Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 07:04 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,988,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
4wd / awd is common. Good to have 4wd reservation. Double check and insist on it. Going over passes 4wd / awd or chains can sometimes be required. Hwy 285 is more direct route to Nathrop but does involve several "low" 10,000 foot passes. If weather is bad you might want to sneak from the south (going to Pueblo / then Hwy 50 west. No passes but still uphill, winding).
What about I-25 then head west on 24 ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 09:38 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
3 9,000 to 9500 foot passes on that section of 24. It might be better. See what others say. Ask the property staff which route they recommend. I am not super familiar with that area and don't tend to travel in late fall til late spring. Just stating basics from map.

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-12-2020 at 09:52 PM..

Old 10-14-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
3 9,000 to 9500 foot passes on that section of 24. It might be better. See what others say. Ask the property staff which route they recommend. I am not super familiar with that area and don't tend to travel in late fall til late spring. Just stating basics from map.
Ill ask the property manager! Thanks ...gonna run with 285 at the moment but I will have alternate routes in case

Old 10-15-2020, 09:58 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,252,297 times
From where we live now (near Elevenmile res), we can take the 285 route or the I25/ Hwy 24 route to Denver. If its at night, I prefer the I25/ Hwy 24 route as I think its a little safer. Its mostly about two lane curvy roads and when they get somewhat crowded, some percent of people have to do lots of speeding/ passing or you get a slow vehicle and everyone has to pass. If the roads are a little bad, I also would take the I25 Hwy 24 route. I think the main pass on Hwy 24 is Ute Pass and its usually not too bad. Both routes are scenic, you have to respect the weather and animal crossings either way. You will have some curvy two lane travel no matter what after where Hwy 24 and 285 meet south of Fairplay.

Your trip sounds fun (and likely an easy pleasant drive either way).. Salida and Buena Vista are cool places.. We were hoping to spend more time at both places this summer which didnt happen (lots of stuff canceled), hopefully that happens next year.

Old 11-10-2020, 06:55 PM

Hows the weather looking over there? We are still on !! Any places we can go for Thanksgiving Dinner

Old 11-12-2020, 12:23 AM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Looking about as good as you could reasonably hope for.
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/bu...weather/332218 But could change several times in next 2 week's.

Restaurants? Look around, call around. Buena Vista https://www.yelp.com/search?find_des...na+Vista%2C+CO or Salida.

Old 11-15-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcolorado View Post
From where we live now (near Elevenmile res), we can take the 285 route or the I25/ Hwy 24 route to Denver. If its at night, I prefer the I25/ Hwy 24 route as I think its a little safer. Its mostly about two lane curvy roads and when they get somewhat crowded, some percent of people have to do lots of speeding/ passing or you get a slow vehicle and everyone has to pass. If the roads are a little bad, I also would take the I25 Hwy 24 route. I think the main pass on Hwy 24 is Ute Pass and its usually not too bad. Both routes are scenic, you have to respect the weather and animal crossings either way. You will have some curvy two lane travel no matter what after where Hwy 24 and 285 meet south of Fairplay.

Your trip sounds fun (and likely an easy pleasant drive either way).. Salida and Buena Vista are cool places.. We were hoping to spend more time at both places this summer which didnt happen (lots of stuff canceled), hopefully that happens next year.
Thank you! Honestly, we are just trying to get away and relax in the wilderness. Hows the cell phone reception over there ?

Weather looks like it will be cooperating.

Old 11-15-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Looking about as good as you could reasonably hope for.
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/bu...weather/332218 But could change several times in next 2 week's.

Restaurants? Look around, call around. Buena Vista https://www.yelp.com/search?find_des...na+Vista%2C+CO or Salida.
Looking like the weather will be on point. Theres a resort restaurant by our house we rented. Was wondering if it was worth it . Seems like the only place to eat in Nathrop

Old 11-15-2020, 04:47 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Looking like the weather will be on point. Theres a resort restaurant by our house we rented. Was wondering if it was worth it . Seems like the only place to eat in Nathrop
I told you there was nothing in Nathrop!

I assume the resort you mean is Mt. Princeton Hot Springs. They do have a restaurant called Mary Murphy Steak House. Never eaten there, but you could check Trip Advisor reviews. Otherwise you must drive to either Buena Vista or Salida, as I mentioned before. Plenty of choices in both places, but I'm not sure how they are handling the indoor seating with COVID.

Ten day forecast shows decent weather. Check back closer to your trip, as the ten-day forecast is subject to change.

Old 11-15-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
I told you there was nothing in Nathrop!

I assume the resort you mean is Mt. Princeton Hot Springs. They do have a restaurant called Mary Murphy Steak House. Never eaten there, but you could check Trip Advisor reviews. Otherwise you must drive to either Buena Vista or Salida, as I mentioned before. Plenty of choices in both places, but I'm not sure how they are handling the indoor seating with COVID.

Ten day forecast shows decent weather. Check back closer to your trip, as the ten-day forecast is subject to change.
Yeah thats the one! well, we rented a house that has a private pool running off the Hot Springs.. that was mainly why we picked Nathrop!

Yeah its no big deal. Just seemed like a more convenient option in case it snowed or etc.... Do you recommend a good grocery store over there? Everything going to be in the Buena Vista?

Is it worth getting a fishing license? I see a spot down the road from where we are at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado