Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 10:45 AM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times

Advertisements

...where you are considering buying a home or moving to....

Question really is HOW does one find out who owns any given piece of land that is sitting undeveloped...

Question arose as I was reading another thread....rather than hijack that thread, I started a new one.

Concern that many people have is will the owner of that vacant land build something considered detrimental or unpleasant just down the street from where I'm thinking of buying....the desire is to assure that something smelly or ugly or noisy or trashy won't go in nearby and ruin your property value, the view, or the quality of life, etc.

Hopefully our realtor friends can help us out here.....I"m guessing you have to go to a certain county or city department and look at records or plats or whatever they're called...

Thanks!!
s/Mike from back east....where there AIN'T much vacant land near any city...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2006, 12:12 PM

127 posts, read 434,085 times
Default Who owns any given piece of land

Do not know if this is similar in Colorado, but in Arizona there is a website that the public can use that you can look up parcels by address, owner or a book and map number, and it also allows you to check its current zoning. In arizona the website is www.maricopa.gov. Maricopa is the county covering metropolitan phoenix. I thought maybe Colorado had a similar government website by county - not sure though.

Old 12-28-2006, 02:21 PM

226 posts, read 1,369,369 times
The county assessor site can be a very good resource. In what county is the property located? The Douglas county site has a very nice map feature that allows you to zoom in on a property and pull up details on surrounding properties. If you send me a PM with the property address (and legal if you have it) I will see what I can do.

Old 12-28-2006, 05:01 PM

184 posts, read 440,007 times
Fremont county has a similar site where you can search by property address, owner name, parcel number, etc.:

http://www.qpublic.net/fremont/

Old 12-28-2006, 06:27 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
The county zoning dept. would have that info. Zoning would restrict height, type, size of whatever the area was zoned for. Variances are granted after plans are submitted in certain cases, and approval given by Zoning.

R-1 in CO is usually single family, while R-2 or 3 could have a single family residence or a duplex. PUD is Planned Urban Development (Highlands Ranch is a PUD)

Hope this helps.

Old 12-28-2006, 08:20 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
...where you are considering buying a home or moving to....

Question really is HOW does one find out who owns any given piece of land that is sitting undeveloped...

Question arose as I was reading another thread....rather than hijack that thread, I started a new one.

Concern that many people have is will the owner of that vacant land build something considered detrimental or unpleasant just down the street from where I'm thinking of buying....the desire is to assure that something smelly or ugly or noisy or trashy won't go in nearby and ruin your property value, the view, or the quality of life, etc.

Hopefully our realtor friends can help us out here.....I"m guessing you have to go to a certain county or city department and look at records or plats or whatever they're called...

Thanks!!
s/Mike from back east....where there AIN'T much vacant land near any city...
Mike,

You can check online with the county tax office. You should be able to get the land owners name and mailing address all online.

Are you looking for vacant land in Colorado? I have some. The owners that own the lot next to ours are in Texas also. My grandparents and another distant relative bought adjoining lots YEARS ago just west of Colorado Springs at the same time. Both original owners have since passed and the property handed down. I have the name for the one next to ours and thought about contacting them to buy it. Seems that when my parents checked on the property on their last visit the original lot sizes are too small to build on now. The land is near Fairplay in Park County. It was pretty easy for me to look up just knowing the last name and then to find the owner next door by just the lot info.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:26 PM

648 posts, read 2,939,839 times
Mike-

Here is the link to figure out who owns what property.

http://land.elpasoco.com/

Just put in the person's last name or the address and it tell you it all. You can also pull up the map on the left hand side and it shows you who owns the surrounding areas. bashep

Old 12-29-2006, 03:01 PM

5 posts, read 24,185 times
If you are looking for Mesa County (western slope) here is the link.

http://assessor.mesacounty.us/parsearch.aspx

You can simply type in the name of the street and narrow it down from there.

Old 12-29-2006, 04:06 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,913,962 times
Hehe, funny you should ask. Being a former windwo sales and credit and collections in the building business, you can easily find out by the address online now: http://land.elpasoco.com/ If that doesn't work, you can go to the EPC (assuming you are talking about here in El Paso County) assessor's office which, I think is across the street from the court house.

They can also tell you what the land is zoned for.

Some of the neighbors where the King Soopers was built on Rangwood and Woodmen had a serious **itfit when they built it (built by my brother's company). The problem is, they never looked up what the zoning for that land was. Some lady would call my brother's company on a regular basis to complain. Heck lady, it's not the builder's fault...the builder simply builds. It's the land developer's fault for buying land that you didn't look up for yourself what it was zoned for.

Old 12-31-2006, 09:09 AM

117 posts, read 622,749 times
The land.elpasoco.com site is the one I have been using and has helped a lot. You enter in the address, click the parcel map, and then you can click the surrounding lots around it to get more information. Plus you can get the zoning codes, check out the county zoning plans report and more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado