Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 07:11 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I did a little research and people have been reporting a rise in 14er deaths for over a decade now, attributed to Colorado's increasing population and increased interest in extreme/adventure sports and getting that selfie amongst average folks from all over. The mountains can definitely be dangerous, and some significantly so, and while some are unprepared and underestimate the risks, often it is just a factor of increased traffic on the peaks - at least that is what people are thinking is going on. The same articles say that deaths are apparently down from historical rates and continuing to decline, but while rates are down, traffic is up so totals can increase.
I had many of the same thoughts while reading the original post. Hiking and recreational activities have become very popular in the past 15 years, and while it certainly promotes health and overall well being, I see A LOT of people on the trails (in many states) who have no business being on treks as strenuous as what they're attempting.

Many people simply push themselves too far and too hard, and if they're in groups the out-of-shapers become a huge burden on their more fit companions or family members. Sometimes people exhaust themselves at a certain point, continue to push themselves forward long past the point they should've turned back, and then find themselves wiped out even before the return trek.

I'm not trying to tell people who are out of shape to stay away from hiking, but please do stay within your ability level; what comes to my mind is a 275lb. guy (aprox?) hiking up a trail in Yellowstone who was out of breath and he was only 1/3rd of the way up when I passed him. I completed the climb, ate lunch, turned around and the guy was still only a little over half the way up, hadn't even hit the strenuous switchbacks yet, and it was getting to be late afternoon....long past his turn around point, not to mention that blubberballs are just asking for a knee or ankle injury which are bad enough when they happen to fit people.

Most places have several trail options and it's all about selection. No one also has to push themselves farther than what their ability can carry them with reasonable safety. Look, I've climbed Mt. Hood and Mt. Rainier and plenty of big peaks in Canada, Wyoming and Colorado, but I'm not about to climb Annapurna or K2 without training for a couple years first. Common sense always wins the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 07:26 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
It's on Aspen Daily. Sad.

I've never been up Capitol Peak, but have camped right below it. It's quite an impressive looking Summit.
I wanna hike in and camp near Capitol Lake sometime, too. It looks amazing. That being said there's no way I'll ever bag that peak. Way above my pay grade.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:04 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I wanna hike in and camp near Capitol Lake sometime, too. It looks amazing. That being said there's no way I'll ever bag that peak. Way above my pay grade.
Did a 3 day trip in there a few years back. Up Avalanche Creek and camped near the lake. It's gorgeous.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:23 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
After seeing more details I'm finding it extremely difficult to have sympathy for the kid who fell on Capitol Peak over the weekend. Capitol was his first 14er (bad decision #1). He climbed it in skateboard shoes (bad decision #2). He didn't have enough water (bad decision #3). He got a late start (bad decision #4). He blatantly ignored the advice of his vastly-more-experienced climbing partner about the north face cliffing out (bad decision #5).

On Capitol committing even 1 of those mistakes can get you injured or killed. To think that he might still be alive if he hadn't committed #5 after all the dumb crap he did is astounding.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 08-29-2017 at 11:46 PM..

Old 08-30-2017, 07:06 AM

1,951 posts, read 2,300,032 times
I think I will stick to places like Mt Evans and Pikes peak . I can take a selfie and enjoy the incredible scenery without falling...

Old 08-30-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
After seeing more details I'm finding it extremely difficult to have sympathy for the kid who fell on Capitol Peak over the weekend. Capitol was his first 14er (bad decision #1). He climbed it in skateboard shoes (bad decision #2). He didn't have enough water (bad decision #3). He got a late start (bad decision #4). He blatantly ignored the advice of his vastly-more-experienced climbing partner about the north face cliffing out (bad decision #5).

On Capitol committing even 1 of those mistakes can get you injured or killed. To think that he might still be alive if he hadn't committed #5 after all the dumb crap he did is astounding.
His climbing partner shouldn't have gone with him.

On 4 out of the 5 deaths on Capitol this year it sounds like people took alternate routes.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:50 AM

Mountain Rescue Aspen launches Peak Awareness to promote safety

Old 09-16-2017, 12:40 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
I can't even imagine being out hiking in some of those mountains! The last time I drove on Independence Pass to, and beyond, Aspen, I could barely do it; panic was setting in. I hugged the side of the mountain, and hoped that no cars came from the opposite direction, as it was only 1-1/2 lanes wide. I'll never take that route again. The first time I drove it, a few years ago, I was unfazed. I thought the scenery was spectacular. This last time, it almost seemed like the scenery was out to get me--those sheer drops! No thanks! I'll stay safe, and will drive to Carbondale through Leadville, which is a beautiful drive, anyway.

I suppose the hiking tragedies might be chalked up to overconfidence.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:24 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,192,137 times
Wouldn't surprise if some of these are caused by people going beyond their abilities. I recall first responders putting out warnings this past summer for the manitou incline after an increase in frequency of calls for help.

With skiing or snowboarding, you start on the bunny hills and work your up to the double diamonds. Same goes for hiking, you shouldn't start on the hardest terrain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado