Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 07:56 AM

4 posts, read 20,823 times

Advertisements

Greetings everyone
I want to introduce myself, my name is Paula.
My husband and I found out last week that we are moving to Pagosa Springs in two weeks!
We are currently in Lakeland, FL (between Tampa and Orlando) and fully expect to freeze!

When we originally moved to Florida, the novelty wore off pretty quickly and we are ready to get away from the humidity, heat and throngs of people so this is a dream come true.

Does anyone have any advice on what to expect? Stuff warm weather folks wouldn't think about? What is living in Colorado like? Do you enjoy it?

Thanks!
Paula

Last edited by darkstar; 01-29-2007 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: added intro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 07:59 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,193,983 times
Paula ...

all of these topics have been extensively and recently visited on various Colorado threads.

try going through these first and perhaps you'll have some more specific questions ....

Old 01-29-2007, 09:36 AM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
Default Darkstar...

...you're gonna LOVE colorado....

BEST scenery FRIENDLY people MILLION activities HIGHLY affordable DRY air FEW bugs NO gators

moving here? ... piece of cake ... y'all come

Old 01-29-2007, 01:50 PM

Woo!
Thanks for the reply, Mike!
Yay to few bugs and no gators and DRY air!

We had a miserable mosquito ridden summer down here and a winter that hasn't been much better. I was dreading a repeat since we're outside with horses a lot now (can't hide in the AC that way).

We can't WAIT to get out there. I have been in love with Colorado since I passed through 16 years ago. The sheer beauty has never left me and this move is like a dream come true in many, many ways.

Glad to hear there are lots of friendly people!

Paula

Old 01-29-2007, 05:28 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
Darkstar....this state is like Horse Heaven...so many here...all types... no matter where you live here, you GOTTA go to the National Western Stock Show each January...words cannot describe the variety of critters there, mostly horses of all sorts, but buffalo, longhorns, mules, sheep, yaks, etc.

Tons of people here into model horses too. My wife collects. We sometimes ride...so much to do here....

s/Mike

Old 01-29-2007, 06:18 PM

170 posts, read 762,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar View Post
Woo!

We can't WAIT to get out there. I have been in love with Colorado since I passed through 16 years ago. The sheer beauty has never left me and this move is like a dream come true in many, many ways.

Paula
Paula,

I can completely relate to what you are saying!

I have lived in South TX most of my life. I am moving to Co Springs ("The Springs") in a couple of weeks and it is like a dream come true for me also. I am so ready to get away from the heat, humidity, pollution, crime, bugs and so on...
I vacationed in Colorado as a child and so I always had it in the back of my mind that I would move there some day....recently I decided why wait any longer!!

I flew up this past weekend and found a place to live and explored the city...I have no doubt I'm making the right decision...just being able to see those mountains every day is a blessing! The air was so clean and refreshing!! I can't wait to get out there!

Best of luck to you and your husband on your upcoming move!

Old 01-29-2007, 10:55 PM

155 posts, read 285,154 times
Quote:
Greetings everyone
My husband and I found out last week that we are moving to Pagosa Springs in two weeks!
We are currently in Lakeland, FL (between Tampa and Orlando) and fully expect to freeze!

When we originally moved to Florida, the novelty wore off pretty quickly and we are ready to get away from the humidity, heat and throngs of people so this is a dream come true.

Does anyone have any advice on what to expect? Stuff warm weather folks wouldn't think about? What is living in Colorado like? Do you enjoy it?

Thanks!
Paula
Funny thing, I am from the Denver area and moving back after 5 grueling years in Orlando. Enough of rude people, low pay, high cost of living, and being stuck indoors for 9 months because of the heat/humidity!

My brother is moving to Fort Collins or Co Springs (depending on what info I can get for him).

You will LOVE Colorado. If you have never been there, I encourage you go and tour it before making the move.

The winters are NOT 1/2 as bad as this year. This year La Nina made a mess and got temps to be unusually cold. Normally, you have a cold winter, but it will be ove rin early March and you will enjoy truly beautiful weather in CO from March - late Nov!!!

I am very outdoorsy and cannot wait to get back to CO. I cannot stand to spend another year indoors in the A/C for 9 months in FL. I will go crazy, I cannot even imagine anotehr April and that humid heat speeding in... UGH!

In CO you will be out a lot, the 60 degree weathe rin the fall feels like 70, you won't feel cold, won't sweat... all joyful bliss! Trust me, you are making a gooooooooooooood move to CO!

Old 01-30-2007, 04:42 AM

My husband is a cold weather nut and is ridiculously excited about being able to wear coats and sweaters again. So the cold weather is a plus to him. Florida has made my blood thin, so it might be an adjustment for me.

We even had to go out and buy new coats. I haven't owned a coat in 8 years!

I LOVE being outdoors with our horses. I can't wait to go on trail rides in the cool DRY air. And in the fall...it's been too many years since I've seen leaves change color.

I passed through Denver on my way to San Francisco (my other favorite place) 16 years ago and the landscape took my breath away. Nothing on that 3 day train ride made such an impression on me.

Mike, I will definitely be checking out that Stock Show! Sounds like my kind of thing!

Paula

Old 01-30-2007, 04:58 AM

476 posts, read 2,319,273 times
Quote:
Greetings everyone

Thanks!
Paula
Hi Paula! Just want to welcome you to Colorado. I am just across the border in New Mexico in Farmington. I love Pagosa. What a nice town. You will love the walks and hikes in the area. You got to go see the areas many lakes including Lake Williams Creek. Beautiful! The town is about as Americana as apple pie. Anyway, happy living in Pagosa!

Old 01-30-2007, 05:21 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,031,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryLou2007 View Post
. Normally, you have a cold winter, but it will be ove rin early March and you will enjoy truly beautiful weather in CO from March - late Nov!!!
I am sorry, but this is a bit much. It's almost funny.

Colorado is indeed a beautiful, beautiful place, and Pagosa Springs, at its high altitude, is one of the nicest spots. The hot springs are very nice.

But the quote from Mary Lou is a bit of an overstatement.

From looking at City Data's graph, average temps in Pagosa Springs are on the low end of the USA's average. April temps can vary from 25 to 60.

Anyone moving from Florida might want to think about the adjustment to the higher altitude. I think it's around 7000 feet. They do get snow, often in spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado