Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 09:55 AM

77 posts, read 87,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperviktor View Post

I expect the same costs and difficulties but .....
And this is your big mistake. I have built in rural Colorado and it is notoriously difficult to find competent labor. Also the remote location of your site is going to make everything more costly. But if you really want to build there, of course it’s possible. You just have to alter your expectations. You will have to import your crew for this type of structure. I’m in Chaffee county, to the north of the SLV, so I’m not familiar with any of the contractors down there. You should talk to some commercial contractors since that style of construction has more in common with commercial building than residential. Diesslin contractors in Salida does that type of construction but idk if they would be interested in bidding your project. Here is their website:

https://www.diesslinstructures.com/

For solar loads, there is a guy who specializes in solar on Craigslist in Salida. His name is Marian and he’s very helpful in assisting with solar projects. He usually travels in the winter for a couple of months so I don’t know if he’s in town now but here’s one of his ads in the High Rockies section of Craigslist:

https://rockies.craigslist.org/mat/d...820427466.html

Most counties in Colorado will not issue a building permit until you have a well permit or the tap fee paid to the local water department. We are the Saudi Arabia of solar up here. Not just in terms of sunny days but in terms of the intensity of the high altitude sun. A well insulated monolithic structure is well suited to capture the solar gain during the day and coasting during the night when temperatures plunge. So your idea is a good one, you just need to be aware of how costly and difficult it can be to build in remote areas. When I was younger, I helped build a school house in the Apolobamba range in rural Bolivia and I found that easier than building in rural Colorado. At least in Bolivia you can always find help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 10:13 AM

152 posts, read 143,424 times
Hey AsFar, we're just collecting info fore at least a few weeks but this construction company looks pretty good although they might be a bit too far.
I will probably break down the whole process to very small steps and that will make it easier to find the right people.

I've spoken to a company in Alamosa and they're happy to deliver concrete to the land which was my biggest concern. If a cement truck makes it there than anything will.

Also already got a list from Costilla planning people regarding what permits I need in what order, so that's on the right track too.

I think the most difficult will be to find the right quality window panels as they're tend to be quite difficult to source as usually used only on skyscrapers / larger construction project.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:30 AM

77 posts, read 87,700 times
Talk to these guys in Salida. If they can’t get your glass, they may be able to recommend a company that can:

https://salidaglass.com/

This has been mentioned already but you really should visit your land before you spend too much money. Just to be sure it’s really what you want. The night sky in the valley is amazing, especially on a cold clear night and there is good hiking in the mountains. Good luck and keep us updated.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:25 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,970,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperviktor View Post
Hey AsFar, we're just collecting info fore at least a few weeks but this construction company looks pretty good although they might be a bit too far.
I will probably break down the whole process to very small steps and that will make it easier to find the right people.

I've spoken to a company in Alamosa and they're happy to deliver concrete to the land which was my biggest concern. If a cement truck makes it there than anything will.

Also already got a list from Costilla planning people regarding what permits I need in what order, so that's on the right track too.

I think the most difficult will be to find the right quality window panels as they're tend to be quite difficult to source as usually used only on skyscrapers / larger construction project.
Most solar rooms are done with sliding patio door glass. The panes and glass are quite thick.

I used "green house glass" as I recall. Three layers of plastic that came in 24' sections. I am very tall and wanted a tall passive solar room.

Pros and cons to most everything construction related.

I'd take some pics of your lot for you but I am "battling a Ft Myers county" that really seems to want to bulldoze a hurricane damaged house rather than work with me.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:13 PM

A modern challenge to passive solar sunrooms that almost all glass is Low-E. Not what you want for passive solar.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
There are limited routes up that 14'er. Like one unless you are part mountain goat. Let me know if you "machete whack" your way up another way. I've made several attempts at alternate routes.

The 4WD and hiking trail up is certainly good exercise and generally a pleasant hike for the healthy. It is unusually rocky though - best if one has strong ankles. Four wheelers die on rare occasion - it is a difficult trail. My Jeep could do it but I wait for an experienced partner in case I find myself upside down in a ravine.

You can always hike on 17, 18, 19 and 20. You will also find more hiking trails, in that area, over time.

Blanca has "good granite" for the climber. I've been choppered off of another 14'er after encountering "bad granite". That was a pretty rough time.
What I am trying to convey is that, I think, everybody takes one of two different trails to Como Lake. Then competent climbers would likely have many choices for the final ascent.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:04 AM

152 posts, read 143,424 times
I'm generally thinking concrete walls with insulation outside, at least 12" thick on the whole house and underfloor / wall heating throughout so with small energy great comfort would be achieved. But need very well insulated glass panels for large surfaces as I like floor to ceiling windows, that's what we have in our current place, although it is made up of two sections in metal frame, so one is about 5.2ft the other is 2.6ft tall. If I can do single panels that are 8.8ft tall that would be great - not sure if I can get toughened glass at that size - the one that you can beat for a while with a sledgehammer and it won't give in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado