Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2021, 08:59 AM

4 posts, read 4,341 times

Advertisements

My husband, our one year old (and our dog!) are searching for a town\city that just may not exist. I thought I'd come here to see if anyone has been to a place like this!!

We want to be close to the mountains ( or in the mountains) but definitely want to see them, and be within a 30 minute drive to get there. JOBS my husband works in landscape\construction\CDL type jobs (experience with all of the above) and yes I know theres jobs like that everywhere, but, they need to pay a livable wage that match the cost of living for wherever we end up. Another thing that is super important to us is biking, we want bike trails, I am not comfortable biking on the road with our toddler. Affordable homes- we need a home under 350k. Safety\low crime & decent schools are also important to us. We are not from the west or the midwest (east coasters) so something else I worry about is wildfires & water shortages.... theses are things we are also wanting to consider and keep in mind. We are not only limited to Colorado, although it holds a special place in our heart. Please share if you know any town or city that rings a bell. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2021, 09:09 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
There may be such places in COLO but for the most part the list of things you seek and the budget you bring to the hunt will preclude much of the state.

Look around COLO SPGS, Pueblo, Cañon City on the east side of the mountains and Grand Junction or Montrose on the west side of the mountains. In these areas you might find a lot of what you want at prices that might be in your range but it will be tight.

Don't rule out Cheyenne, WY. It's on I-80 (CDL work) and close to mountains.

Google your brains out, there are websites for hiking and biking trails in all these western states. We have threads on that stuff too, just use our search tool with key words like hiking or biking, etc.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-17-2021, 09:54 AM

317 posts, read 474,951 times
If you're worried about wildfires and water shortages, the Appalachian mountains might be a better fit than anywhere in the Mountain West. The long term outlook on both fronts just isn't great.

I agree with Mike's suggestions for places to look in CO, but I am doubtful that any place in CO will check all of the requirements you're hoping to find. If you're able to take a trip to visit and explore, that would help a lot.

Consider Idaho, as well.

Old 12-17-2021, 09:57 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Wildfires and drought are a longterm part of western states’ life, and they are getting worse. Not going away.

The budget doesn’t match your list of other attributes. You’d have to give up not one but several criteria to find a place that fits. Also, are you going to have a job also, or just your husband?

Old 12-17-2021, 10:04 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post
If you're worried about wildfires and water shortages, the Appalachian mountains might be a better fit than anywhere in the Mountain West. The long term outlook on both fronts just isn't great.

I agree with Mike's suggestions for places to look in CO, but I am doubtful that any place in CO will check all of the requirements you're hoping to find. If you're able to take a trip to visit and explore, that would help a lot.

Consider Idaho, as well.
Thank you.

The bolded part is a good suggestion. I've often referred people to the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, not only for its scenery but it's also a lush, green paradise for gardeners. I've been there many times in the Spring and it's as emerald green as anywhere in Ireland. Look in the I-81 corridor from Strasburg on down to Lexington, with Harrisonburg as your ground-zero location.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-17-2021, 10:11 AM

374 posts, read 257,266 times
For your budget you probably won't find much suitable in the Front Range outside of maybe Cheyenne, WY. The Colorado Rockies are becoming a hotspot for annual fires and the smoke from fires further west is rendering the air quality in Denver almost unbreatheable at times.

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/08/0...ution-ranking/

The cost of living in any decently sized town or city within 50 miles of the foothills has risen astronomically over the last decade. Food, housing, healthcare, education, everything has gone up. Traffic anywhere near Denver or along I-25 is atrocious. Most other Mountain West states are not fairing much better, particularly with the COL and water shortage issues, other than maybe Wyoming or Montana.

A lot of people overlook the Appalachian Mountains but as someone who grew up just north of Denver in Longmont (lived there for 24 years) I often find the Appalachian ranges to be just as breathtaking, if not more so, than many of the places around the Rockies that I grew up exploring. Cost of living out that way is often considerably cheaper than anywhere out west as well so you'd have many more options.

I should also mention that my current residence of Oklahoma is home to four mountain ranges as well (the Ozarks, Ouachitas, Arbuckles, and the Wichitas). Perhaps not as visually impressive as the Rockies or Appalachians, they do still offer plenty of hiking and biking. CDL, construction, and landscaping work is pretty big around here and there are not many places with a better COL for housing. I have a friend in Tulsa who frequently goes on 20+ mile bike rides around the Tulsa metro; the Riverside Drive along the Arkansas River has quite a lengthy set of biking trails and Tulsa itself is set near the foothills of the Ozark Plateau. The downside is that public schools across most of the state are suffering.

Old 12-17-2021, 10:34 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith32 View Post
I should also mention that my current residence of Oklahoma is home to four mountain ranges as well (the Ozarks, Ouachitas, Arbuckles, and the Wichitas).
ROFLMAO. Watch out for altitude sickness. It'll sneak up on you quickly at 2,000'. I-35 over Honey Creek Pass (elev. 1200') is a white knuckler that makes the Million Dollar Highway look tame. It's amazing what passed for mountains before explorers ventured west of what is nowadays the I-35 corridor. Beware of Taum Sauk Mountain. At 1772', it's the Everest of Missouri.

Old 12-17-2021, 10:45 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
OP - I would consider Montrose, Cheyenne, or Laramie. If you wanna be close to the San Juans while saving a buck, try Delta. It's not high on my list because it's kind of a depressing little town.

I'm not a huge fan of Grand Junction, either. Grew up on the Western Slope, and it was "the big city" for us country kids. It's even further from the San Juans and the red rock/desert feel dominates the area. If that's your thing, Moab is a much better choice (although significantly more expensive).

Old 12-17-2021, 11:37 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
Cedaredge

Old 12-17-2021, 11:51 AM

6,751 posts, read 5,054,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
OP - I would consider Montrose,
Montrose is a good suggestion. Not really "in the mountains", but it's a short drive to some really nice areas. Cost of housing is moderate for Colorado, and it's got grocery stores, a Home Depot, Target, etc.

I've no idea what the job market is like, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado