Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Colorado: better schools & health care, 1 story houses, ranch style, commute

Old 02-07-2007, 02:11 AM

3 posts, read 32,261 times

Advertisements

Aloha! My family, (three kiddos + hubby & me) are considering relocating to Colorado in search of better schools & health care. The area where we live in Hawaii has terrible public schools.We have one child in a great private school but will not be able to afford to put all of the kids there. Also the hospital here, although good, lacks a cath lab & hubby has a stent that will likely need replacing in a few years. We are looking at the general Ft. Collins area. Loveland seems to have more 1 story houses (which I need due to bad knees). But I can't seem to find many posts here that indicate what Loveland is really like. Our price range is on the low side as we need to lower our monthly outgo - $250K to 350K. Jobs are not a concern but do want to be in an area that is not economically depressed. So - suggestions for other areas to check out? Thoughts on Loveland vs Ft. Collins? Co Sprgs is not an option - too right-wing for us, and we tend to lean towards the yoga/meditation version of spirituality which I think would not go over well in CoSps. Any Hawaii transplants out there??
Thanks for any repies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 09:10 AM

26,221 posts, read 49,066,237 times
Boulder is the best fit for you, but is double your price range. There are places near Boulder....Louisville, Superior that should fit your price range and provide very acceptable schools and medical care. Use the search tool with keyword Louisville or Superior or Boulder and you'll find a ton of info already here. You can do compound searches, like: Superior +schools and it will find all the stuff with BOTH words in the body. Use the + sign as I've shown. Lots of data already here....

One-story ranch-style homes are very popular here, you should have no trouble finding that in most towns/areas.

s/Mike

Old 02-07-2007, 09:31 AM

226 posts, read 1,370,170 times
I would look into Highlands Ranch or Littleton. It is not nearly as far to the Right or Left as CO Springs or Boulder, but socially you should do fine. Douglas County Schools are excellent and I can say from personal experience that Sky Ridge is an excellent hospital. You can find a very nice house in these areas for under $350k.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:32 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,979,824 times
Default Loveland vs. Fort Collins

I see that no one has yet addressed your question about Loveland vs. Fort Collins.

Both Loveland and (south) Fort Collins feel much the same and are pretty well interconnected at this point. Loveland's a lot quieter and the demographic is mostly families and retirees -- not much happening there for the younger crowd, who all flock to Fort Collins instead. There's nothing resembling the campus scene or the downtown Fort Collins ("Old Town") scene in Loveland.

Loveland has grown a lot since I was in Fort Collins. It's kind of grown from a small town to more of a bedroom community. Back then it was very sleepy and well known for being a retirement destination. No one then would have dreamed in a million years of commuting to Denver or Boulder from Loveland back then. That's certainly changed today -- though I can't understand why anyone would put themselves through a commute like that. Not many people commute from Fort Collins, though -- that appears to be too far for just about anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado