Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 05:56 PM

664 posts, read 2,094,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Definitely a culture shock, but there are plenty of transplanted Texans in Durango .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona89A View Post
I wouldn't recommended Durango for Texans. Nobody here in Arizona or up in Durango wants Texans....
LOL..My parents lived in Pagosa Springs and my Father always complained about the Texans, though I had to remind him that his roots ran deep in Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I would choose Durango 100 out of 100 times over Houston.
Agreed 100%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 07:46 AM

4 posts, read 4,429 times
Thank you so much for all your comments my biggest worry are the kids and not adjusting well. We are in a A+ rating school district and to go to average is concerning. How long would you say the winter season last (with heavy snow etc.)?

Again thank you

Old 06-23-2016, 08:11 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccermomdrewzon View Post
Thank you so much for all your comments my biggest worry are the kids and not adjusting well. We are in a A+ rating school district and to go to average is concerning. How long would you say the winter season last (with heavy snow etc.)?

Again thank you
City-Data has excellent information on cities and towns around the country. Look at the page for Durango; there is all sorts of demographic, economic, and weather information. Probably answer any question you have, except for quality of schools. You may even be able to go to the school district website and find out what kind of programs the school offers.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:29 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,002,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccermomdrewzon View Post
How long would you say the winter season last (with heavy snow etc.)?
Again thank you
I'm not sure about Durango, but in the Front Range, the scenery is rather dormant and dead-looking from November through about April. It slowly emerges back into the summer faded-green around May or so. That's just the deciduous trees and plant life. Dryness rules the land here.

Snow is of course another factor, and the even bigger component of winter. The Front Range often has snow from November through May. It's much worse though on the west side of the mountains, and Durango is deep into that region. Many days where there is no snow on the east side of the mountains, the west side has lots of snow. It's bad enough on the east side, so I can't imagine living deep into the west side. A lot of people - especially natives - love that sort of thing, but it's insane for anyone who is used to warmer and more coastal/humid conditions.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:50 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
I'm not sure about Durango, but in the Front Range, the scenery is rather dormant and dead-looking from November through about April. It slowly emerges back into the summer faded-green around May or so. That's just the deciduous trees and plant life. Dryness rules the land here.

Snow is of course another factor, and the even bigger component of winter. The Front Range often has snow from November through May. It's much worse though on the west side of the mountains, and Durango is deep into that region. Many days where there is no snow on the east side of the mountains, the west side has lots of snow. It's bad enough on the east side, so I can't imagine living deep into the west side. A lot of people - especially natives - love that sort of thing, but it's insane for anyone who is used to warmer and more coastal/humid conditions.
I'm beginning to wonder if you have ever been to Durango. It gets 69 inches of annual snow which is far more like Denver (55 inches) than a mountain town like Dillon that gets 128 inches.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 06-23-2016 at 09:32 AM..

Old 06-23-2016, 11:22 AM

8,499 posts, read 8,794,511 times
Almost 90% of the snow that falls in Durango proper comes in Dec. - March (the only months to average 10 inches or more). Go 15-30 miles north and up 1-2 thousand feet and typically the snow will increase by 50-100% (or more) and extend the main season. It does snow in the mountains into May ocassionally and still possible later.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:01 PM

108 posts, read 389,762 times
I'll agree with average schools. They aren't bad, we just struggle with enough funding. There are some (limited) options. One public high school, the charter high school (Animas) may be full for the grades you need or not if you are looking at charters. You can choice in to either public middle school. The charter middle school (Mountain) would of already held their lottery several months ago. As far as public elementary schools, you essentially have to go where your routed school is based on your house location. There are three in-town elementary schools and three out of town schools. If you go with a rural house, you can be routed to a rural school or an in-town one based upon the address, so you definitely need to investigate that so it isn't a shocker. Attempting to get into to a different elementary school then your routed one can be impossible at some of the in-town elementary schools so you should live within the boundary lines if you want an in-town school.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:58 AM

15 posts, read 19,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona89A View Post
Durango, is liberal so yes a culture shock, I wouldn't recommended Durango for Texans. Nobody here in Arizona or up in Durango wants Texans due to their conservatism.

Colorado Springs, yes, its conservative.
LOL. This take is ridiculous. First, Durango isn't that liberal. Compared to actual liberal towns/cities in the US, it's centrist at best. Durango has numerous elected Republicans, including on the City Council. Second, Houston is a Democratic stronghold. The last 6 mayors have been Democrats.......2 women, 2 blacks, 1 lesbian. The US Congressman for Houston is, and has been, a Democrat almost my entire life. They were the first city in the US to pass laws requiring gender neutral restrooms in public. You call that "conservatism"? Third, your most recent mayor, Sweetie Marbury was born & raised in none other than Houston. Her great-great-grandfather was a Republican legislator. So please, spare us the diatribe about not wanting Texans in "liberal" Durango b/c of their conservatism.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:05 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,002,754 times
BusinessHorn - There's no need to defend Texans or explain that the state isn't as conservative (and widespread conservative) as outsiders think. If someone is going to say a dumb statement, it should be ignored, with no energy expended on a rebuttal.

Why not turn the tables and ask why someone in Arizona is trying to speak for the people of Durango, CO. I'll go ahead and play that game too: "No one in Colorado wants people from Arizona speaking for them and saying what's good or bad for Colorado". There, suck on that for awhile Az89A...

Old 09-16-2016, 07:39 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,343,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunner1982 View Post
LOL..My parents lived in Pagosa Springs and my Father always complained about the Texans, though I had to remind him that his roots ran deep in Texas.

Agreed 100%
We're thinking of pagosa springs. Do they live there full time. I liked pagosa over Durango. We're retired and selling a ranch in Oklahoma. Having 6 grandchildren in Oklahoma I'll have a condo in Oklahoma City too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado