Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 09:06 PM

108 posts, read 389,630 times

Advertisements

I agree with DgoNative. There is also a large gay/lesbian population west of Durango in Mancos. It's a very small town, the last two mayors have been either gay or lesbian, not many small towns can boost that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 07:13 PM

79 posts, read 288,079 times
Telluride (San Miguel County) would seem to fit the bill if it's not too small or too expensive. On Amendment 43 (traditional marriage) it had the highest NO vote of any county in the state with over 70% vote on the No side. Of course, it's small . . . and remote . . . but beautiful.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:27 AM

435 posts, read 1,575,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DgoNative View Post
I'd still think libmom should check out Durango. It is extremely liberal when it comes to different lifestyles. I know there is a huge lesbian community here, as my mom was on one of the lesbian softball teams. The gay man community isn't so prevalent, but it is growing as proven by the demand to have gay nights at a few of the bars in town. And what with Fort Lewis College above town, there is a strong sense of open-mindedness as most of the town is highly educated. And as for the "affluent liberals", I've never seen anything to that affect. If they are so concerned about not being bothered to live amongst the normals, then they have ample opportunity to go live in one of the ritzy-gated communities around town. I strongly feel that Durango may be the town for you. It has great schools, awesome outdoor recreation, a diversified economy, a strong community feel, and not just tolerant but accepting people. And frankly, I'd feel better about the place if more people like you moved in.
I would offer my two cents here and suggest that if Boulder fails the affordability test for this individual, then Durango certainly falls WAY out of range. The median price for a home in Durango last year, I read in the Durango Herald, was around $423,000. And that's not going to get you much more than maybe 3 BR's and 1500 sq. ft, if you're looking in town.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:39 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libmom View Post
Charles wrote:
Well, we are fortunate that we get to take our jobs with us. And as lesbian moms, we find the cultural climate to be pretty important, as I'm sure it is for racial minorities as well. If we were a liberal straight family we might not care quite as much. But if you move to a place (as we did for a year, in PA) where your neighbors look the other way when you say hello (for a whole year!!), then that's a little too conservative. (said town in PA was also very hostile to Hispanics and blacks, I found). Not that I don't also lean conservative on certain issues (childrearing for one!), but I find that if a town has a strong majority of people who identify as "liberal" then it is much more likely to be friendly and open to alternative familes.
Hey, why don't you move into my neighborhood, Stapleton. I'm a soon-to-be gay dad (with my partner) and our neighbors are so accepting and wonderful. There are other gay parents around and people make us feel like equals.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:10 PM

2 posts, read 6,762 times
Default Carbondale what Boulder use to be

I lived in Boulder for over 10 years. If you are looking for a small liberal town then check out Carbondale, its midway between Aspen and Vail, has the Roaring Fork and Crystal Rivers flowing through it. Mt. Sopris towers above the town. Weather is mild compared to other towns in the Valley (i.e. Aspen and Snowmass). Very Gay Friendly as well. Many gays and lesbians have made there way to Carbondale in the last few years.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:33 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
I don't usually recommend places I haven't been to, but I heard from a nurse friend that Paonia is similar to Boulder.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:23 AM

2,221 posts, read 5,288,296 times
How did this turn into another discussion of havens for homosexuals?

Not that I'm against keeping the linkage between liberalism and homosexuality alive...the association of liberalism and homosexual marriage was a key factor in keeping John Kerry out of the White House.

Anyway, I am certain that there are liberal towns on the plains that don't embrace immorality like a college town (Boulder) does. But if your liberal beliefs extend into immorality, then Boulder's definitely a good pick.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:27 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Uh, did I say anything about homosexuality? The nurse from Paonia said there is a large contingency of anit-immunization people there.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:43 AM

2,221 posts, read 5,288,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Uh, did I say anything about homosexuality? The nurse from Paonia said there is a large contingency of anit-immunization people there.
Nope, and my comment was not directed at your post, but rather to some of the others above it.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:56 PM

93 posts, read 260,238 times
It's always interesting to note the the most interesting, beautiful, culturally vibrant, tourist attracting, cities and towns are permeated by the immoral!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado