Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 01:38 PM

171 posts, read 1,052,024 times

Advertisements

We have been seriously considering a move to Durango but the one thing that has sort of held us back is schooling. Anyone from the area with great information regarding super public/private schooling? OUr children are currently in a private school with an international baccalaureate program. Small student to teacher ratio, large outdoor program, lots of flexibility. We would love something similar. Telluride has a similar school, but I havn't dug up much for Durango. Anyone with first hand info? Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2006, 10:25 PM

827 posts, read 5,078,454 times
Idahomama, Durango has great schools. If you want excellent schools, Bayfield, a town near Durango, has some of the best in Colorado. I like the Bayfield schools because they are small and the teachers are excellent. Everyone knows one another and it is a very friendly environment. Durango, although it has great schools, are much larger. Durango High School alone has something like over 1500 students. Durango has grown considerably, so people don't really know each other like they do in Bayfield.

Last edited by Crackerjack; 11-14-2006 at 10:37 PM..

Old 11-15-2006, 08:25 AM

Thank you Crackerjack for the info. I should probably add that we want to be in the Durango proper area, as I have heard Bayfield is more of a bedroom community. We are certainly more urban in mindset than we are suburban. I am still am curious if anyone has any other information regarding specific public/private schools in the area. Thank you!

Last edited by idahomama; 11-15-2006 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: add info

Old 11-16-2006, 07:17 AM

Idahomama, you are welcome. I do know one private school called Colorado Timberline Academy. You can Google it and find lots of info on it. There are other private schools too. Colorado Timberline Academy is the one I recall though.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:11 AM

Colorado Timberline Academy is for at risk students, although it looks like quite an amaing program. Just hoping to hear from someone who has input reagrding specific schools within the district. Thanks!

Old 11-16-2006, 10:19 PM

51 posts, read 235,519 times
Default good luck

I live in Cortez and the schools here are far worse than Durango. Durango schools are supposed to be pretty good, but that is comparing them to Cortez. Unfortunately, you won't find what you have where you currently live. Schooling doesn't seem to be a priority around these parts- it's one pet peve I have always had with Colorado.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahomama View Post
Colorado Timberline Academy is for at risk students, although it looks like quite an amaing program. Just hoping to hear from someone who has input reagrding specific schools within the district. Thanks!
Idahomama, I called my sister-in-law who lives in Durango and asked her about the schools. She has a daughter from her first marriage. She went to Durango schools. She graduated just a couple of years ago. She told me Miller Middle School was a great public school. She learned a lot from there. Great teachers. Her daughter loved it. She also said she loved Durango High School and the teachers were terrific. The only thing she didn't like was the school being too big and having many teens, it didn't seem like you could get personal attention, like a small school. Otherwise, she said the schools were awesome. She didn't know much about the newer school Escalante Middle School. Hope this helps some.

Old 11-17-2006, 09:13 AM

Default Excel Charter school in Durango

Thank you crackerjack, I really appreciate your help. Anyone have any first hand experience with Excel Charter school in Durango? Thanks in advance.

Old 11-17-2006, 04:59 PM

157 posts, read 651,512 times
Hi idahomama,

There have been some articles in recent months in the Durango Herald local newspaper about the Excel Charter School -- most recent = 11/15. Go to "www.durangoherald.com" and use the keyword search with "excel charter school". You will find that the school is being reorganized into the local School District 9R for next year and its status is uncertain. Its original mission, however, was as a learning institution as you desire. At present, I don't think that DGO has a school like those for which you're looking.

Public education in DGO is "relatively progressive", however. Durango High School, for example, offers a great Outdoor Ed program with camping and mtn bike trips (even snow camping), a class in fly fishing taught on the Animas River right behind the school, and the likely most popular classes at the school -- yoga! Further, Fort Lewis College (in Dgo), DHS, and Miller Middle School all offer climbing walls on site.

At DHS, scheduling is relatively flexible with credits being given for online and correspondence courses, homeschooling, and classes taken at Fort Lewis. I am unfamiliar with your International Baccalaureate program, so I cannot comment. However, DHS has done well in national "Advanced Placement" tests in recent years -- especially Calculus. You might want to check test scores and the like at "www.cde.state.co.us" and "www.durango.k12.co.us".

Dgo School Dist. 9r is nonetheless a rapidly growing public school system with the same issues as most public schools. As of the last year I taught at DHS (3 yrs. ago), I believe that the district's "cap" for the student:teacher ratio was 32:1. From time to time I had classes over this number, but usually only until schedules were adjusted. Anyway, not exactly what you're looking for...

Durango is definately a community with a mindset for the type of schooling you seek. Perhaps the Excel reorganization will be just what you are looking for -- you might want to call the district to chat with them about the subject -- 970.247.5411. I hope this has helped. Please let me know if I can help more. Thanks!

Old 11-17-2006, 08:09 PM

Thank you dgoboy, for your very helpful information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado