Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 12:08 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
Josseppie
I don't think so. To live anywhere close to job centers, Denver or COS, and still have the OP's desire of larger lots, some natural vegetation that doesn't resemble cacti, and reasonable costs, he's got few options. When we were looking in COS, our main criteria was that it not resemble Southern CA. After a couple of years of working/visiting here, we ended up in the Woodmor development in Monument. Here's a few reasons>
1. lots are half acre min and reasonable
2. area still has a neighborhood feel. good for our 8yo
3. lots of open spaces. 900 acre ranch behind us with cows,horses,antelope,deer, foxes, and the occasional elk.
4. lots of pines. looks, smells, and feels like the CO I envisioned.
5. good schools
There are other areas that would fit the bill, but we had to stay close to COS, and still stay in the 'reasonable' category. We've never regretted moving here and have enjoyed and appreciated the beauty of the area and the friendliness of the people. I think I understand what the OP's looking for and think we found it here. Good Luck
I did not say everywhere I said many places, there is Monument, Castle Rock, Fort Collins, Loveland, Pueblo, Parts of the Springs, Canon City, Highlands ranch, Sedila, Golden just to name a few. Not everyone will like all of those places but they are all great places with a diversity that makes Colorado a great place to live and work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 02:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I did not say everywhere I said many places, there is Monument, Castle Rock, Fort Collins, Loveland, Pueblo, Parts of the Springs, Canon City, Highlands ranch, Sedila, Golden just to name a few. Not everyone will like all of those places but they are all great places with a diversity that makes Colorado a great place to live and work.
You are right about the diversity, but he wants a large lot as well, and some space between houses. That certainly eliminates HR and maybe some other places as well. In Louisville the minimum lot size is, I believe, 5000 sq. ft (1/8 acre) and the minimum side yard is 5 feet (10 feet between houses). In most places the minimum becomes the maximum. (These numbers are for single family houses.) When we "upgraded" from our first house, we went with a neighborhood with slightly larger lots (ours is about 8000 sq. ft) and 8 foot side yards.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:56 PM

The question then beccomes what size of lot does he want. For example I live in Pueblo on a 1/2 acer lot and its plenty big for me. So does he want something like that or bigger or smaller?

Once he decides that then he can look at the Front Range and see what areas meet his criteria, all my point is with the diversity here there is something for most everyone.

Last edited by Josseppie; 01-23-2009 at 04:07 PM..

Old 01-23-2009, 06:54 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,922,788 times
Quote:
You're right. These all have great places to live and work. I was just trying to keep the OP's desires in mind.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:06 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,021,530 times
Half an acre is more than enough.

And I'm only going to say this one more time. I am not looking explicitly for the color green. Those saying "we don't have any more greenery than California" must live in the big city - because from what I see of Monument in particular, there's much more plant life than we have out here.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Half an acre is more than enough.

And I'm only going to say this one more time. I am not looking explicitly for the color green. Those saying "we don't have any more greenery than California" must live in the big city - because from what I see of Monument in particular, there's much more plant life than we have out here.
That's what I was trying to say so the next question is what kind of a job are you looking for because in any major city in Colorado you will find the kind of home and yard you like.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:39 PM

There are a few half-acre lots in Arvada. That's about the only place that I know of, close in.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:47 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,021,530 times
Job would more than likely be IT. Document imaging, Network/Systems Engineering, that sort of thing. If I could even find a job that allowed for working from home, I'd have the perfect life! I know that's far and few in between in this economy...but I can always dream.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:49 PM

Sounds like you need the tech center in the Denver Metro area.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:09 PM

Actually, there are several "nodes" of tech employment in the metro area: the DTC, just south of Denver; downtown Denver; Boulder, and to a lesser extent, Interlocken at Broomfield. Plus, just about every business has an IT dept. any more. There seem to be a lot of little "high tech" companies in Jefferson County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado