Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 06:59 PM

11 posts, read 43,916 times

Advertisements

Can anyone comment on the pains and pleasures of living in Gunnison, Colorado? Would a rural western New York family with young kids get to enjoy decent schools or home school groups, wildlife walks, pleasant sunshine, nice folks? Can you shop there for clothing, shoes and groceries? Not in my small town here - I couldn't even find rechargeable batteries yesterday in a grocery store town next door!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 08:10 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,224,340 times
Gunnison has all the basics you're asking about.

As the gateway to a major recreational area of Colorado, it has more restaurants, motels, activities, and shopping than many comparable sized towns. Excellent skiing is not too far away, and it's one of the premier fishing areas of Colorado. Outdoor activities are numerous, with camping, hiking, bicycling, hunting, jeeping, horseback riding, etc, on your doorstep with a number of major mountain ranges and national forests.

It's a major tourist attraction area in the summer, fall, and winter.

The climate is fairly mild in the summer and fall, with summer days in the low 80's at the highest; overnight can drop 20-30 degrees when the sun goes down. Rainshowers can be a little cool, so it's a must to be prepared with adequate clothing when outdoors when the clouds roll in. Winters can be long at the altitude, with a lot of snowfall and cold temps.

About 100 miles away is Grand Junction to the West for more major shopping, or you can head East to Pueblo/Colorado Springs in a few hours driving when the roads are clear.

It has an excellent little airport, if you're into general aviation. Close by to the town, walking distance to everything including a KOA campground.

The scenery is pretty breathtaking, although the dry climate western forests are quite different from the wet and low altitude hardwoods of the East. The trees are farther apart, and there's much less secondary level growth on the forest floor. Other than aspen, there's not a lot of deciduous trees making for a growth mulch and habitat for small critters. Much of the ground can be very rocky. Keep in mind the elevation is close to 7800'.

If you move here, you'll discover you have more close relatives, friends, and acquaintances than you ever knew you had ... and they'll all be coming out to visit you soon. Better have a couple of guest rooms or a guest house on your property ....

Old 03-22-2007, 10:13 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,142,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Gunnison has all the basics you're asking about.

As the gateway to a major recreational area of Colorado, it has more restaurants, motels, activities, and shopping than many comparable sized towns. Excellent skiing is not too far away, and it's one of the premier fishing areas of Colorado. Outdoor activities are numerous, with camping, hiking, bicycling, hunting, jeeping, horseback riding, etc, on your doorstep with a number of major mountain ranges and national forests.

It's a major tourist attraction area in the summer, fall, and winter.

The climate is fairly mild in the summer and fall, with summer days in the low 80's at the highest; overnight can drop 20-30 degrees when the sun goes down. Rainshowers can be a little cool, so it's a must to be prepared with adequate clothing when outdoors when the clouds roll in. Winters can be long at the altitude, with a lot of snowfall and cold temps.

About 100 miles away is Grand Junction to the West for more major shopping, or you can head East to Pueblo/Colorado Springs in a few hours driving when the roads are clear.

It has an excellent little airport, if you're into general aviation. Close by to the town, walking distance to everything including a KOA campground.

The scenery is pretty breathtaking, although the dry climate western forests are quite different from the wet and low altitude hardwoods of the East. The trees are farther apart, and there's much less secondary level growth on the forest floor. Other than aspen, there's not a lot of deciduous trees making for a growth mulch and habitat for small critters. Much of the ground can be very rocky. Keep in mind the elevation is close to 7800'.

If you move here, you'll discover you have more close relatives, friends, and acquaintances than you ever knew you had ... and they'll all be coming out to visit you soon. Better have a couple of guest rooms or a guest house on your property ....
I just wanted to add that Gunnison is practically below zero every morning in winter. It's often the cold spot in the country, up there with Alamosa. When I visited (I don't live there) I found Gunnison to be a nice little town, further away from the mountains then I'd hoped for. It seems to be located in a rather wide high-elevation valley.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:28 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,047,317 times
Quote:
I just wanted to add that Gunnison is practically below zero every morning in winter.
A friend of mine went to school (Western State) at Gunnison.
He said there were heaters outside on campus. (I cannot confirm or deny this, never been there myself, but why would he make it up?)
Gunnison has a *reputation* for freezing weather--I suppose the cold settles into the valley.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:42 AM

31 posts, read 172,673 times
I moved from Colorado to Chicago last summer because the jobs and pay are so much better here. That being said the weather here is MUCH worse than what I experienced in Colorado. Personally I loved 350 days of sunshine a year lol. However, I only lived in Denver for one year. The rest of the time I lived west of the mountains, mainly in Grand Junction. If you are looking for a place that has the best weather around (really almost no snow/rain) I'd recommend Grand Junction.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:46 AM

31 posts, read 172,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
A friend of mine went to school (Western State) at Gunnison.
He said there were heaters outside on campus. (I cannot confirm or deny this, never been there myself, but why would he make it up?)
Gunnison has a *reputation* for freezing weather--I suppose the cold settles into the valley.
Gunnison is COLD!!! Gunnison and Craig, Colorado generally seem to rival parts of Canada for low temps in the winter! This may be an exaggeration but not much of one.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:21 AM

585 posts, read 2,224,822 times
Looks like it's gonna happen sooner than I thought. Our house went under contract already!

Hellow Upstate NY! Goodbye desert!

Old 03-24-2007, 06:13 AM

368 posts, read 831,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblebelly View Post
Looks like it's gonna happen sooner than I thought. Our house went under contract already!

Hellow Upstate NY! Goodbye desert!
It's always nice to hear such enthusiasm with regards to moving to another state. Depending on where upstate you are headed, if you moved now near me you would say hello snow and mudseason to boot.
Kidding aside I've read some of your posts and it seems like you are really excited about your move, I hope it is all that you wish for!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck....

Old 03-24-2007, 10:14 AM

585 posts, read 2,224,822 times
Thanks Tina. We are planning on moving to the Albany area. I hope it's all I wish for to but I'm sure I'll have some painful doubts about leaving Fort Collins. We definitely have a lot of mixed feelings about leaving Colorado. However, the only reason I'd stay is if I moved to someplace like Salida but that's not a realistic option right now.

My wife, who is from Old Forge, just informed me that mudseason isn't too much worse than what we experienced a few weeks ago.

Old 03-24-2007, 07:24 PM

368 posts, read 831,732 times
My wife, who is from Old Forge, just informed me that mudseason isn't too much worse than what we experienced a few weeks ago.[/quote]

lol,,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I do believe she is trying to butter you up OR she has experienced amnesia and has forgotten what mudseason is like in upstate.

Good luck on your move!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado