Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2021, 05:02 PM

305 posts, read 213,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
If you aren't uncomfortable disclosing the area where you would be moving from that may help us give you more concise information on how the GJ would compare.

Personally I really like it there, we live near Vail currently and GJ if a favorite day trip. Palisade is green and bountiful, Grand Mesa is covered in snow in the winter, Colorado National Monument is breathtaking, even if you aren't a hiker or outdoorsy there is a lot of natural beauty in the area that is pretty impressive to be around.
I live in Chicago. Contrary to popular perception, the safe areas (i.e. most of the north side) are magnificent and the city is an incredibly livable and beautiful place. I mean that.

The issue, for me, is that I'm worn down by aggressive leftist and identity politics. (There's a shop a few blocks from my place that proudly displays a sign that reads "All cops are bastards.") I live smack dab in a white enclave of far-left liberals who broadcast their rage against white supremacy, and it's so cringe to me. One guy had a shirt that read: "I'm introverted but I will still kick a racist's ass.")

These people manufacture problems to give their lives meaning. It's embarrasing. The single biggest issue in Chicago is endless black on black murder, but it's never discussed.

So I've begun to feel alienated here despite the city's beautiful lake front and streets. A place's people and their spirit matter matter more than anything. I don't want to push any buttons here, but there's a sense of anti-white, anti-hetero, anti-Americanism etc that leaves me cold. For instance, our mayor wouldn't interview white journalists on her 2 year anniversary. Then there was the Jussie Smollet hoax. These are the symptoms of a sick society.

The west has always spoken to me, and especially the more traditional areas. The west slope of CO seems like a potential landing place for me despite its lack of big city amenities. That's OK. I just want to find a decent available woman who is somewhat well-read and doesn't think humor is off limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2021, 06:21 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boddicker View Post
I live in Chicago. Contrary to popular perception, the safe areas (i.e. most of the north side) are magnificent and the city is an incredibly livable and beautiful place.
Been there a couple of times, it's a fave destination for my TO-resident-student daughter, liked it a lot, never want to be in a car near any axis or level of Wacker Drive again.

Old 10-01-2021, 07:58 AM

2,485 posts, read 2,702,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Would it be a buzzkill to note that CO's economic boom almost completely bypassed GJ, and it remained saddled with employment and revenue issues while FR towns couldn't find enough people or buckets to catch it all?

I think that says something about the city and region worth considering for any long-term commitment. Not everyone has to live at an economic peak (which moves with time anyway), but that GJ largely missed this (speed)boat could be a matter for concern to some.
I don’t think what you say is true. The city has a large surplus of tax dollars that they are using to redevelop at least two large sections of the riverfront. One section is complete already with new buildings from newly recruited business - some from out of state along with ponds and a lazy river flow off the Colorado where you can rent watercraft.

They are also remodeling our stadium where the Rockies farm team plays. A committee was also recently appointed to decide what to do with the balance of the surplus funds. Pot shops have now also received approval in the city and that should add to the revenue inflow.

Construction is overflowing here and almost every house on the market sells quickly or has multiple bidders. Year over year appreciation in some areas of town is 20%+.

Healthcare and education are the major employers. St Mary’s the largest hospital has recently expanded. The university recently built the Maverick, a teaching hotel with a great restaurant called the Devils Kitchen named after a trail in the Colorado Monument. The hotel would be right at home in RINO.
Job openings are everywhere.

Our airport was recently honored as Colorado’s airport of the year and is adding another runway. Near by Montrose airport is also expanding.

New stores just opened here in Dillards, Dicks and Homegoods. Big boxes don’t move to depressed areas. New brewpubs are in the works and our downtown Main St is 100% local. Union Station redevelopment is also in the works. Rumor has it a Trader Joe’s is coming to town too.

Keep in mind you are comparing a metro area of almost 3 million to a metro area of 150,000. Expansion is going to seem different. It’s in some ways better and more controlled.

So I am not sure where you are getting your information or if you have even been here recently, but it’s not been passed by, actually it’s booming.

Recent article on our economy.

https://www.gjsentinel.com/news/west...1a18a5873.html

Last edited by COcheesehead; 10-01-2021 at 08:15 AM..

Old 10-01-2021, 09:53 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
I live in Chicago. Contrary to popular perception, the safe areas (i.e. most of the north side) are magnificent and the city is an incredibly livable and beautiful place. I mean that.

The issue, for me, is that I'm worn down by aggressive leftist and identity politics. (There's a shop a few blocks from my place that proudly displays a sign that reads "All cops are bastards.") I live smack dab in a white enclave of far-left liberals who broadcast their rage against white supremacy, and it's so cringe to me. One guy had a shirt that read: "I'm introverted but I will still kick a racist's ass.")

These people manufacture problems to give their lives meaning. It's embarrasing.

.........cut......
We have the exact same kind of idiocy here in another part of the west slope, in the Four Corners area. The orientation is 180 degrees the opposite, but the mechanism is the same: raising a ruckus for no benefit to anybody.

The old saw, GET A LIFE, applies either way.

Old 10-01-2021, 10:26 AM

317 posts, read 475,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
The orientation is 180 degrees the opposite, but the mechanism is the same: raising a ruckus for no benefit to anybody.

The old saw, GET A LIFE, applies either way.
It seems at some point in the past 10 years America's national pass-time became a blend of recreational outrage, conspiratorial thinking, and self-righteousness.

Old 10-01-2021, 06:33 PM

406 posts, read 450,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post
It seems at some point in the past 10 years America's national pass-time became a blend of recreational outrage, conspiratorial thinking, and self-righteousness.
That's ALWAYS been America's pass-time. We do not have a good history of calm, rational thinking and open mindedness. (Though we think we do. Because we don't know our history and scream bloody murder when someone tries to teach it to us.) I would say, America's real national pass-time is self-delusion.

Old 10-01-2021, 06:41 PM

406 posts, read 450,059 times
Quote:
The west has always spoken to me, and especially the more traditional areas. The west slope of CO seems like a potential landing place for me despite its lack of big city amenities. That's OK. I just want to find a decent available woman who is somewhat well-read and doesn't think humor is off limits.
Without asking how you define "decency" in the available woman -- or what, exactly, you call "humor" -- I would say go ahead and give GJ a try. It will certainly be a wonderful adventure. Just don't be too shocked if you find this city both too isolated and too provincial, or if you discover that in Grand Junction being "well-read" is not on top of the list of important attributes - in anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado