Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 10:58 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,480,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
When did "Pueblo" become a "major city"? I believe Denver is the only one that can truly claim the title of "major city".
Major city means more then just population but what kind of area it anchors. For example Aurora is a lot bigger then Pueblo but because it is a suburb of Denver does not anchor a region where Pueblo anchors all of southern Colorado, thus, Pueblo is more important to southern Colorado then Aurora is to northern Colorado making Pueblo a "major" city.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 11:11 PM

565 posts, read 1,848,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanL View Post
Hahaha! I have often wanted to "hijack" Jossie's threads to sing the praises of Canon City but, I can't type that fast!!HA!
I grew up in Denver, lived in Arvada...raised a son in Aurora......but Canon City, well, I'll keep it to myself!
You guys are too much fun, I swear!!
I can actually see Canon City outgrowing Pueblo in the near future.

Canon City is located closer to the mountains. It has lower crime and lower unemployment. It is closer to attractions such as skiing and Royal Gorge. It has close enough access to the Pueblo Resevoir which is located toward Canon City from Pueblo. Canon City has other natural lakes nearby. It is located upstream on the Arkansas from Pueblo (gets the water first and gets to pollute it first). There are lots of 35+ acre parcels available around Canon City that have trees, hills, mountains in and around. The only thing about Canon City compared to Pueblo that is a disadvantage is that I-25 does not run right through the city - however, 115 is a beautiful scenic drive between Colorado Springs and Canon City - the same can't be said about I-25 between Pueblo and Colorado Springs.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginhild View Post
I can actually see Canon City outgrowing Pueblo in the near future.

Canon City is located closer to the mountains. It has lower crime and lower unemployment. It is closer to attractions such as skiing and Royal Gorge. It has close enough access to the Pueblo Resevoir which is located toward Canon City from Pueblo. Canon City has other natural lakes nearby. It is located upstream on the Arkansas from Pueblo (gets the water first and gets to pollute it first). There are lots of 35+ acre parcels available around Canon City that have trees, hills, mountains in and around. The only thing about Canon City compared to Pueblo that is a disadvantage is that I-25 does not run right through the city - however, 115 is a beautiful scenic drive between Colorado Springs and Canon City - the same can't be said about I-25 between Pueblo and Colorado Springs.
I think Canon City will grow and is a important part of our region but the big issue for them is lack of rail lines thus making it hard for major industries to move there.

Another factor is I don't think Canon City wants to be as big as Pueblo, maybe 50,000 but that's it. I could be wrong but talking to the people who live there I just don't get a sense that I do from talking to people in Pueblo about wanting their town to grow like we do.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:25 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,295,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Major city means more then just population but what kind of area it anchors. For example Aurora is a lot bigger then Pueblo but because it is a suburb of Denver does not anchor a region where Pueblo anchors all of southern Colorado, thus, Pueblo is more important to southern Colorado then Aurora is to northern Colorado making Pueblo a "major" city.
Well, the people of Hays, KS will be happy to know they live in a "major city" then. And the people of Tonopah, NV. And we can't forget Pinedale, WY... Are paved streets a requirement?

Old 02-20-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
Well, the people of Hays, KS will be happy to know they live in a "major city" then. And the people of Tonopah, NV. And we can't forget Pinedale, WY... Are paved streets a requirement?
I do not know the dynamics of those states to make a informed comment, I can say that Pueblo is known as a anchor of southern Colorado and in fact people come from as far away as northern New Mexico to shop here. The proof of that is Pueblo is a sales tax net-gainer, that means that more people shop here then the local population would indicate. That makes Pueblo a important city for southern Colorado and a "major" city.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:43 PM

Quote:
I think Canon City will grow and is a important part of our region but the big issue for them is lack of rail lines thus making it hard for major industries to move there.

Another factor is I don't think Canon City wants to be as big as Pueblo, maybe 50,000 but that's it. I could be wrong but talking to the people who live there I just don't get a sense that I do from talking to people in Pueblo about wanting their town to grow like we do.
Sometimes it doesn't matter what the city wants. Like with the project that is supposed to bring 200,000 new homes to Pueblo - if the only people that buy the new homes are people from Pueblo leaving an older home, then there is no growth and more strain/devaluing of the housing market causing the attempt to have 200,000 new homes to stop.

Trucking is a major industry in the US! In fact, railyards being a few minutes to 1/2 hour outside of the city can be a benefit allowing easier city growth and planning......never mind, there are rail lines going through Canon City and a railyard in Canon City.

It looks like Canon City, Florence, Rockvale, and Penrose will merge together within a couple years. Canon City, Prospect Heights, Brookside, and Lincoln Park have already merged.

Hey, you should probably start a Canon City vs. Pueblo thread. It is a much better comparison that the Colorado Springs vs. Pueblo threads you posted under Colorado, Colorado Springs, and City vs City forum areas.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginhild View Post
Sometimes it doesn't matter what the city wants. Like with the project that is supposed to bring 200,000 new homes to Pueblo - if the only people that buy the new homes are people from Pueblo leaving an older home, then there is no growth and more strain/devaluing of the housing market causing the attempt to have 200,000 new homes to stop.

Trucking is a major industry in the US! In fact, railyards being a few minutes to 1/2 hour outside of the city can be a benefit allowing easier city growth and planning......never mind, there are rail lines going through Canon City and a railyard in Canon City.

It looks like Canon City, Florence, Rockvale, and Penrose will merge together within a couple years. Canon City, Prospect Heights, Brookside, and Lincoln Park have already merged.
Except that the developers from Las Vegas developing Pueblo Springs will also develop a tech park that will be the largest in the state and they will get some main companies to move there and start the tech park by:

1 - Building the building and giving it to the company
2 - Paying for the companies moving expense
3 - Paying for the companies employees moving expense.

Plus there is the new industrial park south of town that is growing with the new Vesta's plant that combined with its suppliers eventually employ over 1,000 people.

Not to mention the other developments planned for the area.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:54 PM

38 posts, read 98,254 times
As I view this thread. I really understand why my wife & I will be starting a church in Pueblo. We will be moving to Pueblo in June. We are very excited. We were youth pastors in Aurora, CO several years back and enjoyed the area. We lived in Amarillo, TX and have made many trips to and from Denver. We would obviously drive through Pueblo and to be honest with you I never would have considered Pueblo as a place to live. But for some reason there is a great love in my heart for the people and the community of Pueblo, CO. I know that may sound weird, but all I can say is God knows what he is doing. He is leading us to Pueblo for a reason and we intend to find out why. We are going to embrace Pueblo as our own and we pray that Pueblo will embrace us as their own, even though we are not from there. God bless you all and I thoroughly enjoy your posts.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Except that the developers from Las Vegas developing Pueblo Springs will also develop a tech park that will be the largest in the state and they will get some main companies to move there and start the tech park by:

1 - Building the building and giving it to the company
2 - Paying for the companies moving expense
3 - Paying for the companies employees moving expense.

Plus there is the new industrial park south of town that is growing with the new Vesta's plant that combined with its suppliers eventually employ over 1,000 people.

Not to mention the other developments planned for the area.
Again, those are things Pueblo wants but havn't happened yet.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:04 AM

Well Pueblo has already annexed the lariat around Pueblo Springs and Buffie Mcfadden is the local consultant and the rest should be annexed by mid year.

The article:

"Pueblo West state Rep. Liane "Buffie" McFadyen will be representing a Nevada company in Pueblo as it continues its efforts to have more than 24,000 acres north of the city annexed."

The link: http://www.chieftain.com/articles/2009/01/04/news/local/doc496058af4a111710484169.txt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado