Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 10:47 PM

5 posts, read 4,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Forget Boulder based on your housing budget. You may find something in Gunbarrel, which would have a Boulder address but it's really a separate area (IMO, anyway).
So you are all saying that I cannot afford with my budget in Boulder...

Why is it that I can find beautiful homes on Zillow for under my budget in Boulder?

I am finding all this to be irrelevent/outdated information that I am being provided with. I did not say I would be looking for a mansion.. I am looking for a 3 bedroom home. I find plenty of these on Zillow under the stated 650K budget.... SO where are you getting your facts from?

As far as traffic... No traffic can compare to southern california traffic. No traffic is "bad" compared to our traffic.

As far as traffic to mountain resorts. I am used to leaving the house at 4 or 5 AM to get to the slopes by opening time.... I will just leave early and eat breakfast at the slopes. I do not see any hassle in that.

Is Boulder weed friendly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 11:24 PM

8,499 posts, read 8,794,511 times
Cost of average home in Boulder surpasses $1 million - Boulder Daily Camera

There is an "average" and there will probably be a tier or two below the average and a tier or two above. You can buy above or below the average in places depending on your needs, tastes and analysis of appreciation potential based on how others see your house vs. the other options.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:16 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,947,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboyadjian View Post
So you are all saying that I cannot afford with my budget in Boulder...

Why is it that I can find beautiful homes on Zillow for under my budget in Boulder?

I am finding all this to be irrelevent/outdated information that I am being provided with. I did not say I would be looking for a mansion.. I am looking for a 3 bedroom home. I find plenty of these on Zillow under the stated 650K budget.... SO where are you getting your facts from?

Is Boulder weed friendly?
Technically you can find a few houses below $650k in Boulder. Currently I count 7 three bedroom houses that are in the actual city and under $650k, but all of those have issues and you better be pretty handy. If that is something you are interested in, then I recommend finding a month to month apartment and waiting for a house that meets your needs. You will have to act fast.

Almost all of Colorado is weed friendly, and Boulder is no different. Most people are cool with it, but your neighbors might get tired of the smell.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:17 AM

I appreciate everyones input.

As mentioned -- We plan to, plan a trip very soon to scout the area. We will make a winter trip and a spring trip, so that we can see Colorado winter.

What areas, other than boulder, do you recommend we visit that will match what we are looking for? Thanks for the input.
We of course plan to spend some time in denver/downtown denver.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:31 AM

8,499 posts, read 8,794,511 times
Real estate market stats can vary and be somewhat confusing. Mean and median listings and sale prices. Mean and median for the entire property base (including condos & duplexes) and just the single family homes. Better to look at listings to see what your money can buy than to worry too much about the averages, though they give you some big picture info. A market might be appealing at one price point and disappointing at another. And folks will disagree.

Old 10-12-2016, 12:18 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
I appreciate everyones input.

As mentioned -- We plan to, plan a trip very soon to scout the area. We will make a winter trip and a spring trip, so that we can see Colorado winter.

What areas, other than boulder, do you recommend we visit that will match what we are looking for? Thanks for the input.
We of course plan to spend some time in denver/downtown denver.
Look in the Denver neighborhoods of Berkeley, Highland, West Washington Park, and Baker.

Old 10-12-2016, 03:17 PM

6,759 posts, read 5,058,954 times
Quote:
I expect you are seeing homes in Gunbarrel. I consider it a bedroom community, even though the homes do have a Boulder address. It has a family/suburban feel to it, but without most of the amenities. You would have to visit to see if it interests you. If you want to be in downtown Boulder six nights a week it might make sense. Personally, I'd rather live in one of the nearby cities. Then you have lots of shopping, and at least a few dining and drinking alternatives close by, although the drive into Boulder proper is a little bit longer.

Last edited by hikernut; 10-12-2016 at 03:30 PM..

Old 10-12-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
I expect you are seeing homes in Gunbarrel. I consider it a bedroom community, even though the homes do have a Boulder address. It has a family/suburban feel to it, but without most of the amenities. You would have to visit to see if it interests you. If you want to be in downtown Boulder six nights a week it might make sense. Personally, I'd rather live in one of the nearby cities. Then you have lots of shopping, and at least a few dining and drinking alternatives close by, although the drive into Boulder proper is a little bit longer.
What cities are you referring to nearby? Which should I look into?

Old 10-12-2016, 04:58 PM

The closest ones are Louisville/Superior, Lafayette, and Longmont. We used to live in Louisville, and we could get most anywhere in Boulder within 15-20 minutes, non rush-hour. I expect Longmont is the most affordable of the three but I'm not certain. As stand-alone entities they are mostly nothing out of the ordinary, but they put you close to the foothills and mountains with some nice views and good access to outdoor activities. All three are in Boulder county, which can be an advantage when parking at some trailheads (at least when we lived there).

Let me clarify my previous statement... I would certainly live in Boulder if the housing cost were not an issue. Having great hiking and climbing very nearby is nice. But the price to get just a few miles closer is very high. Like they say... location, location, location.

If the nightlife is more important then Denver is probably a better choice. But if access to mountains is more important then Boulder county, or maybe Golden, is a better choice.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Just an FYI. Google maps shows drive time into downtown Boulder basically the same for (1) Gunbarrel, (2) Louisville, (3) south Longmont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado