Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2008, 09:00 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times

Advertisements

Checked the threads didn't find anything on this.

What might be the best practice, process and/or product for getting rid of accumulating ice on my concrete driveway? I normally blow the snow of my driveway as soon as possible. It seems that other snow, probably surrounding the driveway and residual snow on the driveway melts and freezes leaving one to three inches of ice or extremely packed snow. I have tried the el cheapo granular mix found at Home Depot but I really think that is for thin ice glaze on sidewalks (so people don't slip) and not for thick ice buildup. I have also read this stuff isn't too good for concrete either.

I've actually thought of pouring antifreeze or winter mix windshield wiper fluid on it but that is probably not good for the environment, it probably won't work, and it doesn't sound like a cheap solution.

So, anyone have any good practices, processes or products to a) prevent ice buildup and b) remove existing ice buildup?

Here are a couple of products ideas

Brookstone - HOME SECURITY @ OliverGoodStuff.com (scroll down to bare ground system)

Eco Backyard » An Eco-Friendly Way to Melt Ice and Snow

Thanks

This guy would much rather be posting on City-Data than clearing ice.

http://blogs.metrowestdailynews.com/MWNow/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/phomwsvshovelfeature_0319.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 09:19 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,478,878 times
Antifreeze is deadly poisonous to dogs and cats--and it tastes sweet--they will lap it up. Once ingested, there is nothing really that can be done--death is nearly always the result. And it is an agonizing death for the animal. I've used kitty litter with some success. It doesn't chemically speed melting like the various salt products do, but it gives the sun something dark to shine on. The litter absorbs that heat and transfers it to the ice. Best thing to do is exactly what you're doing in the photo--get spots scraped down to some bare ground, and let the Colorado sun do its work.

The best prevention is to get the driveway, walks, etc. shoveled off as soon as possible after it snows, before the snow has a chance to melt and refreeze--and before driving or walking on it packs into ice. If an ice and snow buildup can't be prevented (when I lived in Gunnison, the streets and walks would be snow and icepacked for about 3 months every winter), just throw some sand on it so you don't slip around and wait for spring . . .

Old 01-20-2008, 09:32 AM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
That chap in the pic is using a long-handle ice scraper. I brought mine with me from back east. Imagine a basic garden hoe, with it's 6-inch wide blade, but running parallel with the long handle, not at a 90-degree angle like a hoe. It has beveled edge that digs in under the ice and lifts it up. I sometimes use mine here on the driveway where I've made tire tracks and compressed the snow way past the point that the standard flimsy snow shovel can get it up.

s/Mike

Old 01-20-2008, 09:56 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,478,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
That chap in the pic is using a long-handle ice scraper. I brought mine with me from back east. Imagine a basic garden hoe, with it's 6-inch wide blade, but running parallel with the long handle, not at a 90-degree angle like a hoe. It has beveled edge that digs in under the ice and lifts it up. I sometimes use mine here on the driveway where I've made tire tracks and compressed the snow way past the point that the standard flimsy snow shovel can get it up.

s/Mike

I've used those critters before. And I've also used a pick axe when--for whatever reason--the ice just had to go, but that sure does raise hell with a concrete finish.

Look at the bright side--Charles could be this guy (Mike, you'll enjoy this--shot, I believe, just over the Colorado line into Kansas last winter):

YouTube - Train Snow Plow Getting Stuck

or this:

YouTube - Rotary Snow Plow Union Pacific 900082 Blizzard 2006 Action

Old 01-20-2008, 10:31 AM

Now THAT's a plow! Thanks for the links....more good stuff out there. Some of those guys get too close for their own good.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:32 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,458,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
That sounds like a tool I bought for popping up floor tiles a couple of years ago. Maybe I'll bring it with me instead of selling it in California.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
That sounds like a tool I bought for popping up floor tiles a couple of years ago. Maybe I'll bring it with me instead of selling it in California.
Indeed so, bring it.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:41 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Those train videos were interesting. One of the comments was from some guy who wanted to go for a train ride while that snow equipment was operating. Amazing that train got stuck.

I wonder if I could get a ride along with an El Paso County snow plow. I did a ride along with a Ventura County Sheriff about 15 years ago. Pretty interesting.

Think I'll get one of those ice scraper things at Home Depot at halftime today.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:25 PM

357 posts, read 1,286,800 times
great thread! we've been trying to figure out where to get one of those long handled ice scraper thingies (and what they're called, lol). woohoo! now we have a name too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado