Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 12:18 PM

17 posts, read 62,992 times

Advertisements

We just moved to Fort Collins from North of Dallas.. and the air does feel much cleaner here than in Dallas ( trust me people its better) you'll have trouble adjusting to the dryness though and my asthma does act up... I hear people talk about it getting hot here.. but I'm seeing the average temp in July as 85?..I know you know what I talking about when I say 95 in Texas is not considered that hot when you compare it to 105 for thirty consectutive days at 100% humidity..the snow will surprise you and while its already 85 in Texas..its 45 here but if it is sunny and no wind it feels like 60 in Texas.. So far we love it here and one thing we have already learned that while housing is more expensive here ( not by much) everything else is a lot less ( at least compared to Dallas)and they dont have toll roads everywhere yet and as far as state income tax goes you may not be paying state income tax but old Rick is getting it in other ways as I'm sure you've seen with your electric bill , my bills in Colorado have been a lot less..I've already seen more precip here than a year in Texas but it mostly comes in snow...in Texas you can't walk anywhere ( there aren't any side walks) but here people walk alot more because the weather is nicer and they have sidewalks everywhere but ( sorry people) the food in restaurants is nothing compared to Texas they dont use as much spice.. I hope I shed some light on the differences..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 01:23 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,624,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aapye View Post
We just moved to Fort Collins from North of Dallas.. and the air does feel much cleaner here than in Dallas ( trust me people its better) you'll have trouble adjusting to the dryness though and my asthma does act up... I hear people talk about it getting hot here.. but I'm seeing the average temp in July as 85?..I know you know what I talking about when I say 95 in Texas is not considered that hot when you compare it to 105 for thirty consectutive days at 100% humidity..the snow will surprise you and while its already 85 in Texas..its 45 here but if it is sunny and no wind it feels like 60 in Texas.. So far we love it here and one thing we have already learned that while housing is more expensive here ( not by much) everything else is a lot less ( at least compared to Dallas)and they dont have toll roads everywhere yet and as far as state income tax goes you may not be paying state income tax but old Rick is getting it in other ways as I'm sure you've seen with your electric bill , my bills in Colorado have been a lot less..I've already seen more precip here than a year in Texas but it mostly comes in snow...in Texas you can't walk anywhere ( there aren't any side walks) but here people walk alot more because the weather is nicer and they have sidewalks everywhere but ( sorry people) the food in restaurants is nothing compared to Texas they dont use as much spice.. I hope I shed some light on the differences..

I totally agree with your perception on Dallas (aka Texas/general) compared to Denver (aka Colorado/general).

One of the main reasons I want to leave is b/c of the biking access. Here I see road cyclists all the time but they are riding on the service roads of main roads and these vehicles exceeds speeds of 70+mph. No way! I wish Austin/Texas has safer options for bicyclists. I for one will only thread trails so Colorado I hope will be my home of the future.

Oh of course I miss the powder!!

Old 03-31-2008, 03:00 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,968,872 times
Quote:
I hear people talk about it getting hot here.. but I'm seeing the average temp in July as 85?..I
I'd like to know where 85 comes from! I would love it if the average temp since we moved here was 85 in the summer.....but it's been MUCH hotter. And for some reason, it seems the temps up here in Longmont seem to be much warmer than they will get down in Denver.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:32 PM

2,888 posts, read 7,147,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I'd like to know where 85 comes from! I would love it if the average temp since we moved here was 85 in the summer.....but it's been MUCH hotter. And for some reason, it seems the temps up here in Longmont seem to be much warmer than they will get down in Denver.
Average high and low temperatures in Denver for June, July, and August:

June low: 53.0°F high: 82.1°F
July low 58.7°F high: 88.0°F
August low 57.4°F high: 86.0°F

Denver summer temperatures

Old 04-01-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post

That might be what is should be, but not what it generally is, at least since I've been here. They don't have data for 2007, but here is a few years - you have to put in the month and year, but for example, July of 2006 was pretty darn hot. 2005 was bad, etc.
NWS Denver-Boulder, CO - Local Climate Page

The average is pulled down because there are the nice, cooler days, but there are a lot of days much warmer than the average. The averages seem misleading to me. I thought the same thing before we moved here - I saw that 88 and was so excited since we were coming from Dallas. While we don't have the humidity here, we definitely get the heat. I was really surprised (and disappointed too). 10 years later though it is still a lot better than the humidity.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:29 PM

17 posts, read 62,992 times
ok thats actually helpful ( we haven't been here in the summer yet).. I looked in July for 2006.. it did have 3 100 + days..it also had days in the 60's.. You might get the heat but it doesn't last as long as Texas.. which is what I'm looking forward to

Old 04-02-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
ok thats actually helpful ( we haven't been here in the summer yet).. I looked in July for 2006.. it did have 3 100 + days..it also had days in the 60's.. You might get the heat but it doesn't last as long as Texas.. which is what I'm looking forward to
Yes, and the other thing you will like is that it cools down at night - unlike in Texas when it's still 90 something at 11pm!

Old 04-10-2008, 08:11 AM

90,296 posts, read 120,991,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post

The other thing to keep in mind is that Denver gets approximately 33 days of 90+ degree weather a year. This means roughly 1/3 of the summer days are > 90. From mid-June to mid-August, which is the height of summer here, about 1/2 the days are >90. My rule of thumb is that the average summer day is 90 or close to it (as the July average high shows). Yes, it cools down in the evening (usually), but after a string of 90+ days, your house gets really hot unless you have A/C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado