Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 01:41 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in the Central Valley of CA, but traveled around the 4-corners states with my family quite a bit. Biggest reason for leaving the valley was air quality. If making a big move, I wanted to be a stay at home mom, so cost of living was the next factor. Looked at Oregon, Washington (too wet), Arizona (too hot), Utah (too conservative). Colorado fit because we wanted to be near skiing and hiking, and be in a sort of casual outdoorsy place. We heard Littleton was a nice place, and my husband happened to find a job opening the first day he looked. It is not perfect (still too conservative. I live in HR). I miss the really tall trees of the Sierras. But it is a much nicer place to live than what we left. I think it is a good fit for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 06:41 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,917,397 times
Haha, I was born and raised in Colorado.

'Nuff said.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:55 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,922,788 times
Due to work, I spent a lot of time in COS, over 150 days in 2003. At first we didn't even think about moving out of San Diego. But after a while the area started looking pretty attractive. Winter didn't kill me, though I have to admit they were not nearly as bad as 2006. After comparing the pro's and con's, the most important to us were the schools, we decided to sell our house and move. It sold in less than a day. So we moved in June of '04. We lucked out, finding a killer deal on bank-owned home we liked and was able to move in after a couple of days at Homewood Suites. So far, the move has been very good for us.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:33 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
After years of following high-tech jobs all around the U.S., my husband and I had children and decided that they should be able to see their grandparents more than twice a year, so here we are.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:35 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
After years of following high-tech jobs all around the U.S., my husband and I had children and decided that they should be able to see their grandparents more than twice a year, so here we are.
I'm confused. If "a former Californian" then one would suppose that's where the grandparents are. So how does living in Colorado mean seeing grandparents more than twice a year?

Old 02-12-2008, 09:12 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,851 times
Born and raised in Massachusetts. After several years in Baltimore and then 2 years in Cleveland I was able to convince my company to move me out here to be closer to our IT development team based in CO Springs. They actually fell for it!! My wife and I live in Castle Rock and enjoy being near her parents who live in Breckenridge - yes, free housing in the high country!!

After leaving MA, I toyed with the idea of moving back. now that we are here, we plan to stay for the long haul!

Old 02-12-2008, 09:24 AM

566 posts, read 1,939,988 times
Didn't move to CO so much as away from CA. Grew up in SoCal when it was the best place on earth. But in later years it became a hassle (due mostly to immigration growth) and we started to look forward to every trip away from the place. Started to explore. Made trips to all mid-sized towns in CA then adjacent states. Saw Bellingham, Wenachee, Prescott, Bend, Medford, Corvallis, and lots of others. Then came to the Front Range and liked it. Moved our business here but hesitated to leave CA. Actually commuted from CA to Front Range for seven years. Then said we owe it to the kids to get out of CA.

Still miss the west coast, especially the weather and vibe. Lots of interesting people in CA who know how to have fun. At the danger of inciting a riot I will say that I wish our area had more conveniences. I know what to expect. "You jerks come to CO and want to bring CA with you". Well to some extnet I guess that's true and I don't see anything wrong with it. I don't subsrcibe to the theory that if you don't build it they won't come. They'll come anyway. Might as well have a standard of living that is enjoyable.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:49 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobmw View Post
Didn't move to CO so much as away from CA. Grew up in SoCal when it was the best place on earth. .....

At the danger of inciting a riot I will say that I wish our area had more conveniences.

I did the same thing you did but I don't think there is that much of a lack of conveniences. In an apples to apples comparison Colorado isn't that much different. Now, it isn't fair to compare westside LA with Monument, CO, But Denver has just about everything LA has without the traffic.

Specifically, what conveniences might you be referring to?

In fact, SoCal has ten times more inconveniences (traffic, LAX, social problems, parking, safety concerns, public transit, vastness, to name a few).

Old 02-12-2008, 10:59 AM

911 posts, read 2,156,280 times
i used to live in bailey, colorado as a teen, and also lakewood and aurora for short stints. my mom was living in the area for a couple of years. it is hands down the most beautiful and exciting (yet laid back) place i've ever lived. not to mention the history is excellent. i never wanted to leave, and have missed it ever since. i used to be able to walk old wagon tracks around the mountain i lived on, and there were even ruins of old houses or wagon stops n things here and there i could just walk to in 5 minutes. i miss all the hummingbirds and dragonflies, and fireworks at como. and denver, for a multitude of reasons, is one of the only big cities that i actually enjoy being in.

anyway, now that my honey's making a decent salary to raise our kids on, we decided money is not enough and would like for the kids to live in an area that can offer them a better quality of life, and less of being locked up in the house between september-may due to all the cold and ice and snow. it's been -40 wind chill here for quite a spell. it's worse than the fact that there's nothing here to do, they are actually advising you not to leave your home! also, colorado has more career and educational opportunities than northern wisconsin has to offer.

that's why i'm *about to* come back and end up in CO!

Old 02-12-2008, 01:54 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I'm confused. If "a former Californian" then one would suppose that's where the grandparents are. So how does living in Colorado mean seeing grandparents more than twice a year?
Nothing to be confused about, Charles. Both my husband and I grew up in military families, so we've lived in many different places. My in-laws settled in Colorado after my father-in-law retired from the Air Force in the mid-eighties, while my parents settled in Florida about the same time. Now that we live here in the Centennial State, our kids get to spend as much time as they like with my in-laws. My parents, not so much, but at least we no longer have to split our vacation time between the two sets of grandparents.

I chose the username "Formercalifornian" because it's a state I love, my husband and I lived there for the longest stretch of our marriage, our children were both born in the Golden State...and because I'm contrary and I enjoy getting a rise out of the anti-California crowd. Someday, I plan to retire to the Mendocino coast and then I'll change my username to "Californianonceagain."

Last edited by formercalifornian; 02-12-2008 at 02:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado