Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2008, 03:29 PM

4 posts, read 9,875 times

Advertisements

Well, we currently live in So Cal...and it seems like everyone AND their moms want to live here. lol...we dont love it here either and are looking to move, so over the next lets say 2 years we are going to do extensive research. I know 2 years seems long, but we have 3 very young children, and need to be sure we move to the place that is right for all of us.....

here is the criteria i am looking for:
Not to far from a major city
Mountains
SOME body of water, preferably a river
Land
KID FRIENDLY

Could you guys give me some ideas of where to look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 05:19 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forerox5 View Post
Well, we currently live in So Cal...and it seems like everyone AND their moms want to live here. lol...we dont love it here either and are looking to move, so over the next lets say 2 years we are going to do extensive research. I know 2 years seems long, but we have 3 very young children, and need to be sure we move to the place that is right for all of us.....

here is the criteria i am looking for:
Not to far from a major city
Mountains
SOME body of water, preferably a river
Land
KID FRIENDLY

Could you guys give me some ideas of where to look?
What's wrong with SoCal? I've heard the weather there is great, lots of jobs, higher salaries, movie stars, the beach, great geography, art, theater, clubs, restaurants, culture, museums, etc. You can go skiing in the morning and surfing in the afternoon. Everybody is into fitness.

What line of work are you in?
Where might you find a job?
What is your rent budget or housing price range?
Why did you look to Colorado?

Old 03-17-2008, 05:38 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Evergreen, CO is a place we've looked at for the same things you're looking for.. the houses seemed to be about 45min from denver proper, land, mountains, not too far from recreation areas in the denver area and one of the properties we saw had a nice little stream running through it. The schools seem to be very highly rated as well

Old 03-17-2008, 06:08 PM

2 posts, read 6,629 times
I lived in Boulder and that is a very friendly place for all lifestyles, people and such

Old 03-18-2008, 12:02 AM

4 posts, read 9,875 times
haha, Charles...have you ever been to southern California? in the past 2 years or so? yes...to visit, i would say so cal is great, if you have all the time in the world to waste sitting on a freeway, sure you could go skiing in big bear then sit in traffic for 3 hours to get the the beach and surf....its sad. I have three young children, and i need a better quality of life that we wont get here. its become so stuffy, and expensive...i want my kids to be able to enjoy life and not be in the middle of a freeway to get to the places they want to go. I want them to be surrounded by nature and know the simple way of living...im not a hippie either... So sorry for the tangent...i could tell you much more about so cal if you'd like, but for us, its not the best place.

As for your other questions.
Well, my husband is in the HVAC and Service business. looking to do a possible career change to law enforcement. As for me, i am a stay at home mom with dreams of owning a bakery/cafe....but that wont be for 10 years at least...
housing, if renting no more than 900 a month and to buy no more than 250,000

Well, i am researching Colorado, and Oregon. For the nature, the rivers, and the population. i like the city, but id rather not live in it, i want a little land, and to be close to nature....like i could ride my bike a short drive.
i dont want some little creek either as far as rivers go, i want to really learn how to white water raft...so all of these things.

I have this vision in my head and i hope im not crazy to ask for all of these things. my world must exist somewhere.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:05 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
. "I have three young children,"
That's a lot of mouthes to feed, so there will need to be considerable income.

"a possible career change to law enforcement."
Law enforcement, while a commendable occupation, doesn't pay a lot.

"i am a stay at home mom"
Good for you! Children absolutely need a parent at home.

"with housing, if renting no more than 900 a month and to buy no more than
250,000"
You can buy for a lot less than a quarter million in many areas. $900 rent is about what you'll pay minimum for a family of five.

"I have this vision in my head and i hope im not crazy to ask for all of these things. my world must exist somewhere."

You're not crazy at all. I think you will be able to make a life in Colorado. Don't buy at first, and don't buy too much house when you do. You are an increasingly rare "nuclear family" and are clearly prepared to work and sacrifice for what you hope to achieve.
I'm confident that you will succeed!

Old 03-18-2008, 04:49 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
haha, Charles...have you ever been to southern California? in the past 2 years or so? yes...to visit, i would say so cal is great, if you have all the time in the world to waste sitting on a freeway, sure you could go skiing in big bear then sit in traffic for 3 hours to get the the beach and surf...
Sure that's a problem if you commute but if you live near where you work (or you live near a main line transit like the subway or metro) there is no problem with commuting. There are plenty of nice homes to raise kids in south Pasadena, South Redondo beach, Burbank, parts of Long Beach that aren't killer expensive and have good schools. Seal Beach is another place but it is a little more expensive.

Have you checked Craigslist for housing for five people with plenty of land with jobs near streams and mountains and close to a city.......and $900/month (or $250K)?

Last edited by Charles; 03-18-2008 at 05:14 AM..

Old 03-18-2008, 05:22 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
I agree with Charles that it is unlikely that you will find all of what you want in one spot, but I assume that your list of preferences is just that: preferences, not requirements. I do believe that with some compromises you can make a life for your family and yourself somewhere in CO.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:48 AM

290 posts, read 523,942 times
Default 2 suggestions

I'm a native from Colorado, but it sounds to me like the exact place you are describing is Spokane, WA. I went to college there and they have 100 lakes within 60 miles. Mountains, Skiing, Schools are great and just like Colorado 300 days of sunshine a year. Incomes and housing are low, but an HVAC tech will do allright. The closest thing to what you are describing in Colorado is Pueblo. Near some of the very few large lakes and rivers in Colorado with a low cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado