Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 05:22 AM

7,195 posts, read 9,341,506 times

Advertisements

OP: At age 20, perhaps you could get a job in construction. There is now a huge boom in building and a big shortage of workers.

Colorado Springs employers battle tight labor market to fill openings | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

You really need to move beyond low wage jobs to afford Colorado.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 05:55 AM

6,825 posts, read 10,536,763 times
I wonder if camping could be an option while the weather is good to help you get by until you can find a place. Maybe you could find a roommate or two to help with expenses but yeah I think your idea of finding a room that someone is letting is a good option. I don't know if perhaps your girlfriend, being already in CO as I take it, could help in finding one by checking around, etc. Maybe being local she'll get more of a response.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:24 AM

21,638 posts, read 31,262,120 times
Denver will be significantly more affordable than Fairfield County, CT. According to Bankrate, about 25% cheaper. Average home price in Fairfield CT metro area is 626k, in Denver its 398k. Average rent in Fairfield is $2,200, in Denver, its $1,400.

Additionally, CT has the highest utility rates in the nation, highest vehicle property tax and a higher income tax.

You'll do far better working a lower wage job in Denver than you would in the coastal northeast. Without a doubt.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 07-17-2017 at 06:35 AM..

Old 07-17-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewest View Post
Not sure where you got that 40 - 45% cheaper info. I used to live in CT (Lichfield County), so I know the cost of living there. It is not that much different than the front range of CO (where most of the jobs are). The biggest cost of living (COL) expenses anywhere are housing and taxes. They are about the same here as back in CT. Insurance rates are about the same. All other "stuff" are the same too (cars, food, etc.). $2000 a month is not going to go far. Expect a basic existence lifestyle. $1100 for a studio in Fairfield, but a 1 bedroom apartment in Lafayette will be more.
Keep in mind, Litchfield County, what you're saying is very similar in cost to CO, is one of the cheapest counties in CT.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:03 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,092,266 times
As someone who has lived in Denver and southern CT, while Denver isn't CHEAP, it's way cheaper than most areas of CT. You'll save on gas, groceries, housing (and rent), every kind of tax you can think of, and your quality of life will go up...

Competition for jobs in the Northeast is also very high so my guess is it may be easier for you to find a well paying job in a smaller metro like Denver as opposed to the Fairfield County area (which is part of NYC metro).

Make the move... you won't regret it!

Old 07-17-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
As someone who has lived in Denver and southern CT, while Denver isn't CHEAP, it's way cheaper than most areas of CT. You'll save on gas, groceries, housing (and rent), every kind of tax you can think of, and your quality of life will go up...

Competition for jobs in the Northeast is also very high so my guess is it may be easier for you to find a well paying job in a smaller metro like Denver as opposed to the Fairfield County area (which is part of NYC metro).

Make the move... you won't regret it!
Denver has grown quite a bit so I'm not sure how low the competition would be there. You may be right about not being as cutthroat as metro NYC, but it also has a highly skilled workforce. It's no backwoods town.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:20 AM

10 posts, read 7,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
OP: At age 20, perhaps you could get a job in construction. There is now a huge boom in building and a big shortage of workers.

Colorado Springs employers battle tight labor market to fill openings | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

You really need to move beyond low wage jobs to afford Colorado.

Good Luck!
Did you read the post? Getting into construction is the plan so I can save and go to school and start making real money if I have what it takes to become a computer engineer.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I wonder if camping could be an option while the weather is good to help you get by until you can find a place. Maybe you could find a roommate or two to help with expenses but yeah I think your idea of finding a room that someone is letting is a good option. I don't know if perhaps your girlfriend, being already in CO as I take it, could help in finding one by checking around, etc. Maybe being local she'll get more of a response.
Camping could be a last resort! I didn't think of that! My girlfriends parents moved there about three weeks ago and my girlfriend just went out there on saturday. Another excellent idea, I'll ask her to get a couple news papers and look for rooms to rent! I'll also ask her to check online and maybe she'll be able to see a few places and make a good impression. Seriously thank you, what a tremendous help!

Old 07-17-2017, 08:29 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,950,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quavo808 View Post
Did you read the post? Getting into construction is the plan so I can save and go to school and start making real money if I have what it takes to become a computer engineer.
You don't need to take a job working retail to save up to work construction. A lot of construction companies/crews will give you a ride to the jobsite.

Also, perhaps you could find a sales job. It's like retail, but pays better. Nobody cares if their sales people went to college.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Denver will be significantly more affordable than Fairfield County, CT. According to Bankrate, about 25% cheaper. Average home price in Fairfield CT metro area is 626k, in Denver its 398k. Average rent in Fairfield is $2,200, in Denver, its $1,400.

Additionally, CT has the highest utility rates in the nation, highest vehicle property tax and a higher income tax.

You'll do far better working a lower wage job in Denver than you would in the coastal northeast. Without a doubt.
Thank you! Fairfield County is absolutely ridiculous. With the money I'm making now even if I was able to get a place here I'd fall behind on rent very soon and be kicked to the curb. Colorado would make it a million times easier for me to budget my money, everything here in Fairfield County is so painfully expensive. I don't understand where people are getting their information from when they tell me in person it's not cheaper out there... Maybe not EVERYTHING will be cheaper but overall it's significantly less expensive to live in CO.

Thanks for the info and reply!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado