Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2018, 07:23 AM

2 posts, read 9,791 times

Advertisements

My wife and I looking to uproot our family from congested Modesto Ca and move to a more less congested, populated area like Pueblo West, Pueblo or even Colorado Springs. Like most loving parents we are looking to move our kids to a safe neighborhood, town, city, etc..I’ve read about areas in these cities that are troubled by crime that we need to avoid to help keep our family safer. What I haven’t read or found in these forums was anything about local flash flooding or major flooding areas to avoid moving to. I heard Pueblo can have flash flooding. Can anyone please fill me in on what areas to avoid?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 08:06 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,454,174 times
Flooding is not a problem in Pueblo or Colorado Springs.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:48 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,938,853 times
Do you have a housing budget? That alone will determine the best city for you. Pueblo has some really nice areas that are fairly cheap even the Springs still has relatively affordable housing in various areas.

Old 03-03-2018, 12:15 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,385,848 times
The Colorado relocatee trifecta of questions: housing budget, where/what is work, how good is good for schools?

Lesser questions would then fall into safety concerns, crime tolerance, recreation desires, housing styles, commutes, neighborhoods, views, so on and so forth.

Old 03-03-2018, 02:22 PM

6,821 posts, read 10,512,019 times
Flash flooding can happen in either city, but generally in very localized areas - just stay more than a stone's throw away from the creeks and rivers and that takes care of the vast majority of it. Have you visited either of these cities yet?

Old 03-03-2018, 03:58 PM

2 posts, read 9,791 times
Thank you all for your responses. My wife and I plan on flying out there in May. We are really excited and if you have anymore input on good areas to look at to relocate please let me know.

Thank you,

Junioro81

Old 03-03-2018, 04:02 PM

22 posts, read 41,126 times
Pueblo West is generally more affluent and less crime-ridden. I much prefer Colorado Springs, though. The Springs is very sprawling so it's tough to narrow down the right areas for you, but in general, the further north you get in the city, the less crime there is.

Old 03-03-2018, 04:39 PM

6,821 posts, read 10,512,019 times
If you can't make up your mind, split the difference and live in Fountain.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:22 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,385,848 times
There is a really big list of pros/cons to each city for considerably different reasons. I'll touch on a few items below. Budget, work, schools, and crime will also vary widely, sometimes within very short distances. We can provide a lot more detailed info on all areas if we better know where you fall within those reasons.

Pueblo, pros - more historic structures, older history, sits on a major river system, historic manufacturing town, more diverse resident base, easy access to water recreation, home grown arts and festivals, wide range of recreation opportunities, wide range of schools. a major university within the city.

Pueblo, cons - higher unemployment, struggling schools districts, some high crime areas, some potential superfund areas, higher drug use, higher teen pregnancy rates, limited access to a range of employers, higher summer temps, more gang activity.

COS, pros - sits at the base of a eastern most 14er (Pikes Peak), has international visitors through various events, USOTC training, and military, has a broad range of housing styles, choices, and density, has a fairly highly educated workforce, has a fair number of technology jobs and manufacturing centers, has some schools rated highly within the state, has three major universities.

COS, cons - high military population percentage creates employment barriers, increasing homeless population, fiscally conservative local government, national reputation of being socially conservative, rapidly escalating real estate prices with limited inventory, heavier traffic congestion.

We really need more detail to provide you better direction.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:17 PM

17,997 posts, read 27,448,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioBuild View Post
Pueblo West is generally more affluent and less crime-ridden. I much prefer Colorado Springs, though. The Springs is very sprawling so it's tough to narrow down the right areas for you, but in general, the further north you get in the city, the less crime there is.
Colorado Springs is great if you are super rich and live in the White-flight Briargate area and are independently rich or don't mind commuting to Denver DTC for a decent enough job to afford your expensive neighborhood.

But I'd rather live in Pueblo and especially Pueblo West than run-down crime ridden southeast CoSprings area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado