Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2018, 05:00 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times

Advertisements

https://theknow.denverpost.com/2018/...entals/191451/

"When you type #vanlife into Instagram, 3,504,656 (and counting!) posts reveal transformed vintage vehicles, couples cozied up sleeping bags, jaw-dropping scenery and epic outdoor adventures.

A profile in The New Yorker last year traced its roots back to 2012 and coined it a “bohemian social-media movement.” Since then, the idyllic lifestyle for freedom-chasers has only grown in popularity.

Social media makes the transition from real life to the simple life look way too easy and way too tempting. But lucky for Coloradans, camper van rental companies are popping up across the state so you can take a vacation in one before making a major life decision. There’s also Outdoorsy — the Airbnb of RVs — which has listings in almost every major city in the country.

Few adventures compare to taking a good old Rocky Mountain road trip, so we’ve rounded up the five best options to try living your best #vanlife without the commitment. Bonus: they’re all open year-round so you can tackle multiple mountains and/or score first tracks on your next ski trip."

This would be a good way to try out a camper van. I have several retired friends who are thinking about buying something like this. It seems to me it would be better to rent one unless you plan to use it frequently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 08:31 AM

8,499 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Renting before buying would be a sensible start.

At $89 - $220 per day, it is like combining a car rental with a motel bill (of budget level or higher). Simple car camping would be way cheaper. A utility trailer or cheap old popup trailer would haul more stuff for probably less. But for some the space, extras and coolness & coziness might be worth it, occasionally or long term.

Trying to do it "professionally" is competitive. Being a good deal maker or having model looks or a compelling story is helpful / maybe necessary. Not that available to all. But I seen a variety of people make at least a little. From product placements, pretty rare sponsorship or even just ads on blogs.

From reading those travel blogs, a lot wear out on the lifestyle in one summer to a few years. Even folks that go 5 plus years often retire from it eventually or for part of the year. Folks should do it their way. Part way, all the way, varying. Within their budget and compatibly with their responsibilities and priorities.

A van has advantages for stealth camping, especially in urban areas. But you have to figure out if you are comfortable with that. There are risks and hassles.

Away from cities, you have campgrounds with wi-fi, showers, etc., the standard ones for $15-25 a pop or remote free campgrounds and boondock sites. Good to know how much time & money you are willing to spend moving around. Timing the tour for best weather, acceptable crowd levels is key for travel happiness.

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-05-2018 at 09:09 AM..

Old 08-05-2018, 09:15 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Renting before buying would be a sensible start.

At $89 - $220 per day, it is like combining a car rental with a motel bill (of budget level or higher). Simple car camping would be way cheaper. A utility trailer or cheap old popup trailer would haul more stuff for probably less. But for some the space, extras and coolness & coziness might be worth it, occasionally or long term.

Trying to do it "professionally" is competitive. Being a good deal maker or having model looks or a compelling story is helpful / maybe necessary. Not that available to all. But I seen a variety of people make at least a little. From product placements, pretty rare sponsorship or even just ads on blogs.

From reading those travel blogs, a lot wear out on the lifestyle in one summer to a few years. Even folks that go 5 plus years often retire from it eventually or for part of the year. Folks should do it their way. Part way, all the way, varying. Within their budget and compatibly with their responsibilities and priorities.

A van has advantages for stealth camping, especially in urban areas. But you have to figure out if you are comfortable with that. There are risks and hassles.

Away from cities, you have campgrounds with wi-fi, showers, etc., the standard ones for $15-25 a pop or remote free campgrounds and boondock sites. Good to know how much time & money you are willing to spend moving around. Timing the tour for best weather, acceptable crowd levels is key for travel happiness.
The OP and the article were talking about vacation rentals, not fulltiming, right?

Fulltiming would be like living in a tiny home—idyllic fantasy life only for a few who could stand permanent residence in such tight quarters, especially if not single. People who have had to live in their cars (not by choice) could probably provide some feedback on this fantasy!

Old 08-05-2018, 11:33 AM

8,499 posts, read 8,790,853 times
The article talked a bit about full-timing and then shifted to rentals. The OP discussed both, weighing one against the other. I mentioned both as well but blabbed more about owning / full-timing fwiw.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
poptopheaven was Colorado based at one time (as was Rialtaheaven).

I see (6) other Colorado van rentals in a web search. GREAT business in NZ, so I am not surprised.. (fortunately NZ gets an endless supply of Right Hand Drive vans (including Diesels) from Japan. Many people outfit them VERY nice, and also very useful to convert back to passenger (~2 hrs) (Raised platforms (beds) with 'roll-out; kitchens / storage / waste ware tanks). Of course "roof-top" tents are far more popular overseas than USA. (not hard to wonder why... )

To think of all the <$2000 Westies I sold... tough to find them now for under $20k.

Conversion / camper vans make really nice FT retirement vehicles (for at least (1) vehicle in your fleet). Especially if you are on the road much and / or doing building / remodel projects (volunteer or income producing).

Many options, But I will probably pursue doing my own Chrysler Minivan poptops (since they are expendable and CHEAP vehicles (to buy, insure, repair)). I buy them for under $1k, and get about 200 - 300k miles, then donate them to a homeless rehab Vocational program.

IIRC, you can only get poptops done in Canada (liability issues for USA builders). But it is just a road trip. (4) of my early retiree engineer friends had conversion vans done in Canada (while they were serving their last few weeks at work... then Poof - Gone!.

You can tow a 'toad' (econo-car) if you are going to leave the camper set up in a National Park volunteer RV place. I take a vintage (Light, VERY fast...) motorcycle when out in my Rialta or campervan, and even in the future can fit on my 'teardrop' for 44 mpg RVing using free fuel. My Rialta and my next Westy will be getting Diesels if the VR6 ever wears out. A neighbor has done over (20) westy / Eurovan Diesel conversions. They get about 32 to 35mpg. Not bad for RV'ing. (on free fuel)

All said and done... Snowbear Util trailer (ex-Costco model) is my workhorse (and future Teardrop with 'slide-in' poptop camper). It just LOVES to travel behind my 48 HP VW's or may Rialta, Minivans, or my Cummins dually 4x4 dump trucks. Did a 3000 mile trip as a 'Hearse' when I needed to bury a family member... What a great trips to his final resting place... Tetons, Big Horns, Yellowstone, Devil's Tower, Mt Rushmore, Badlands, Wall Drug, Mitchell Corn Palace (where his band had played many a 'polka!)... Yes... while towed Behind the camper van! But the Campervan was too small to tow the backhoe also... so I rented one when we got to the graveyard.

BTW: Vintage RV park going into the TX town I frequent I see they have (3) and many more coming as rentals. (All set with skirting / awnings / umbrellas,
Bright colored metal lawn chairs (like Grandma had) Picket fences, community picnic shelters, river frontage,,, ) Also Vintage RV rentals are really popular on the left coast.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:06 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
I'm 70, did the Boy Scout and camping thing 55+ years ago. Bah humbug on tents and lugging a kitchen into the damned woods to share with ants, flies, bees and critters. Sleeping on hard ground in a sleeping bag is not the kind of pioneer I wanna be.

These days my idea of 'roughing it' is to have the misfortune of staying at a hotel that doesn't have room service and a bar.

To each their own. It's all good. YMMV.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado