Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 02:52 PM

10 posts, read 37,758 times

Advertisements

Cosmic Wizard, I'm sorry but it is so......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 03:21 AM

10 posts, read 21,244 times
Grand Junction sounds like a nice, quiet place. I live a quiet life and I love to write. I have no friends or family, and I would love to relocate from Denver to Grand Junction. I realize it's a different setting, culturally from Denver, and I was concerned as to whether I would have a hard time fitting in as a 53-year-old African American male.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:05 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonesome me View Post
Grand Junction sounds like a nice, quiet place. I live a quiet life and I love to write. I have no friends or family, and I would love to relocate from Denver to Grand Junction. I realize it's a different setting, culturally from Denver, and I was concerned as to whether I would have a hard time fitting in as a 53-year-old African American male.
I would hardly call Grand Junction nice and quiet these days. It's grown to be a fairly big small city (if that makes sense). Compared with Denver it probably seems pretty small though, so I suppose it's relative. I don't think you'll have a problem fitting in in Grand Junction if you don't mind being one of the few African Americans in the area. That's just the reality of GJ.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:08 PM

Default Thank u

Thank U for your response. And no, I don't mind being one of the "few" because I'm pretty much a loner anyway. I write a lot; therefore, I already feel I'm part of the "few." I seldom go out and seldom have guests over; just a loner. THIS is why I feel an attraction to a place like GJ. I've lived in Denver for the past five years, and the owner of this place is planning on selling in the near future. So... just looking around for someplace that's peaceful and quiet... a place I can write and enjoy the quiet.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:59 PM

529 posts, read 1,325,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonesome me View Post
I don't think you'd have a problem fitting in anywhere in the West. I am somewhat of a loner too. Although it's tough to be alone out here anymore unless you own a lot of property. I'd go check it out before I moved to GJ. As others have posted, the area has grown almost 50% in the last decade and services probably haven't caught up yet.

Good luck!

Old 08-27-2010, 07:24 PM

23 posts, read 98,185 times
Well I guess I am one of the Grand Junction haters- having lived here forever I will try and give you both sides of this town I want to escape...lol

Positives: Low humidity if that is what you like. ( Well, close to NONE would be exact.)
Fairly mild winters
Small in size
Some large town amenities, such as Cabellas, Sams Club, etc.
Fairly good schools I think ( I have 3 kids and also work for the school District. <3 my school. )
The Valleys fruit. YUMM!
Lots of opportunities to hike, fish, hunt, swim, etc.

Negative: NO humidity. I put that in both categories, since some people like that. BUT be prepared to buy lots of lotion, to possibly have horrible bouts of dry skin, to drink A LOT of fluid and buy a lot of Chap Stick. One of my children has battled eczema for many years, his skin being especially dry in the winter and horribly painful. WE go to MO, his skin clears up. We come back here- HORRIBLE again. Another of my children also gets eczema in the winter and my skin is frequently dry. personally, I don't like the dryness.
While the winters are not horrible, we do get enough snow that sometimes driving can be a real pain. I have a sports car, and there are times in the winter I have to call my FIL to come and get me to take me to work, and take the kids to school because I can't get up a little hill unto the street. LOL Sometimes it gets so cold that the snow sticks around for a long time too.
, The city is small, but home prices are way too high ( even though they have fallen a lot lately) and pay is low low low. Crime is high for a city this size, and like lots of cities there is that ever increasing meth problem. I have heard of specific instances where a well paying company wanted to come in and the city counsel people refused to let them because if they paid so well, then others would have to. They literally keep those companies OUT on purpose. Needless to say, there is a HUGE amount of people here who live below the poverty line. 70% of our school children this year are on free or reduced lunches ( my own included). I think GJ might be fine to live if you were to sell your home in say CA for a million dollars, buy one here for 500,000 and live mortgage free, but to try and work here and survive is VERY hard!
There are some amenities available, but if you want to do some real shopping, you will need to go to Denver. WE have enough to get buy, but I do a lot of shopping online, and most of the restaurants are PACKED evenings and weekends, so be prepared for a wait.
The pollen count is VERY high spring, summer and fall. We have cottonwoods and ragweed that really throw people for a loop. My whole family suffers from seasonal allergies, and it is so common around here, people think it is normal. For all the pollen, etc. it is still not a lush, green city like you find more to the south. It is the high desert and to get any real mountains you need to drive about and hour to the Grand Mesa. ( which is a very pretty place. )
While there is a lot to do outdoors, if you like to hunt, fish, camp, hike, etc. there is also a large LACK of things to do. No amusement parks, just small museums, no big malls, no zoos, lots of bars as people here dont have much else to do but drink I guess? If you want to do any of that sort of thing, you have to drive 4 hours to Denver. It is easy to get "bored" and for young people to feel that boredom as well.

Again, I don't like it here at all, and WILL get out one day. Can't really sell right now, as the housing market is a buyers market right now ( but still waaayyy to overpriced) and I wouldn't make anything on the house. think long and hard before coming here and finding out that you are stuck and you hate it!!

Last edited by 72Sh3llB3ll; 08-27-2010 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 08-27-2010, 09:52 PM

Default Thank U 2

Wow, what a review... I'll ponder that. I'm already using a lot of chap stick here in Denver and it's ok, however, the "high crime" thwarted me. Sincere thanks.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:49 PM

* "Crime is high" in GJ, that is (enough said)

Old 08-28-2010, 12:09 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,665 times
Yes, personally, if you like something quiet and peaceful I wouldn't exactly recommend GJ. I lived there for almost 7 years and in that short time I saw the town grow tremendously. Crime, especially in the east end of the valley (Clifton, Fruitvale, Pear Park areas) was pretty bad for size of the town. You might want to look into some smaller towns on the Western Slope though. These are areas that I would find quieter and offer you a good setting for writing and pondering the better things in life. They are also close to the amenities in GJ or another larger town, so you wouldn't be totally isolated and without access when you needed it.

-Glade Park (a small community to the west of GJ on the edge of Colo. Natl. Monument)
-Delta
-Cedaredge (just to the NE of Delta on the edge of the Grand Mesa)
-Montrose
-Hotchkiss (E of Delta)
-Paonia (E of Delta, a very eclectic funky town, IMO)

Of course, if you are also looking for work outside of writing, you may have trouble in these smaller towns. However, if writing is your source of income and you can live anywhere to do it, I think these towns are worth checking out. What other things are you looking for besides quiet? Do you need big box stores? A little more information might help us to help you! I highly suggest taking a road trip to W. Colorado to check these places out. September would be a fantastic time as the aspen are changing color. It's truly remarkable.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:27 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,981,130 times
Actually, the winters have been bad in the last 2 years. Especially 2009-2010. Even the locals have complained how bad it`s been. Typicaly the winters in Gj are not that bad.
Crime is not as bad as some make it out to be. GJ is not a high crime city... Try living in Cal... Then you`ll know what a lot of crime really is. Ya, the Clifton and southeast areas are not great and have more crime but it is like that in every city in the US. You will aways have some bad parts of town. As far as the restuarants being packed on weekends, I`ve experienced this in every city that I`ve lived in. It`s nothing unusual. If you go at an earlier time, it`s not as bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado