Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 12:56 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
I think the trend is going to be for people to take that 1 week vacation closer to home. When a coast-to-coast airline flight's price finally reflects true costs, that $1,000+ per-seat economy fare is likey to deter a lot of folks who are already having their budgets squeezed on multiple fronts.

Sure, there will always be those people that think nothing of spending (and most likely borrowing) $7,500 for a family of four to spend a week in Orlando with Mickey. It's sort of like Vegas for families. It's fun while you're there, but the financial hangover ain't so fun.
With so many people in CO having family elsewhere, going to "grandma's" will always be popular, no matter where grandma lives. Many of my patients are also constantly going to Mexico, Hawaii, etc. If there is a trent to do otherwise, I haven't seen it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 12:16 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,486,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
With so many people in CO having family elsewhere, going to "grandma's" will always be popular, no matter where grandma lives. Many of my patients are also constantly going to Mexico, Hawaii, etc. If there is a trent to do otherwise, I haven't seen it.
It will be "popular" only so long as people can afford it, or the conveyance is available to make it possible. Both of those factors are likely to become quite constrained--and sooner than most anyone thinks. The US is standing at the brink of a transportation meltdown, and I think the enormity of it, though not yet visible to some, will be woefully apparent to everyone within about 12-24 months. And because we have been so myopic about the threat, and are so completely unprepared to meet it, I expect it to last for years, possibly even a decade or more. Grandma will be dead and buried before we get this mess fixed.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:36 PM

Well, I will probably live long enough to see it if it's coming in 12-24 months. Interestingly, some people at work yesterday were talking about cheap airfares to Dallas. So I don't think the sky is about to fall just yet. Gas prices are going down, albeit just a few cents. I should probably go fill up my car.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:51 PM

105 posts, read 478,322 times
We need a magnetic train like japan. Most of the european countries have them now too.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:11 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,222,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
Burning of coal for heating, particularly in the early 20th century, had a lot more to do with soot in Europe's cities than diesel engines.

A small modern diesel, equipped with a catalytic heater, is not the same thing as a poorly-maintained 60s-era bus.
No... I had a discussion with a Sevillano... I got the inside scoop as to why there would no longer be bus service in their city center (near the old chuch etc.).

Of course you're not wrong about the coal for heating.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:16 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,222,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Nope. People will be moving-in with Grandma... unable to live in the burbs because of sky-rocketing travel costs.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:22 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,468,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Nope. People will be moving-in with Grandma... unable to live in the burbs because of sky-rocketing travel costs.
Yeah, sure.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
I agree with EscapeCalifornia. If the search tool on this forum worked better, I could find the post where someone said the total additional cost of gas would not be all that much in his budget. That is how I feel about it, too.

And where do you think Grandma lives? In the burbs, of course! Who's living in the city? The young professionals, some of whom are driving to jobs in the burbs.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:40 PM

58 posts, read 397,484 times
I guess I am one of the few Idiots that just does not get it.

Ah, Road trip 1972 Buick Gran Sport a tank of 104+ octane low lead, a little Bob Seeger on the radio and roll the power on from that giant 455 under the hood and off to Grandma's house we go.

104+ fuel 5.75 @ gal x 18 gal = 103.50

And when I get home I will jump into my '01 Dodge v-10 ram and go to work.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:07 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,486,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastway57 View Post
I guess I am one of the few Idiots that just does not get it.

Ah, Road trip 1972 Buick Gran Sport a tank of 104+ octane low lead, a little Bob Seeger on the radio and roll the power on from that giant 455 under the hood and off to Grandma's house we go.

104+ fuel 5.75 @ gal x 18 gal = 103.50

And when I get home I will jump into my '01 Dodge v-10 ram and go to work.
And--that is why Americans are in debt up to their eyeballs, and fuel prices are going to keep going up.

I can't believe that people can't figure out that what they spend to fill their gas tank is only a small part of what exploding fuel prices and depleting reserves are going to do their living costs and lifestyle. Not surprising, since so many Americans are so isolated in their little world that they have no concept of how much energy it takes to grow and transport their food, manufacture all the crap they just HAVE to have, and keep our horribly energy-inefficient society running. When those "ostriches" finally do figure it out, it will be a really painful revelation--if not darned near fatal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado