Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 01:45 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,435,815 times

Advertisements

Hello!
We decided to create a thread for CO "off topic" conversations, so, if you want to discuss something that is not a Colorado issue, please use this thread.
Thank you

forum rules, please read them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 02:52 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,791,609 times
With our limited attention span, it might be easier to start an 'on topic' thread :P

Old 04-17-2008, 03:03 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,081,717 times
Okay,...I'll bite!!

I remember when I25 and I70 (where they meet) was called the "mousetrap".
I have no clue if it is still called that or...why it was called that.

As far as weird sayings that make no sense....here, in Colorado, when you say "Hi" to someone, you say Hi.

In the south, as I found out, they say,.. "Hey".

Being a school bus driver in Cherry Creek in the 90's...I used to look in my mirror to see what was happening in the back of the bus with the students,.....Sometimes.....there were shannanigans...I would say, "Hey!". everyone would stop and look up at me with an "oops" like look!

I, having just moved back from Florida and, having family in the south...keep saying, "Hey" instead of Hi. Everybody thinks they are doing something wrong or, I get.." Um, okay?!!? I'm constantly explaining myself!!

As far as a "Valley"...well I think,..if one is standing in a certain place and, they can see far away with something a LOT taller in the distance (a mountain perhaps) then....by golly..you are in a Valley!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know that Denver is a mile high but,..some of those mountains you see in the background are 2 miles high!!!!!! Therefore....well you get the picture!HA!

IMO of course....Oh yeah, we do have rivers and streams that are a few feet lower than the road!LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Does that make sense??

Old 04-17-2008, 04:10 PM

353 posts, read 1,706,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanL View Post
Okay,...I'll bite!!

I remember when I25 and I70 (where they meet) was called the "mousetrap".
I have no clue if it is still called that or...why it was called that.
That name comes up from time to time on the radio. I guess a news reporter in the 60's (I think) called it the mousetrap because it reminded him of mice in a trap. When the sinkhole showed up I heard people referring to the interchange as the mousetrap, but not since.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:19 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,758,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikieo415 View Post
That name comes up from time to time on the radio. I guess a news reporter in the 60's (I think) called it the mousetrap because it reminded him of mice in a trap. When the sinkhole showed up I heard people referring to the interchange as the mousetrap, but not since.
i love the funny names they come up with for interchanges..

in Orange, CA(in Orange County), you have the Orange Crush where the 5/57/22 meet.. clever play on words

Old 04-17-2008, 06:43 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,081,717 times
OMG!!!! Orange Crush??!!!!!!!

That IS the Broncos name!!!!!!!!

Does anyone remember that??

Old 04-17-2008, 07:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
OMG!!!! Orange Crush??!!!!!!!

That IS the Broncos name!!!!!!!!

Does anyone remember that??
Yes, I do. And I sort of remember cans of Orange Crush soda with pictures of various member of the Denver Broncos on them.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:32 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,466,506 times
Quote:
Okay,...I'll bite!!

Being a school bus driver in Cherry Creek in the 90's...I used to look in my mirror to see what was happening in the back of the bus with the students,.....Sometimes.....there were shannanigans...I would say, "Hey!". everyone would stop and look up at me with an "oops" like look!
A rural Colorado policeman friend of mine frequently used the more direct, "Hey, g****m it!" variation to quiet things down when they got a little rowdy in a local bar. Worked quite effectively.

Oh, and if you ever got hung up in the old I-25/I-70 "mousetrap," you wouldn't be asking how it got its name . . .

Old 04-17-2008, 09:11 PM

303 posts, read 1,560,352 times
This is semi-on-topic, does anyone know what the effective difference is between portable swamp coolers and wicking humidifiers? I'm wanting to maximize humidification (I don't care about temperature, just moisture) and my fleet of standard humidifiers isn't cutting it.

As far as I can tell, they basically work the same way (I'm not including the nebulizer type humidifiers, just the wick type ones). Is it just a scale factor, with the swamp coolers being bigger?

Old 04-17-2008, 09:13 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,791,609 times
As a friendly reminder, please get back off topic before the mods have to move this thread to another more appropriate forum......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado