Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2018, 10:31 AM

924 posts, read 1,021,703 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I just bought a cb500x to explore out of colorado springs. do you guys recommend easy dirt roads that are nice and flat and super scenic? that I can do on a cb500x?

cb500x is like a light adventure bike more oriented towards street, but still capable of easy trails.

any recommendations would great!!!

anything near

COS
buena vista
woodland park
tarryall
mt princeton

I do a bunch of trails on my ATV, but getting my life on the bike ha ha
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 11:04 AM

6,825 posts, read 10,522,918 times
TYou could also consider breaking it in out on the eastern rural county dirt roads - it is more scenic out there than many people realize.

Last edited by otowi; 05-01-2018 at 11:56 AM..

Old 05-01-2018, 11:34 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
There are several CO rider's groups, but a great on-line resource for Motorcycle adventure riding will help you find some treasures:
Adventure Rider
https://womenadvriders.com/

We recently hosted an 80 yo gal who has ridden all over the world.

We met her in Colorado and rode the areas around Independence Pass and then Northern Colorado and southern WY.

I ride 500s also (vintage only)
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...1004-500xt.jpg
and this sweet ole gal I got from Colorado for $400. (100+ MPG)
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...1005-tl250.jpg
and a pack of xs 650's 'kenny roberts' version from my 'sturgis days' circa 1970's
https://silodrome.com/king-kenny-rob...t-track-racer/

Old 05-01-2018, 01:49 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,392,226 times
Rampart Range road out of Garden of the Gods to Deckers.

Old Stage Rd in the Broadmoor to Gold Camp Rd to Victor.

Phantom Canyon.

Nearly any County Rd in Teller County.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:46 PM

924 posts, read 1,021,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
TYou could also consider breaking it in out on the eastern rural county dirt roads - it is more scenic out there than many people realize.

oh! never thought of east. I always imagined it being pretty falt; but being less people, I would image its ton safer and even more trails ha ha!

Old 05-01-2018, 05:37 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,522,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
oh! never thought of east. I always imagined it being pretty falt; but being less people, I would image its ton safer and even more trails ha ha!
Yeah it can be fairly flat but you find interesting/strange things out there sometimes - old abandoned schools, kit foxes, ornate box turtles, lots of Pronghorn, etc. - it can be kind of cool. And some of the roads I've been on - they're so rarely used that you'll encounter one other vehicle and an hour and they'll ask you what you're doing there.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:36 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Yeah it can be fairly flat but you find interesting/strange things out there sometimes - old abandoned schools, kit foxes, ornate box turtles, lots of Pronghorn, etc. - it can be kind of cool. And some of the roads I've been on - they're so rarely used that you'll encounter one other vehicle and an hour and they'll ask you what you're doing there.
Otowi is right, I'm familiar with the Ellicot/Rush/Yoder area. It's only about a 35 minute drive out to those small towns from, say Powers Ave. when you get on 24 east and the mountain view will surprise you even that far out east.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:47 PM

77 posts, read 87,564 times
Near BV:

Cottonwood pass is going to be closed all year. They are paving the Gunnison county side all the way to Taylor park. I think they will allow traffic to the top of the pass on the Chaffee county side for the summer season but the road opening varies each year. It should be open any day now weather permitting.

Lots of nice dirt roads up by Four Mile rec area but they are not flat. No problem for your cb.

Up Chalk creek canyon and over Tin Cup/Hancock pass is gorgeous. Again, not flat but fun on a dual sport.

Not sure when Independence Pass opens but it’s paved all the away to Aspen. Some of the curves tighten so watch for that. The CDOT website will tell you when the passes open but it should be soon. The mineral belt around Chaffee county has some of the best riding in the country just be careful of lightning in the summer when the monsoons come. Happy motoring.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:02 PM

5,362 posts, read 5,136,516 times
Phantom Canyon and Old stage and Skyline Dr. in Canyon city are a must.

Black Forest is great for close in riding. By Hodgen and Volmer it turns to dirt and is really pretty all the way to Kiowa. Straight east of the Springs is a bit hit or miss. Sometimes it can just be flat and straight. I'd go northeast, there's good roads all the way from Black Forest to Parker.

105 west of I 25 is pretty, but paved.

I'd make Black Forest and Phantom Canyon the first on the list.

If you want a bike then camp trip, Go east on 24 till you hit 285 and go north a couple miles till you hit Buffalo Peaks wilderness area. It's closed till June, but open after that. You can ride most of the stuff there in on a street bike

Old 05-02-2018, 08:16 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,392,226 times
I would advise that if you are driving out east, be VERY attentive to cross roads and traffic you may encounter. There is still an percentage of inattentive and high speed drivers in the eastern part of the county that think its lower population density allow them to blow through traffic signs and disregard some traffic laws. Not everyone does this, but it only takes one of them to ruin your day or worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado