Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 08:32 AM

31 posts, read 72,416 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the suggestions on nearby towns but we are looking for a true "out the back door" lifestyle with the mountain as close as possible. Ideally a major mountain with plenty of terrain... 3k+ of vert and 3,000+ of acreage roughly is ideal. Steamboat, snowmass and vail/beav seem to fit the bill perfectly. We are leaning towards Aspen because of the excellent schools... I've read the high school was #1 in the state a couple years ago. Pretty impressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 08:38 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,947,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchsun View Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestions outside the core areas but the dream is to be "out the back door" or as close to that as possible. Drop kids at school and be at the slopes within a few minutes. And preferably a larger resort as well, 3k vert and 3,000 in bound acres roughly is ideal.
This might work out for you, but I feel like I should warn you that close to the slopes will be tourists and retirees. Nothing wrong with either group, but you won't have other families near by for play dates, BBQs, etc.

I live in Boulder, and it seems like 25% of the parents around here used to live near a ski resort until their kids got to elementary school age.

Maybe you could rent for a year and make sure you are in the right place.

Also, My kids raced at Beaver Creek, and all of the local families lived in Eagle or Gypsum. I have friends with kids that live in the Aspen area, and they live in Carbondale. In Steamboat the families tend to live closer to town. I hope that helps!

Old 09-15-2017, 09:37 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions on nearby towns but we are looking for a true "out the back door" lifestyle with the mountain as close as possible. Ideally a major mountain with plenty of terrain... 3k+ of vert and 3,000+ of acreage roughly is ideal. Steamboat, snowmass and vail/beav seem to fit the bill perfectly. We are leaning towards Aspen because of the excellent schools... I've read the high school was #1 in the state a couple years ago. Pretty impressive.
Please let us know where you end up. I think $1.5M is not going to go as far as you hope it will.

Old 09-15-2017, 03:18 PM

6,759 posts, read 5,058,954 times
Quote:
We are leaning towards Aspen because of the excellent schools... I've read the high school was #1 in the state a couple years ago. Pretty impressive.
I'm a bit skeptical of school rankings. They can have as much to do with the student population as the school itself. I'd expect a lot of kids in that district come from pretty high socioeconomic backgrounds.

Also, I'd be very cautious about expecting to drive your kids a long way to school in the mountains. The school year roughly corresponds with winter.

Old 09-15-2017, 03:25 PM

6,759 posts, read 5,058,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
This might work out for you, but I feel like I should warn you that close to the slopes will be tourists and retirees. Nothing wrong with either group, but you won't have other families near by for play dates, BBQs, etc.
That's a great point. Lots of absentee homeowners, and the population is more transient. I think it would get old living in close proximity to tourists all of the time.

Living close to a resort town appeals to me, but not right in the thick of it. Something like the already-mentioned Basalt or Carbondale, or parts of Steamboat that are not right near the ski area.

Old 09-15-2017, 03:34 PM

8,500 posts, read 8,794,511 times
IF the OP has issues with too much sun, CO will either require consistent use of sunscreen, long sleeves even in summer, big hats, mid-day sun avoidance, etc. or it might not be the best choice. The northwest is much milder on UV index.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:35 AM

31 posts, read 72,416 times
It seems to be a common theme when ski towns are mentioned for year round living that several people will comment that there is no real community and mostly tourists... but what about the well established k-12 schools, public libraries, churches and community rec centers that towns like aspen have? Hoping you guys can clarify because these are the things that make up our everyday life now and they are all present in the communities I mentioned in the original post.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:04 AM

998 posts, read 1,237,760 times
As mentioned, I think $1.5 is very light for a single family home in Aspen-Snowmass, where the average price of a home this year is $7.2 (in Aspen ... where as they say, the millionaires were long ago priced out of town by the centimillionaires who are now being priced out by the billionaires).

Another city to put on your "look at list" would be Park City Utah, average home price there is $1.5 and about $900 k in the basin just outside of the small city limits.

I have family that live full-time in both places (Aspen and PC); Park City folks have a regular family life and are involved in the community with high school children playing sports, etc.
The Aspen person is single, late twenties and does complain about lack of opportunity for quality relationships ... As did a female friend who lived in Park City when she was 25-30; taught school but got tired of the slackers working resort jobs and only interested in partying and skiing and the tourist who were just interested in a fling. One advantage of Park City is that you're 40 minutes from a major International hub airport, so if you need to travel at all it's very convenient.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:22 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
IF the OP has issues with too much sun, CO will either require consistent use of sunscreen, long sleeves even in summer, big hats, mid-day sun avoidance, etc. or it might not be the best choice. The northwest is much milder on UV index.

Perhaps in some parts of the Northwest. 3 years ago, I spent 9 months in Ashland Oregon. If anything, it was hotter there in the summer with more intense sunlight than it is right here in Grand Junction. That little bit of additional humidity in the air seemed to intensify the sunlight. And the constant smoky air that summer ( 2014 ) was a royal pain in the *ss!

Old 09-17-2017, 09:22 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
It seems to be a common theme when ski towns are mentioned for year round living that several people will comment that there is no real community and mostly tourists... but what about the well established k-12 schools, public libraries, churches and community rec centers that towns like aspen have? Hoping you guys can clarify because these are the things that make up our everyday life now and they are all present in the communities I mentioned in the original post.
I don't think there is no real community. There is just more community that isn't slopeside. I was up at my friend' s place in Snowmass this summer. There is only one other family who is year round in their neighborhood and they are retired. Before writing off Carbondale and Basalt, I would really recommend visiting. I have friends with kids who just moved there from Denver and they love it. Lots of families and tons of mountain activities. It's also much more down to earth than Aspen.

I live in an ~$2.0M house in Denver. There is no way I would sell and move to Aspen even if I could work from there. It's such a strange place and I love to ski mountains and surrounding areas. The pretentiousness is overboard. I would consider Telluride, but it's much more remote. I think Basalt and Carbondale are much more family friendly.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 09-17-2017 at 09:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado