Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 08:35 PM

16 posts, read 36,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
is some nice mountain country around Parachute, its particular location, in my opinion, is one of the least scenic in western Colorado. I wouldn't live there, and I'm an old Colorado native.
actually as an old geologist who worked around there in the 1970's (conventional gas not shale oil) I don't find it either the prettiest or the worst place in Colorado. Ever been to Walsh, Rangley, or Mack?...now that's desolate. It is a more desert clime than Alpine but you are not far from a good 4 lane, the mountains, best trout fishin' on Grand Mesa...I could live there. Memphis??? I guess my opinion is marred by a local rodeo barrel racer whose truck was shot and hit in Memphis as she was passing thru town. I saw nothing in Memphis I like. And it is waiting for the big New Madrid Earthquake to shake things up a whole lot bigger disaster than the average California quake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 06:24 AM

2 posts, read 5,599 times
Default living in Parachute

Parachute isn't so bad. It definitely has that small town atmosphere. I myself have been living here for several months now, and because of its proximity to Rifle and Grand Junction, you don't really lack anything you aren't used to having. Of course, depending on what you enjoy doing in your spare time you may hate it, but if you are an outdoors-type person, you will LOVE it here, as I do.

What grade are you going to teach? That will make a difference. I have heard that there is a drug problem here, though I do not know anything about it firsthand. So if you were teaching high school, you might have to watch out for these things.

As far as the energy industry goes, that will help the town develop and it certainly is growing and improving (thankfully). Right now there is a lot of drilling, and that will probably continue for quite some time. Because of the drilling, there are a lot of temp workers, as someone else stated, imported from elsewhere. The boom will not end up like last time, though, with it becoming a ghost town, because drilling is not the only activity going on. Lots of gas plants are popping up too, and companies aren't going to be buying land and building plants worth millions of dollars just to abandon later. These are the "Midstream" folks, and they will stay, so even if the population eventually lightens after years of drilling, it will not go back to being so tiny. You should definitely visit the town before deciding whether or not to move.

I wish you well!

Old 10-14-2008, 11:04 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,748,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esya View Post
Colorado has no refinery within its borders, it all goes out and is returned.
You may want to check commerce city as Colorado has a refinery right in the Denver metro are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado