Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 10:25 PM

16 posts, read 108,143 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Loveland...

Meets all your criteria... clean, conservative, not too much snow, 300 annual days of sunshine, low crime, affordable, access to recreation. I seem to recall it being voted #1 place to retire in the US a while back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 11:19 PM

13 posts, read 48,882 times
Default Broomfield retirement community

We just got back from a week in the Front Range looking at homes for our retirement. You could check out the new Del Webb Anthem development in Broomfield. It seemed nice, lots of activities and recreation opportunities. The views of the mountains were spectacular from some of the homes. We were tempted but didn't commit. Anyone know of this development?

Old 04-17-2007, 08:38 AM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanMar View Post
We just got back from a week in the Front Range looking at homes for our retirement.....
Please, do tell us more about your trip...likes, dislikes, pro's, cons, gut feelings, etc.

Thanks!
s/Mike

Old 04-17-2007, 09:05 PM

13 posts, read 48,882 times
Default Our trip to CO - active retirees!

We took a trip last week to visit our son at CU Boulder, and to check out real estate. We were interested in retiring to the Superior/Louisville areas. Coming from temperate northern CA, we were concerned about the weather in CO, and boy, did we experience a variety! Snow flurries, sleet, rain, wind, fog, and gorgeous sun. We drove our Ford Taurus rental on the snowy streets - slid a little bit. I was bundled up in my hooded parka much of the week, but noticed the locals in sweatshirts and short sleeves. Obviously, you get acclimitized. Okay, Superior is mostly hilly, open, with few trees. We liked the planned trails which wind around the neighborhoods, providing open space behind homes, and a place to walk or bike. Shopping is plentiful and a short drive. We didn't like how close many of the houses are to each other, and we kept hearing about settling issues with some foundations, which we found unsettling (sorry, couldn't resist ). Louisville has a cute downtown, and a variety of neighborhoods, but is quite pricy after rating #1 city in publications. The homes we liked were beyond us - probably more than $500K. Will post more later....

Old 04-17-2007, 10:17 PM

942 posts, read 1,393,058 times
Why do so many posts about colorado, keep specifying conservative, is it that important there, I use to put liberal, then I decided I didn't want to put a label on places or me, maybe the whole country would be better off if they adopted that. It is hard enough to find places that are desirable and affordable, places one does not have to drive miles and miles every time they need to go shopping or a part time job, without all this conservative/liberal red blue, its gotten nauseating.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanMar View Post
... The homes we liked were beyond us - probably more than $500K. Will post more later....
I'm doing a NO CO site search now, and found homes in Estes to be fairly affordable for views, and quality of life, and Berthoud (older section) looks pretty good, large lots. Very quiet town now that the bypass is in.

the newer tracts in Colo seem to be way overbuilt, and having survived a couple Colo real estate downturns, I wouldn't want to be stuck holding one of the new ('cookie cutter' 'california specials') homes in a crisis. It can take many years to sell, and you WILL likely loose money. Try to buy something with unique location or features (View, acreage, nice setting, mature trees, on a park...) I will guess you can find a place within 30 minutes of Louisville for 1/2 the $500k, especially if you do some digging at the lenders who are foreclosing.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:29 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
First, it's becoming more and more evident that many Front Range areas are starting to see the "bubble" deflate. Colorado in general has the highest current foreclosure rates in the country. Some northern Front Range areas are being hit very hard, Weld County especially. Is this the "canary in the coal mine" for a wider real estate downturn in Colorado? My experience says that it is.

Also, you have to be blind not to see the pernicious effects that sprawl is having on the Front Range of Colorado. A common theme echoed by many Coloradans is that Front Range Colorado is about 20 years behind southern California. So, look at California today--many people think that is what the Front Range of Colorado will be in 20 years. It's not a pretty picture. Of course, that vision ignores the fact that within 20 years, Colorado will be out of cheap and plentiful water--and, if fuel costs go where I think they will, most of this country's current fuel-guzzling suburban juggernaut is going to tank. If that happens, the LAST place I would want to own real estate is in some far-flung suburban polyglot totally dependent on the automobile. And that pretty much defines most of Colorado's Front Range.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:19 PM

573 posts, read 1,452,168 times
Default thanks

Thanks for all the info and insight. One person I talked to said NC was a great place---northern that is. Any thoughts---I am pretty much a plains state person at heart but am into checking into what others think. After living in the Seattle area, sun is a big issue and less traffic is such a good thought----quality of life and the community thing is important.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
western NC is nice, but pretty spendy. I can't do the summer heat (humidity) and winter wet cold.

You might need to sample a few spots.

Nebraska has decent community, but is not tax friendly, tho IS senior friendly.

Sheridan, WY ?

Old 04-20-2007, 12:41 AM

476 posts, read 2,319,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnodak View Post
Thanks for all the info and insight. One person I talked to said NC was a great place---northern that is. Any thoughts---I am pretty much a plains state person at heart but am into checking into what others think. After living in the Seattle area, sun is a big issue and less traffic is such a good thought----quality of life and the community thing is important.
North Carolina up in the mountains is pretty but all of NC has bad humidity and homes are getting costly too. Taxes are high, at least to me. If you do go, Asheville is probably the better area to live up in the mountains. I also dont like snakey places and NC is one snakey place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado