Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2009, 10:25 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,449,802 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if Colorado is a good place for me to move from Jersey.

I'm basically looking for

1. an inexpensive place to live (most important)

2. place where there's a lot of tranquility

Would Colorado be a place for me to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 11:07 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,796,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
I was wondering if Colorado is a good place for me to move from Jersey.

I'm basically looking for

1. an inexpensive place to live (most important)

2. place where there's a lot of tranquility

Would Colorado be a place for me to live?
You'll find Colorado prices lower than NJ, but it isn't less expensive in terms of having extra money left over at the end of the month. Colorado, like other places with nice views and a decent climate, comes with a 'view premium', just like the side of a hotel facing the water. In terms of tranquility, you can find some very tranquil places here, but not within an easy commute to most of the available jobs.

If you're really looking for an affordable place to live, you should look in places that you'd never want to go to on vacation. Places like North Dakota don't have retirees competing for houses and part time jobs, so you wind up with cheaper housing and higher wages. It's pretty tranquil up there too.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:28 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,004,056 times
sterlinggirl wrote:
If you're really looking for an affordable place to live, you should look in places that you'd never want to go to on vacation. Places like North Dakota don't have retirees competing for houses and part time jobs, so you wind up with cheaper housing and higher wages. It's pretty tranquil up there too.
Staying with this theme....I don't know of anyone who has ever spoken of vacationing in Ohio, so you might also look into Ohio as an affordable place to live. Ohio is probably quite tranquil due to the absence of tourists. If you are more of a city person, you might consider having a look at Detroit, a potentially quiet city becasue so many people have left there.

On the other hand, Colorado is a popular tourist destination, so you will have to deal with the tourist factor. Some of the tourists who come here are really loud people, so take that into consideration in your search for tranquility. Many toursits really like Colorado so they decide to move here and contribute to higher real estate prices. You won't have these probelms in North Dakota, Ohio, and Detroit.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 05-11-2009 at 09:37 AM..

Old 05-11-2009, 05:52 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,951,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Staying with this theme....I don't know of anyone who has ever spoken of vacationing in Ohio, so you might also look into Ohio as an affordable place to live. Ohio is probably quite tranquil due to the absence of tourists.
I remember seeing an Ohio tourism commercial from a few years back....

It starred some woman who was driving a car, with Ken Griffey Jr. and a Renaissance Faire actor in the back seat. After some banter between the three of them, the viewer comes to the conclusion that all there is to do in Ohio is Reds games or seeing the joust at the Renaissance Faire.

I kid you not. You-tube it.

Ohio seems like the quintessential affordable place, the home prices there are quite tempting. But, then you'd have to deal with being in Ohio.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:49 PM

3 posts, read 12,124 times
I'm moving from Ohio to Colorado this summer... We're mostly moving because we love the outdoors and mountains and are willing to pay for it. If those are your two criteria, Ohio honestly sounds like a great option. I live it Dayton and it's stunningly, amazingly affordable. We'll pay at least twice as much in Colorado for a similar house. There are lots of tranquil small towns around here, and not too far from jobs. The real estate prices here coming from Jersey will take your breath away. Reasonable houses in pleasant neighborhoods for $150,000. If you want affordable and tranquil, you really should consider the midwest. Very friendly people, very pleasant pace of life.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:10 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,467,333 times
I would say Pueblo look at this:

This is on the PEDCo page:

Welcome to the most pro-business climate you will find anywhere in the country - Pueblo, Colorado. The second least expensive place to live according to the First Quarter 2009 C2ER (ACCRA) report!

For more information look at this page: Pueblo and Southern Colorado - (CO) - City-Data Forum

Old 05-13-2009, 12:14 PM

219 posts, read 506,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaLou View Post
If you want affordable and tranquil, you really should consider the midwest. Very friendly people, very pleasant pace of life.
Agreed. I'm in Kansas City and you just cant beat the housing prices in the midwest. It's peaceful and has a slow pace but damned if I dont miss all the natural beauty that the west has to offer. If you're not an outdoors nut then the midwest will be your best option.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,583 times
Default neighborhoods for the young at heart

I'm looking to move to the Denver area in the fall and I've just started to really explore different neighborhoods. Any advice on good areas for a late 20 and early 30 something? I'd looking for a neighborhood where there is enough going on in the area that we wouldn't have to drive far.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: