Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2016, 08:02 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,250,739 times

Advertisements

I spend a fair amount of time at Elevenmile fairly close to the lake (Elevenmile Village area) and am hoping to get some sort of cell based internet service up there.

Some details.. There is some sort of cell phone repeater near the Elevenmile general store but it must have some limitations.

I have a Trackfone with the 2X minutes. This works fine to for voice at Elevenmile.

However, when I went to the Trackfone 3X minute phone (which I think might be 3G), the phone said there was no service at all available.

I would take the Trackfone 2X minute phone back up there, it worked fine.

I have a Virgin Mobile no contract cell based Wifi hot spot. When I tried it up there, it said no service.

But I have friends that come up there with cell phones and can get the internet.

At this point, I want to spend more time up there and need both cell phone and internet and think I will probably have to enter the real world and get new cell phone service and get a cell phone that acts as a Wifi hot spot.

Any ideas? My concern is that since I dont understand why the Trackfone 2X minutes does work but the 3X minute does NOT work, that I will get hooked up with some service and find out that it doesn't work up there..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 10:02 AM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
There are some internet comments confirming cell service at the Elevenmile campground for AT&T and Verizion and WiFi for Verizion. Also some comments that service is poor or nonexistent in the canyon. For data service at specific locations would be best to look at data service map at a carrier's site. You can usually zoom into to check specific spots.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:02 PM

So far.. (and still no internet)..

The Straight Talk (ST) web site shows that you can use their 4G hot spot near Elevenmile. ST has two 4G LTE versions, one that works with ATT network and one that works with Verizon network. The ST web site shows that the ATT version is supposed to work up there.

I have tried BOTH of these hardware versions (ATT and Verizon) up there and neither one works. Both of these hot spots indicate that they only see a 3G signal (this is within about 1/2 mile of Elevemile general store). However, if I take that ST 4G ATT hot spot to Lake George, it does work.. just not at Elevenmile.

So I then ordered the old ST 3G wireless hot spot and it comes only in a Verizon network version. I tried it up there.. does not work. I called ST to see if they could change it by some sort of software download to work wth ATT - the person told me that it would not work with Verizon.

I am thinking that its likely a 3G ATT network up there - and now have spent a fair amount on $15 cards to find out things dont work..

FYI, I like the ST option because you can buy 1 GB 1 month cards for $15 and that would have been all i needed.. Too bad it looks like ST is just not going to work.

FYI, I think only getting the 3G signal up there also explains why my old 2X minute Trackfone works but the newer 3X minute Trackfones dont work. The 3X minute Trackfones must be 4G LTE only and the 2X minute Trackfones are 3G. (at least that is what I think...)

Old 09-04-2016, 06:01 PM

Finally got internet at Elevenmile.. Friends would come up here with Verizon and get internet so I picked up a Verison hot spot and it works. Its a 3G signal so the hot spot has to work with 3G

Test post picture

Attached Thumbnails
Internet at Elevenmile-eleven1.jpg  

Old 09-05-2016, 12:21 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,608,601 times
Nice update.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado