Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2006, 12:50 PM

7 posts, read 32,705 times

Advertisements

I would like to move my photographic art gallery and business from the San Diego Area, and Canon City CO came up on the radar. Looking for a quaint, tourist destination type of place to continue my art work, and enjoy a pleasant, relaxing lifestyle as well. Will someone please give me any thoughts you have about the Canon City area? Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2006, 02:14 PM

616 posts, read 3,005,216 times
I believe the major economic factor in Canon City are the several state and federal prisons located nearby, not the relatively small amount of tourism that the Royal Gorge attracts.

You may want to try some of the mountain towns or Estes Park for better tourist spots for your business.

BTW - We moved from San Diego two years ago to Colorado. SD was nice, but I am sure glad we got out of there.

Old 12-10-2006, 05:47 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,916,764 times
My dad has a development in Cañon City and I am actually thinking about moving there - seriously - in the next year or so.

Cañon is a great small town and they very much support the arts there. There are a few photog people in the area.

It's pretty low-key area with lots of beautiful scenery. There will be a new development (not related to my father's) building up closer to the Royal Gorge Bridge I hear. Should really open up the area to more tourism and such. I can't remember all the details but should be good for the local economy.

Go to the Cañon City's chamber of commerce website and get a packet from them.

It's a unique and starting to boom little town.

BTW, other communities like Penrose and such around there are starting to boom too.

Hope that helps.

We might be neighbors if you move there. :-)

Old 12-20-2006, 08:27 PM

265 posts, read 873,793 times
Default In September of this year,

I spent a few days in the Canon City area to check it out as a possible retirement location. It is a nice town with new stores etc going in. Big change from when I first drove thru about 20 years earlier.

You should also check out Florence which is a near by town. It has an artsy flavor to it from driving down the main street. Also I was told that people from Colorado Springs do drive down to shop in Florence on the weekends. Looking for antiques, art, etc. I don't know that for sure. Its just something that was mentioned.

I liked the town itself. The old main street area has been revitalized and is now quite nice. Also in September there were lots of tourists in town. So you might be on the right track .

Jim

Old 12-21-2006, 08:04 PM

29 posts, read 261,732 times
Florence (Flo-town) is a dump (I know ive lived here for 18 years) There are absolutely no job opportunities and nothing fun to do here (Penrose is infintitely worse, however). Every kid I know here cant wait to get out but most cant. NYC FOREVER!

Old 12-22-2006, 06:10 AM

368 posts, read 831,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Te amo no puedo pararme View Post
Florence (Flo-town) is a dump (I know ive lived here for 18 years) There are absolutely no job opportunities and nothing fun to do here (Penrose is infintitely worse, however). Every kid I know here cant wait to get out but most cant. NYC FOREVER!
Yes when your'e a kid growing up in a small town you think big city here I come, then as you get older you realize that small town is looking pretty good.

Canon city is a wonderful place with beautiful scenery all around. Good luck on your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado