Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 11:47 PM

2 posts, read 7,259 times

Advertisements

newlysgl,

I am also from CT and am currently in a similar situation of wanting to ski/board bum for a few years. I am not sure what the next step is to take and was just wondering if you actually went through with it and if you have any advice for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 07:13 AM

1,872 posts, read 6,494,022 times
bringbakthewhale, if you really want to know how to make the whole ski bum thing work, ask real ski bums, those who are actually doing it. Go to TGR.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:38 PM

22 posts, read 208,484 times
Default Best Ski Town to Live In / Work in / Be a Ski Bum in??

I am thinking of moving to Colorado after I graduate college for one winter to live and work in a ski town like Keystone, Steamboat, Breckenridge, Copper Mountain, etc. I grew up in Lake Arrowhead, Ca, so I am definitely used to cold weather and snow in the winter, admittedly not as cold or nearly as much snow as most parts of Colorado, but I do know what its like to live in the mountains, and how to drive in the snow (unlike 99.5% of people from Southern California). I have always been in love with snow and skiing and I can never get enough of it, and that's why I would love to move to a "Perfect mountain town." I would like to live within walking or short driving distance (less than 15 min) to the ski resort and potentially work at the ski resort itself. It would be nice if other ski resorts were within 30 minutes so I could get some more variety every once in a while. I am looking for a small town with friendly people that doesn't get too busy on the holidays (places like Vail and Aspen might be a bit to crowded and expensive for my taste). I want to look out my window every morning and see snow on the ground.

I have never been to Colorado before, so any info would be greatly appreciated. I would like to know how much it costs to rent small apartments or houses in these places and how easy it is to get jobs as well. I would prefer opinions from people who actually have lived in these towns or worked at one of the ski resorts, but any advice is welcome. Who knows, if I like it there, I might just decide to stay.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:52 PM

835 posts, read 2,856,787 times
live in leadville and work in breckenridge you can live cheap in leadville and at the same time be in commuting distance of the resort areas idk though i hear leadville is a little deserted and depressed....

Old 11-24-2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthamove View Post
live in leadville and work in breckenridge you can live cheap in leadville and at the same time be in commuting distance of the resort areas idk though i hear leadville is a little deserted and depressed....
How much cheaper is Leadville than Breckenridge? Also, on google maps, it said that the drive from Leadville is 53 minutes to Breckenridege and 27 minutes to Copper Mountain. I am assuming it takes a lot longer if there is snow on the roads. That is longer than I really want to drive.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:24 PM

I would also be interested to hear from anyone who lives or has lived in Silverthorne, Frisco, and the other surrounding towns as this appears to be a central location in-between Breckenridge, Copper Mountain, Keystone and Aprahoe Basin.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:02 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,850,710 times
Although I've never lived in a ski town, I always felt that Steamboat Springs had more of a "town" feel to it. Although it's gotten more touristy feel lately. I think there is a thread on here from a couple of months back that has a couple that moved to SS in the last year or so.

I think you'll find that "close to ski area" and "inexpensive living" are terms not usually found together, kind of like "V-8 pick-up truck" and "good gas mileage".

golfgod

Old 11-25-2007, 07:53 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
I think you'll find that "close to ski area" and "inexpensive living" are terms not usually found together, kind of like "V-8 pick-up truck" and "good gas mileage".

Agree. It's best to go into this with eyes open.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:26 AM

I live in Silverthorne.

In terms of housing affordability, the cheapest are Silverthorne and Dillon (especially the Dillon Valley East area), followed by Keystone, Breck, and Frisco. You could conceivably live by yourself in Silverthorne, Dillon, or even Keystone. Living in Frisco or Breck will probably require you to have roommates.

Silverthorne is the most "residential" of the towns, with 75% of residents being year-rounders. Many single-family homes. The Wildernest area is popular for seasonal employees, with lots of condos. Dillon contains mainly condos, townhomes, and apartments. Dillon Valley East is the lowest-rent area in the county. LOTS of ski bums there.

Keystone, Breck, and Frisco are all going to be expensive, but not impossible, especially with roommates. Breck is a party town. If you want the party scene, that's where you want to be -- plus it is a nice real mountain town. Frisco is a nice town as well with bars and clubs but not as wild as Breck. Keystone is mostly the ski resort without a real town. The Summit Cove area has some apartments. Copper, like Keystone, is the ski resort mainly -- you'll have to come to Frisco/Silverthorne/Dillon for most town activities and events (e.g. grocery shopping).

If you want to walk to the ski resorts, stay in Keystone, Breck (parts of it), or Copper. The free Summit Stage bus service connects all the towns I mentioned, so you can take that as well (although it can take up to 45 minutes to get from Silverthorne to Breck, with all the stops and transfers). If you drive yourself, the ski areas all about 15-20 minutes of each other.

You can live in Leadville too. It is somewhat far from the ski areas (Cooper is a small area close by, but if you want ski bum for a season, you want to spend your time at the bigger areas) -- Copper will be the closest at about 35 minutes. But most of the Summit County ski areas run shuttle buses for employees living in Leadville.

I have ski bum/instructor buddies who in live in Silverthorne, Dillon, Keystone, Frisco, Breck, Copper, and Leadville -- so really, people live everywhere.

To get an idea of housing costs, check out the local paper, the Summit Daily News.

To get more ideas from locals (especially ski bums), check out the TGR forums. You can get more "local" info there than here.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:13 AM

About jobs, there are jobs that are more or less conducive to skiing as much as possible.

Avoid jobs like being a lifty or a retail salesperson -- you have to work during the day and miss all the skiing.

Working the evening shifts at restaurants or bars is much better since you have your days free to ski.

Work during the day on weekends and holidays -- the slopes will be so crowded, you won't want to ski at those times anyway.

Or you could be like some ski bums who work their butts off during the summer to save up money, and don't work at all during the winter, just ski all the time.

And if you do get a more permanent, regular day/desk job somewhere, try to work flex time, and see if they have a powder clause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado