Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 03:26 PM

2,887 posts, read 7,139,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
Hey, Wantomoveeast, wouldn't discussing legal vs. illegal immigration be worthy of it's own thread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
Sockeye: Go ahead and start a post on that topic. I don't enjoy going there just because it's an endless debate and personally I feel like the subject attracts racism. But that's just my opinion. Thanks to Suzco who pointed out the Immigration forum, I had no idea that one existed. Such a huge site!
Thanks, wanttomoveeast. I'll repeat here too, Sockeye, as I said a few posts up, that that conversation isn't appropriate here on the Colorado forum, but there's plenty of opportunity for lively discussion over at the Immigration and Politics & Other Controversies forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 05:20 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,990,062 times
Wink Something less than PC

My impression that I'm probably not a big fan of Rep. Douglas Bruce. However in the interest of being contrarian would also question the wisdom of the Colorado legislature sanctioning him for speaking the truth.

I believe the phrase that got him in so much hot water, this time, was "illiterate peasants." If not particularly diplomatic that happens to be the truth. The average age of education in Mexico City and northern Mexico is grade 9, in southern Mexico where most immigrants from Mexico come from the average is grade 6. Compared to the levels in modern western economies, that is essentially illiterate. The economy in southern Mexico is largely rural and based on small plots of farm land. People in such circumstances are peasants. Mexico also serves as a conduit for immigration from Central America where levels of education can be even lower.

Since this isn't for the forum for it I'll only mention in passing this statement of Rep. Douglas Bruce does touch on the important issues of demographics and population, both of which are vital to the well being of this country.

It could be the Colorado legislature would be well advised to spend less time censuring less than PC sentiments and more seriously considering in which ways this state, nation and world best served.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:40 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,724,803 times
Idunn: Bruce was making the comment with regard to a temporary seasonal worker program. It wasn't the phrase "illiterate peasants" that made people angry. It was his entire sentence. "We don't need 5,000 more illiterate peasants in the state of Colorado". This is obnoxious, hateful and not really a statement that would help our state, nation and the world to be a better place.

It should also be noted that Bruce was not censured because of less than PC statements, but because he kicked a photographer on the House floor.

He also has not one, but at least two sexual misconduct allegations.

His behavior is ridiculous and certainly does not live up to the standards that are expected of state representatives.

Sources: Staffer accuses Bruce of sex harassment - The Denver Post

Old 05-08-2008, 07:52 AM

25 posts, read 139,617 times
Rep. Bruce also has had some legal issues with the City and County of Denver over the dilapidated conditions of some rental properties he owns there. He's been cited a number of times and qualifies as a "slum lord."

There's an unfortunate reality to Rep. Bruce, as well as to a couple of our Congressional Representatives (Marilyn Musgrave and Tom Tancredo): they do have their constituencies. Remember that Colorado voters also approved a state constitutional amendment, a few years back, that was explicitly anti-gay. While many across the country tend to see Colorado as a progressive and egalitarian state, the fact is that there's a big streak of intolerance prevalent here. Bruce's TABOR tax amendment to the state constitution has crippled maintenance of public infrastructure, schools and universities, and the overall ability of government to provide services that the public demands. It's not a simple problem either, as there are other constitutional amendments that play into the issue; but TABOR is at the heart of it. When there have been attempts to modify or overturn TABOR, the voters of Colorado have refused to do it (on a statewide basis --- some local communities have been successful at "opting out" or modifying it). The anti-tax/anti-government faction IS strong out here.

To get back on track with this subject, however, Douglas Bruce truly IS an embarrassment to the state and is, essentially, a personality type that's all too prevalent here: the bully. I doubt that anything other than the existing reprimand will come of his behavior, unless the harrassment thing proves to be significant. And, THAT'S a sticky subject, loaded with potential credibility issues, all in itself. In my mind, there's no argument that Colorado would be better off without him, but my guess is that it will have to be the voters who will make that decision. The Colorado Legislature can be all too spineless when it has to confront a serious issue, but that's another topic for another day.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:06 AM

Default I Agree!

Good post inuitboater: I had completely forgotten about the anti-gay legislation a few yrs. ago. I remember how horrible it was, how disappointed I was in the state voters. There is a definite mental here that I completely abhor. And to Bruce's slum lord rep., I guess that's no surprise to me either. It does surprise me when people outside of this state view Colo. as a progressive and liberal state. While I think of Boulder as liberal, I don't really think of Denver that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuitboater View Post
Rep. Bruce also has had some legal issues with the City and County of Denver over the dilapidated conditions of some rental properties he owns there. He's been cited a number of times and qualifies as a "slum lord."

To get back on track with this subject, however, Douglas Bruce truly IS an embarrassment to the state and is, essentially, a personality type that's all too prevalent here: the bully. I doubt that anything other than the existing reprimand will come of his behavior, unless the harrassment thing proves to be significant. And, THAT'S a sticky subject, loaded with potential credibility issues, all in itself. In my mind, there's no argument that Colorado would be better off without him, but my guess is that it will have to be the voters who will make that decision. The Colorado Legislature can be all too spineless when it has to confront a serious issue, but that's another topic for another day.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:19 AM

719 posts, read 2,619,380 times
The city of Denver is primarily democratic and liberal, as is Boulder and the majority of the mountain resort towns. Outside of these places, Colorado remains conservative/libertarian, particularly in agricultural, rural areas.
And know this-Colorado's economy always was, and will continue to be, driven primarily by agriculture and natural resources.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:22 AM

Thanks for the clarification on the demographics of Colorado's politics. I had already felt that way really, but maybe I wasn't clear enough and maybe you weren't even responding to me!

As to your comment about agriculture, I don't see how that has anything to do with the discussion on Bruce or the anti-gay legislation. Or maybe you were just throwing out that comment. I mean, I don't think anyone disputes that economy depends on agriculture and natural resources (don't forget tourism), it's just not really a factor when considering Bruce as our state rep. EXCEPT for.... he was the one trying to shoot down the farming initiative that would bring more workers here to keep the agriculture going. Maybe that's where you were going.

Thanks!

Quote:
The city of Denver is primarily democratic and liberal, as is Boulder and the majority of the mountain resort towns. Outside of these places, Colorado remains conservative/libertarian, particularly in agricultural, rural areas.
And know this-Colorado's economy always was, and will continue to be, driven primarily by agriculture and natural resources.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:31 AM

719 posts, read 2,619,380 times
Yes, thats where I was going. What Bruce perhaps doesn't realize is we've had seasonal migrant ag. workers in Colorado for decades. If he was referring to the real illegal immigration problem, I would have agreed with him in principle.

Last edited by Sockeye; 05-08-2008 at 10:33 AM..

Old 05-08-2008, 11:13 AM

Nah, he wasn't referring to the illegal immigration (not my opinion anyway), he was just using his power to spout his own racist views. And yeah, ironic how he doesn't get that we've been using seasonal migrant workers forever. Although typical of an ignorant bigot. Thanks for clarifying.

Quote:
Yes, thats where I was going. What Bruce perhaps doesn't realize is we've had seasonal migrant ag. workers in Colorado for decades. If he was referring to the real illegal immigration problem, I would have agreed with him in principle.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:17 PM

303 posts, read 822,378 times
Nybody know where this dude may have some rental? I need to find a place that will rent to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado