Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2017, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 687 times

Advertisements

Looking for some helpful information about the Colorado area (but open to other possibilities), looking to move in a about year from Emporia, Kansas. I will graduate in May of 2018 with my BFA in Graphic Design.
I also work at a local brewery in Emporia as a cook. (for experience reasons)

If things go as planned, I would be moving with two people. Preferring a small home, mostly because of my two dogs and cat. I'm an avid art, dog/animal/nature, music, coffee, and food lover. (4/20 friendly as well) I'm looking for a city that is smaller in size but still just a drive away to some larger cities, somewhere that isn't overly expensive (ex. $1300 a month) but I do realize that the cost of living will be a drastic change from what I deal with now, $350 a month for a single-family sized house.

Coming from a red state with a lot of rural surrounding areas, so I'm looking for a more open minded and liberal community. I enjoy the feel of the small-ish towns, things like the farmers market, live local bands, locally owned shops/boutiques/antique shops, art galleries, etc.

Somewhere there isn't extreme weather conditions/heavy snow and some days of sunshine would be nice too. I enjoy walking my dogs a lot, so a nearby area for them to run and play would be something I would like as well.

Job wise, hoping to find a graphic design firm/company to sell my soul to for a couple of years and would also consider working at a restaurant or brewery on the side.

Just looking for some advice or opinions on where would be a good fit for someone with my interests.
Thanks for the help in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 12:50 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Hi.

It is kinda hard to guess what you mean by "smaller" as different people mean different things by that. If 50-100,000 population is ok, then maybe look at Loveland, Longmont, Castle Rock. If you prefer under 25k, then maybe Golden or Louisville. If you want even smaller, say how small.

Are you willing to commute to bigger city? I'd think there would many more positions in your field in Denver, Colorado Springs, maybe Fort Collins. You don't have to live in them but it would help with recommendations to know if you'd commute to them and how far.

Last edited by NW Crow; 11-27-2017 at 01:09 PM..

Old 11-27-2017, 03:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
If you want this....
Quote:
(with mountains & wildlife
1st.... explore all options within your chosen terrain.... (there are many great mtn towns with good economy, including jobs)

Next consider OTHER states / locations with jobs, + mtns and wildlife. (Such as income tax free WY, SD, WA, AK)

LAST.... consider the front range. Lots of competition for jobs, housing, entertainment + you get stuck in traffic when you and 500,000 others from front range head for the hills.

Front range CO is a lot like KS., but more traffic and smog.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:27 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Front range CO is a lot like KS., but more traffic and smog.
I’ve lived in Kansas. This is soooo inaccurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado