Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 12:15 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times

Advertisements

More Pueblo Area links;

Obviously not Pueblo, but down the Arkansas Valley about 60 miles or so...

//www.city-data.com/forum/color...hoto-tour.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/color...610-photo.html

West of Pueblo County and just into neighboring Fremont County;

What you would see if you headed west of Pueblo and Canon City and headed into the mountains and towards the San Luis Valley;

//www.city-data.com/forum/color...river-slv.html

Florence and Beulah, just west of Pueblo;

//www.city-data.com/forum/color...ce-beulah.html

Some of these old photo thread of mine were from older generation stupidphones and the pics quality shows...

//www.city-data.com/forum/color...th-pueblo.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/color...riverwalk.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/color...ourt-area.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/color...val-photo.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/color...-co-photo.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/color...als-photo.html

... Just to scratch the surface.

Quote:
You'll hear nothing good about Pueblo on these boards except for some banter by a local [url="[QUOTE=Josseppie;42040156]

Crime will be the first thing to come up as a strike against Pueblo, but I hear that GJ is no picnic either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoAngel View Post
For the above stats, please note the US average is 295.
Another crime stat link had Pueblo at 158 with a national average of 37, Colorado as a whole at 42, and Colorado Springs had 103. Lower than Pueblo, but that southeast part of CoSprings has a massive amount of crime as seen by the daily news.

You just got to take all these stats with a grain of salt. Times are tough and there's no Utopia around here, that's for sure.

Grand Junction posted a 73 on this other crime scout site.

Denver posted 182.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:11 PM

9 posts, read 33,721 times
Thanks for all of those links! Those pictures are beautiful.

The stats are good to know, but as I mentioned earlier, I'm really not too concerned about crime. As long as it's not like south side Chicago or anything, I don't really care. Y'all have certainly given me a lot to think about though!

Old 11-23-2015, 02:29 PM

10 posts, read 57,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelbug1993 View Post
Hey y'all,

I know these moving threads are a dime a dozen, but every person and their lifestyle is different, so I wanted to see what you'd recommend for me. I'm considering a move in the next few years to either Colorado or Washington.

Some background: My husband and I are 23 and 21, but we're not big "partiers". Nightlife isn't a huge deal, as long as there's at least a pub or two where we could relax on a Sat. night. We're avid hikers and do almost all of our hobbies outdoors, hence our draw to the Western U.S. We're not planning on kids, so schools don't matter. I live in a town in the Midwest of about 60,000 and it feels about right to me, though I'm more than fine with smaller. I'm a little intimidated by bigger but as long as it's not huge (like Denver) I think I'd be fine.

I know a common complaint about GJ is location, transportation isn't an issue, I'm used to a long commute (esp. to bigger

cities) where I live so I don't really care about that.

Oh, also I'm a Registered Nurse so I am hoping that jobs won't be an issue in any of those areas, but who knows. Pretty much every state has higher cost of living than my own, so I don't really care about that.

So what do y'all think? I'm leaning a little more towards GJ (I have a coworker who almost moved there a few years back but didn't for family reasons) but would love to hear more about Pueblo!

Thanks !!
If you are an RN with some experience, you shouldn't have trouble finding a job in Grand Junction. I am a retired RN (retired last year) and the hospital I used to work at here in GJ called me 6 months later asking if I was interested in returning to work. They want to use less travelers and were calling everyone who had recently quit to see if any of them were interested in returning.

We moved to Grand Junction 25 years ago from Southern California and have never regretted it. I am originally from the Midwest but we had been living in California for 16 years.

You can PM me if you have any questions about nursing in GJ.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:05 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
One thing to note is Pueblo inflates it's crime data to increase the federal funding we get. Good for the budget bad for the public relations. Personally I would rather they did not do it but it is what it is.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:52 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,166,398 times
What about coming out on a vacation where you can check out all the areas you are interested in?

Old 11-23-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
One thing to note is Pueblo inflates it's crime data to increase the federal funding we get. Good for the budget bad for the public relations. Personally I would rather they did not do it but it is what it is.
Prove this claim please. I don't believe it until I see facts/evidence about it.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:11 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Prove this claim please. I don't believe it until I see facts/evidence about it.
I am not sure how to prove it. I guess you can look up the crime stats as here is what they do as I was told by people in Pueblo who would know. If there is a burglary instead of counting it as one crime as cities do Pueblo counts it as multiple crimes (at least 3). This gets more federal funding for the city. Honesty this makes sense as I live in the city and I do not feel unsafe as if I did i would move in a NY minute as so city is worth living in if you feel unsafe.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:27 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,303,849 times
My wife took a 3 month travel nurse job in Grand Junction last year. They put us up in an apartment right downtown. Downtown GJ is pretty cool. I wasn't the biggest fan of GJ proper because I don't like "big" cities but it was close to really cool places. It was 1000 times better than pueblo. If your looking into Pueblo area, I'd pick Canon City.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:57 PM

289 posts, read 776,112 times
This may surprise some people. but if I had to choose between the two, I would take Pueblo in a heartbeat.

The two towns are very similar in size and have had economic issues for several years - Pueblo more so since they haven't recovered from the steel mill's collapse in the 80s. Grand Junction has been hurting ever since the area's oil & gas industries tanked in the late 2000s. Both towns are home to average-sized colleges, and have a handful of local events that help boost the local economy. Both have a good variety of chain restaurants, but Pueblo gets the nod (by a mile) when it comes to "mom & pop" restaurants.

Both cities are a fairly reasonable drive from the mountains - they are much more accessible from GJ though. GJ is much closer the mountain tourist towns like Glenwood Springs, Aspen, Helluride (not a typo), Crested Butte, etc.

Crime statistics are what they are - Pueblo has a huge gang problem but based on what your income would be you should be able to live in a low-crime part of town.

I would choose Pueblo over GJ for two reasons - Low cost of living, and access to the Denver area. Real estate prices in GJ are pretty steep, and not worth the price for living in an area that is very isolated. It's VERY expensive to fly out of the local airport, and traversing the mountains during the Winter is no cakewalk. Pueblo is only 2 hours from downtown Denver (give or take, depending on traffic), while GJ is solid 4 hours away.

This doesn't mean that I want to live in Pueblo, but if I had to choose between the two, Pueblo would win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado