Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 10:58 AM

8 posts, read 16,142 times

Advertisements

Hi ,

I am 23 and moving to CO in Aug/Sept 2009. I graduated college in 2007 and have been working in a cancer research group, dreaming about moving to CO to start my M.S. in 2010, and waiting for my manfriend to finish his degree so we can free ourselves from the tarnished Gainesville life. Plus, there is basically only one place to mt bike ! ugh.

In May we'll be making a trip there to look at places to live and hopefully the jobs that will be available. I am nervous because I see how many of my friends are struggling to make ends meet here in FL, and I know that FL has worse unemployment conditions than CO, however I am still very concerned for myself when I actually get out there. So far, my search for a position has been nothing but depressing. I haven't even heard back about clerical positions (no offense to anyone) and my qualifications are far beyond what they require, as well as, I'm willing to take a pay reduction to match what I make now. Any suggestions as to what the job market is like since the internet has endless lists of openings, but never a response back?

Also, I've been doing research on different places to live...I don't want to live inside the city,..more like <20min from Univ. of CO, denver. I've read to stay away from Commerce City? Will I get a decent apt. for $800-$1100/mo. ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 05:12 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMtBr View Post
Also, I've been doing research on different places to live...I don't want to live inside the city,..more like <20min from Univ. of CO, denver. I've read to stay away from Commerce City? Will I get a decent apt. for $800-$1100/mo. ?
There is the regular campus at Auraria, just outside downtown Denver, and also the UCDHSC (Health Sciences Center) in north Aurora at Fitzsimons, so it would help to know which campus you will be studying at.

From Auraria, try:
Lakewood, Arvada, Westminster, maybe Thornton

From Fitzsimons, try:
Aurora

There are a few nice places in Commerce City, but probably still not your cup of tea.

There are typical suburban areas throughout the city of Denver as well, so don't write off Denver because it is the city. It isn't anything like NYC, for example, if that is what you are trying to avoid. The S or SE side of Denver would be a good bet.

Your rent range will set you up nicely just about anywhere in the metro.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:04 PM

thanks for the "home" info. any news on employment?

Old 02-13-2009, 05:09 AM

565 posts, read 1,847,990 times
Check job hunt sites or medical chat sites for your area of expertise. With the way the economy and employment is right now, the best bet is to not worry about targeting a specific city or state but just look for the opportunity anywhere you can find it. When the economy improves, then opportunity to seek positions in a specific area are likely to be better.

...but with the mile high and better altitude here, I'm sure there is some skin cancer research going on somewhere in the area!

Old 02-14-2009, 02:22 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
"Persuing a dream to move from below sea level to 1mi up. "

I recommend decompressing at 2500 feet to avoid the bends.*

*a joke

Old 02-27-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
"Persuing a dream to move from below sea level to 1mi up. "

I recommend decompressing at 2500 feet to avoid the bends.*

*a joke

haha i got it.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginhild View Post
Check job hunt sites or medical chat sites for your area of expertise. With the way the economy and employment is right now, the best bet is to not worry about targeting a specific city or state but just look for the opportunity anywhere you can find it. When the economy improves, then opportunity to seek positions in a specific area are likely to be better.

...but with the mile high and better altitude here, I'm sure there is some skin cancer research going on somewhere in the area!

Yea, I've checked just about every job forum and submitted applications. No response besides the automated ones. I have a feeling I'll be like many professionals and just wind up doing something that pays the bills until we pull out of the economic recession.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:30 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,118,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMtBr View Post
Yea, I've checked just about every job forum and submitted applications. No response besides the automated ones. I have a feeling I'll be like many professionals and just wind up doing something that pays the bills until we pull out of the economic recession.
I hope you're willing to do that "something" for quite a few years as what were are seeing in regards to the economy, isn't going to be fixed by Obama nor quickly.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:12 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
I hope you're willing to do that "something" for quite a few years as what were are seeing in regards to the economy, isn't going to be fixed by Obama nor quickly.
I'm sure the Republican's could fix it with their "do nothing and let the country go down the toilet" attitude That darn Obama!

Old 02-27-2009, 10:21 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
I would think the lack of response is because you are from out of state. With so many looking for work, I would assume most employers are working with what is already right here. Maybe I'm way off base in that regard though....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado