Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 08:01 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,876,676 times

Advertisements

The problem often with COPD is a cascade of issues some might be added in CO . Firstly, COPD is frequently exacerbated by a cycle of colonizing bacteria , mucus productivity, uneven distribution of
air ,air trapping on exhalation placing stress on numerous alveolous. Many ( not all COPD folks developed CO2 retention leading to respiratory acidosis, but the good news is the acid is countered by the kidneys retention of the alkaline bicarbonate!!) At higher altitudes the % of oxygen remains the same BUT the atmospheric pressure decreases causing the driving force of oxygen to be compromised . This lack of pressure effects even non acclimated healthy folks, but causes a potential hypoxia in COPD. A dry climate like Arizona might add to the humidity deficit making expectration of mucus more difficult. Unfortunately I'm lacking enough knowledge as to the best climate for COPD ,but CO is not where I would move. You must research locations please excuse my ignorance.

Registered Respiratory Therapist ( retired)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 12:48 PM

555 posts, read 595,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
The problem often with COPD is a cascade of issues some might be added in CO . Firstly, COPD is frequently exacerbated by a cycle of colonizing bacteria , mucus productivity, uneven distribution of
air ,air trapping on exhalation placing stress on numerous alveolous. Many ( not all COPD folks developed CO2 retention leading to respiratory acidosis, but the good news is the acid is countered by the kidneys retention of the alkaline bicarbonate!!) At higher altitudes the % of oxygen remains the same BUT the atmospheric pressure decreases causing the driving force of oxygen to be compromised . This lack of pressure effects even non acclimated healthy folks, but causes a potential hypoxia in COPD. A dry climate like Arizona might add to the humidity deficit making expectration of mucus more difficult. Unfortunately I'm lacking enough knowledge as to the best climate for COPD ,but CO is not where I would move. You must research locations please excuse my ignorance.

Registered Respiratory Therapist ( retired)
Hahahaha, I KNEW you were a respiratory therapist before I even finished reading your post! (I'm an RT too )

Old 07-05-2015, 01:43 PM

18,727 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Excellent info.
I talked to my friend at 6000 feet who has COPD and she, at 86, has decided that she'd rather stay where she is, near family and familiarity, then take the trouble to move and maybe get a bit more of life. She had pneumonia last winter but pulled through. She had a beloved sister living on the California coast, and had thought of moving there for both sister and COPD easing, but her sister passed last year and she staying at 6000 feet.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:58 PM

14 posts, read 17,025 times
My mother in law had COPD. She lived in Grand Junction (Mesa County) and had to go on supplemental oxygen when she was in her late 70s. She was from Lake City and experienced shortness of breath whenever she went there to visit family.

What bothered her about living in Mesa County was the "burn season" when the farmers burn their fields. This occurs twice a year. In the spring it lasts for 3 months and I think, for 2 months in the fall. This aggravated her COPD unless she stayed indoors.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:05 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
We've heard anecdotally from many people with lung diseases that visiting or moving to the gulf coast alleviated symptoms. The atmosphere is 7% less dense per 1,000 feet of elevation--an 7% is a lot when you don't have enough oxygen anyway.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:07 PM

50,823 posts, read 24,335,838 times
I was in a business meeting for about an hour a couple of years ago here in COS, and the man I was dealing with directly was clearly having problems breathing. I asked if he was okay. He said he had COPD and he and his family knew they HAD to move to lower elevations, even though they loved it here. Not sure how long he stayed in the region, but it was an eye opener.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:57 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,002,754 times
My Dad has COPD, and really had a hard time when he visited my family. We spent most of the time in Estes Park, so that may have been worse than if we were at a lower altitude.

As for allergies, I never had problems with allergies until moving to CO. There seem to be a number of sources of pollen that I never had to deal with in southern latitudes. My respiratory system is definitely not used to them. It seems to get harder each year dealing with them, as though they are slowly doing irreversible damage (that's the only way I can describe it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado