead for exploration and production right now. Those are largely gas wells and are not economical at 2.15/MMbtu. Denver has lost over 1,000 main office jobs this year and those are just the published numbers from DBJ. There are many small firms that have closed their Denver offices and moved the remaining work back to Dallas, Houston or Oklahoma. A friend of mine is getting laid off in July and has recruiters telling him the market looks like the '86 bust, in Colorado at least.

I'd recommend Texas, Oklahoma or possibly ND if you want to stay in the industry. Those locations are still drilling but may not be hiring to many hands right now. Good luck.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:35 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
With the drop in crude oil prices, a lot of fracking rigs are off line and workers laid off. I've read that the man-camps in ND are emptying out, and I'd expect the same to be true here in COLO.

FWIW: there is or was a lot of fracking north of Denver, IIRC in the area of Weld County. Jobs there are usually found in craigslist, as are housing opportunities.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:40 PM

694 posts, read 1,040,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
I'm not sure who told you that but they must have been in a head shop. The Western Slope is pretty dead for exploration and production right now. Those are largely gas wells and are not economical at 2.15/MMbtu. Denver has lost over 1,000 main office jobs this year and those are just the published numbers from DBJ. There are many small firms that have closed their Denver offices and moved the remaining work back to Dallas, Houston or Oklahoma. A friend of mine is getting laid off in July and has recruiters telling him the market looks like the '86 bust, in Colorado at least.

I'd recommend Texas, Oklahoma or possibly ND if you want to stay in the industry. Those locations are still drilling but may not be hiring to many hands right now. Good luck.
Today I spoke with a friend who lives in western oklahoma. Same story there. Oil field jobs drying up and economy taking a drive in that area.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:44 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,927,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
With the drop in crude oil prices, a lot of fracking rigs are off line and workers laid off. I've read that the man-camps in ND are emptying out, and I'd expect the same to be true here in COLO.

FWIW: there is or was a lot of fracking north of Denver, IIRC in the area of Weld County. Jobs there are usually found in craigslist, as are housing opportunities.
It is dead in Weld county. There are rigs stacked everywhere. Many layoffs. you are three years too late.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:32 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,834,812 times
It all depends upon what you think the future of this chart is: Crude Oil (petroleum); West Texas Intermediate - Daily Price - Commodity Prices - Price Charts, Data, and News - IndexMundi

And, if you can accurately forecast oil prices, then you shouldn't be working in the outdoors.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:09 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,940,124 times
Yeah, the same is true out here in SW Colorado. Energy giant Kinder Morgan is cutting back right now and any hiring they might do in this part of Colorado is minimal at best. Even during the boom times KM tends to hire out of Texas and not locally. You can Google them and see what jobs they have listed on their web page these days. If you do manage to get hired, you won't be staying in any resort motel room, either. They know how to build man camps here in Colorado, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: