Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 03:21 PM

10 posts, read 45,734 times

Advertisements

We are traveling from Winnipeg Canada to Disneyland and while Google Maps suggests North Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Utah Nevada, California - we have done some of that drive before, so we would like to drive south this time.

For the most part, the drive is simple from Winnipeg to Lincoln Nebraska - I 29 south. Using Google Maps - Winnipeg to Lincoln = 1124km (10 hours). 1 day drive

From reading various posts in this site, we would then travel west along the I 80 - I 76 into Colorado. This is where I need help. We would like to stop at Teec Nos Pos Arizona (4 state corners), the south rim of the grand canyon and then Las Vegas.

So, do we travel:

1) From Lincoln along the I 80 then I 76 & I 70 to Grand Junction 1165 km (10 1/2 hrs) 1 day drive. Then on the second day, drive I 70 to 191 - 491 - 160 to Teec Nos Pos (visit for an hour) then 160 to 89 then 64 to the south rim - or

2) From Lincoln along the I 80 then I 76 , I 25 south of Denver to Hwy 50 to Canon City - 1012 km (9 hrs) 1 day drive. Then on second day drive Hwy 50 - 285, 160 to Teec Nos Pos (visit for an hour) then 160 to 89 then 64 to the south rim - or

3) From Lincoln along the I 80 - I 76 to I 25 to Pueblo (1 day drive) then hwy 160 west to Teec Nos Pos and the south rim

or is there another way that is relatively quick or less mountainous?

I would love to hear your opinions on the route(s).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 03:48 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
I would maybe go I-76 through Denver then down 285 through Conifer, Bailey, South Park area (Fairplay), Salida, Monte Vista (??) to 160 and west over Wolk Creek Pass to the 4 Corners area and 666 to Route 66 or I-40 (??) then west to the Grand Canyon, or

I-76 to Denver then I-70 to Utah and then to the Grand Canyon (I don't know how you'd get through Utah to the Grand Canyon without going way out of your way, as I-70 takes you to I-15 and down to St George Utah at the junction of Utah, Arizona, and Nevada), but this may be a better way to go to Lake Mead or Vegas, but not the Grand Canyon.

Another way to go is to go I-76 to Limon, then south to Colorado Springs and down 24 to Cripple Creek for the night (Gambling town), then to 285, Salida, etc.

Or you could go I-76 to Denver, west on I-70 to Grand Junction and head south on hwy 50, but go towards Telluride/Ouray, then take 550 over to Durango and to the 4 Corners.

The Pueblo route would have you missing too many of Colorado's mountains I think. But if you do go that way, check here for some fine Pueblo dining. I've got some theads of my own findings in here too.

A few ways to go if you want to check out the Divide through the Colorado Mountains.

Hope this helps a bit. Happy travelling.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:48 PM

197 posts, read 796,888 times
I agree with McGowdog on his first sentence...

The 160 Scenic byway is gorgeous! IIRC - it took us over 8 hours from Walsenberg to Durango (pulling camper) We stayed overnight at a campground and hit GC - South rim next day. (ughs...its crowded & noisy!)

If you see a place called CHIPS - stop and eat a Buffalo Burger. LOL
I'm not sure it's still there....but the drive is simply aw-inspiring! Wolf Creek Pass - The little teepees and the sand dunes - the waterfalls on the side of the road -Treasure Falls....ahhhhh...man...makes me sick to still be sitting here in 85 temps!

It's my favorite drive in Colorado! (so far)

Old 10-14-2008, 10:17 PM

977 posts, read 1,955,504 times
Lincoln is a nice town, I used to live there when I was a kid, and went to college there also. I recommend trying Valentino's (Italian Buffet) while you're there. The spaghetti is outstanding.

As far as going through Colorado, if you want to avoid mountains, option one would be the best. It would also take you through Arches park in Utah. I-70 is kind of mountainous between Denver and Grand Junction, but it's also an interstate so should still be relatively easy traveling. The other 2 options wouldn't be bad, but those highways have some pretty windy stretches, and all are 2-lane highways. 191 in Utah is also 2 lanes, but shouldn't be too bad. Only bad part of Option 1 is that to hit the 4 corners, you'd have to backtrack a bit, by picking up 491 as you suggested. 491 through Colorado is a good highway though, I have spent much time on it the last couple days.

As for Teec Nos Pas, there is nothing there at all...maybe a gas station but that's it. After 4 corners, 160 to 89 to 64 is the best way to go. 160 and 89 are main routes. If you are on 160 going westbound in the evening though, the setting sun is horrendous to deal with. There are few hills or trees to help block it in that area. Going down to I-40/Hwy 66 would add a lot of time/distance.

FYI...highway 666 has been renumbered to 491 for obvious reasons, but you may still find it listed as 666 in some places.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:13 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
As far as going through Colorado, if you want to avoid mountains, option one would be the best. It would also take you through Arches park in Utah. I-70 is kind of mountainous between Denver and Grand Junction, but it's also an interstate so should still be relatively easy traveling.
I-70 is a tad bit more than kinda mountainous. At 11,158 feet the Eisenhower Tunnel is the highest spot on the US Interstate Highway system. The road is plenty wide and the curves are sweeping but the tunnel approaches reach a max 7% grade on either side.

Then about 30 miles west of the tunnel you've got another jaunt above 10,000 feet at Vail Pass.

Now, given all 3 of those options, #1 is the most forgiving route. Once you get over Vail Pass the drive isn't as mountainous and Glenwood Canyon is an amazing sight.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:33 PM

977 posts, read 1,955,504 times
Yes, but climbing to 11k on an interstate is still easier than a lot of these windy 2-lane highways, where you will be trying to slow to 15 mph for the next curve while also going down at 7%.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:34 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,984,029 times
Wink Certain possibilities

Skip the south rim of the Grand Canyon and opt for the north rim instead. Less crowded, more scenic, and affords a more direct route to Las Vegas, NV. The only reason not to do so would be weather, so check in advance as I believe they close both the lodge and road to it come winter. South rim, and at least some of the facilities, will be open year round.

I'd second the route of US 285 southwest until joining US 160 west to Teec Nos Pos, AZ. The only pass on this route of any size is Wolf Creek Pass (10,857 feet) between South Fork, CO and Pagosa Springs, CO. By and large a lovely drive.

From Teec Nos Pos continue on US 160 through Kayenta, AZ (a good place to stop for the night if necessary, by the way) about 30 miles beyond to turn right at its intersection with US 89. This will take you to Page, AZ (another good stopping point), which is located at the south end of Lake Powell. I believe it is Alt 89 that continues west from there into Utah to Kanab, UT. But turn south on US 89 to jog back north briefly across the bridge at Marble Canyon, thence west to Jacob Lake, AZ. At Jacob Lake turn south on the road leading directly south to the north rim of the Grand Canyon. Aside from the Park lodge at the Canyon, I believe another between there and Jacob Lake, and certain services in Jacob Lake as well. But again, particularly due season, possibly best to check in advance.

From the north rim you can retrace your steps to Jacob Lake, then continue on US 89 to Kanab, which also offers a variety of lodging. From there not much farther north until the junction with UT 9. Turning left will take you through Springdale, UT and at last to a junction with I-15 just north of St. George, UT, and from there a relatively short and easy drive on into Las Vegas.

If in your schedule, you might want to consider staying the night in Springdale. It is located directly adjacent the west side of Zion National Park, which you will have driven through in reaching it. The scenery of Zion is absolutely magnificent. You'll probably not regret the visit, and certainly not forget it. There is also a Park lodge in Zion, but this again probably a seasonal thing.

There is a certain amount of mountain driving on such a route, but nothing formidable. Relatively easy by Rocky Mountain standards. And from mountain to desert an abundance of incredible scenery.

Hmm. Maybe it's time for another road trip?

Old 11-11-2008, 10:46 PM

Default Grand canyon region

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I would maybe go I-76 through Denver then down 285 through Conifer, Bailey, South Park area (Fairplay), Salida, Monte Vista (??) to 160 and west over Wolk Creek Pass to the 4 Corners area and 666 to Route 66 or I-40 (??) then west to the Grand Canyon, or

I-76 to Denver then I-70 to Utah and then to the Grand Canyon (I don't know how you'd get through Utah to the Grand Canyon without going way out of your way, as I-70 takes you to I-15 and down to St George Utah at the junction of Utah, Arizona, and Nevada), but this may be a better way to go to Lake Mead or Vegas, but not the Grand Canyon.

Another way to go is to go I-76 to Limon, then south to Colorado Springs and down 24 to Cripple Creek for the night (Gambling town), then to 285, Salida, etc.

Or you could go I-76 to Denver, west on I-70 to Grand Junction and head south on hwy 50, but go towards Telluride/Ouray, then take 550 over to Durango and to the 4 Corners.

The Pueblo route would have you missing too many of Colorado's mountains I think. But if you do go that way, check here for some fine Pueblo dining. I've got some theads of my own findings in here too.

A few ways to go if you want to check out the Divide through the Colorado Mountains.

Hope this helps a bit. Happy travelling.
I have never been through this region so I am just Google mapping directions. Can I not travel from I70 then south on 191 then 491 then 160 to the four states region? Then travel along 89 then 64 to the south rim of the grand canyon?

I understand Colorado is very beautiful, but I am accustomed to viewing the Rockies here in Canada when I travel from BC to Alberta. From what I have read, the pass from Denver to Grand Junction is the one of the highest in the States, so it should suffice for the "scenic but fast route" through the state.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryMagic View Post
I agree with McGowdog on his first sentence...

The 160 Scenic byway is gorgeous! IIRC - it took us over 8 hours from Walsenberg to Durango (pulling camper) We stayed overnight at a campground and hit GC - South rim next day. (ughs...its crowded & noisy!)

It's my favorite drive in Colorado! (so far)
I have looked at this route using Google Earth, but it seems very hilly, with lots of strain on the car. Are there lots of single roads with little or no passing lanes?

As this is our first time to the Grand Canyon, is the South Rim not the place to visit? Should we be visiting the north or west rim instead? Are there places to stay at the north rim or west rim?

Old 11-11-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
Lincoln is a nice town, I used to live there when I was a kid, and went to college there also. I recommend trying Valentino's (Italian Buffet) while you're there. The spaghetti is outstanding.

As far as going through Colorado, if you want to avoid mountains, option one would be the best. It would also take you through Arches park in Utah. I-70 is kind of mountainous between Denver and Grand Junction, but it's also an interstate so should still be relatively easy traveling. The other 2 options wouldn't be bad, but those highways have some pretty windy stretches, and all are 2-lane highways. 191 in Utah is also 2 lanes, but shouldn't be too bad. Only bad part of Option 1 is that to hit the 4 corners, you'd have to backtrack a bit, by picking up 491 as you suggested. 491 through Colorado is a good highway though, I have spent much time on it the last couple days.

As for Teec Nos Pas, there is nothing there at all...maybe a gas station but that's it. After 4 corners, 160 to 89 to 64 is the best way to go. 160 and 89 are main routes. If you are on 160 going westbound in the evening though, the setting sun is horrendous to deal with. There are few hills or trees to help block it in that area. Going down to I-40/Hwy 66 would add a lot of time/distance.

FYI...highway 666 has been renumbered to 491 for obvious reasons, but you may still find it listed as 666 in some places.
How is the drive from Lincoln to Grand Junction? Is it a good days drive? Many places to stop along the way for gas and fast food?

Nice to hear that I 70 is a good highway. Any idea as to how popular the four states corner is? Worth the money for the tourist site? From four corners to the south rim, thanks for the tip about the sun - I'll make sure the sunglasses are on. Any idea what time the sun goes down in mid August?

I cannot believe that the highway was once 666 - good to hear that they have changed the name - many accidents on this road?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado