Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 08:45 AM

2 posts, read 5,399 times

Advertisements

Hi, Any info would be great! My family is moving to Durango in a year....I have read alot of feed-back about durango being liberal.. My concern is.. my husband and I are in a Christian Rock/ Blues/ Soul/ Band . We really love playing gigs, and do so on a regular basis. We moved to South Carolina a fews years back, it took us a wile to get shows because all the uptight christians around, lots of them don't except our style of music. Music is a passion, an art, and a love. I just want to be sure there is going to be an outlet for us to express our music. We love music, God is really our driving force.... We don't just play church music for church people.. music should be enjoyed by whoever wishes to listen, We don't try and cram JESUS down anybody throat.
Anybody?

My husband is an highly skilled carpenter. We are in South Carolina now , but will be moving to Durango in a year. He now works in Hilton Head, SC. Has his own business (small time, nothing fancy) I was wondering how the carpentry business is going there, it has slowed down around here.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 06-13-2009 at 01:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 09:54 PM

108 posts, read 389,589 times
I'm not well informed about the local music scene so I can't comment about how your band would do. The construction work around Durango has really slowed down. All the people I know that work construction are out of work or only getting an odd job here and there, nothing steady.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:55 AM

2 posts, read 5,399 times
Default Work in durango on RAILROAD

It's pretty much like that here. He is doing a lot of maintance work, lately... I was thinking he could get an job with a apartment or condo complex. We could possibly live at the complex he works at. We aren't into buyng a house until we have lived there a couple years..... Honestly my husband is kind of sick of working construction... He would really like to work on the D&S railroad. I don't know how hard it is to get a job there. Or how steady the work would be...We have contacted (by email) the Railroad, and they said they hire in the spring...I don't know if that means that it's only a part time gig or what..

Is there anyone that knows more about the Railroad and how much they pay?

Old 06-18-2009, 10:04 PM

I don't know exact figures but a friend's hubby worked there for a while, they said the pay was quite low. The train's busy season is the summer, in the winter they only run up to Cascade, about halfway, so it makes sense that they only need to hire in the spring.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:45 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
I don't know about Duango specifically. I have friends and family in the construction business in different parts of the USA and Canada. Thy ALL say that business is s-l-o-w. None of them has built a house for months on end. Instead of building houses they have more or less become maintenance men. Instead of spending months at the same work site, they are lucky to have a job big enough to last an entire week.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:41 PM

108 posts, read 378,580 times
The Railroad either pays really well, or really poorly.
If you are experienced at maintenance and repair of late
1800's coal fired locomotives, including the forging and
machining of replacement parts - it pays well.
Everything else varies from there. For full time, it takes
years spent as part time seasonal and finding a niche.
No one that I know in construction is working except for
very small niche market builders. Road construction is booming,
but once again - experience and who you know is key.
A lot of companies are down sizing leaving many seekers.
Housing prices are only off 10 to 15% from the peak if you
believe the realtors. If you don't have connections here, it
will be tough. Bring a substantial nest egg and a plan 'B'.

Durango's home-page for breaking news, weather, sports, local events and entertainment - The Durango Herald

Old 06-20-2009, 02:21 AM

888 posts, read 1,591,051 times
Well, it's a tourist railroad, so a general rule of thumb is the pay ranges from pretty low, to almost much nothing. And it very likely is seasonal work

Old 06-21-2009, 12:20 AM

14 posts, read 33,010 times
Right now, Durango has the main street/highway through town...or past the down town area, all torn up with road construction...they are building a large overpass to somewhere...we just came through there yesterday...at rush hour of course...that's all I know about Durango's construction, if your hubby is into that kind of work...I don't know a thing about Durango's politics or music choices tho...

Old 06-24-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amethystlady2 View Post
Right now, Durango has the main street/highway through town...or past the down town area, all torn up with road construction...they are building a large overpass to somewhere...we just came through there yesterday...at rush hour of course...that's all I know about Durango's construction, if your hubby is into that kind of work...I don't know a thing about Durango's politics or music choices tho...
It's called the Bridge to Nowhere. Not officially of course but to locals that is what it is because it really does go nowhere. CDOT doesn't own the land to connect the bridge to anything and even if they did, the money to connect it is years away.

Road construction is booming here though. There was that project, Bodo, and then starting next year Florida Road will be completely redone, that will be a large project as well.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:02 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
I talked to a fellow from Durango this week who has extensive personal knowledge of the construction industry in Durango. His comment was that, aside from some road construction, construction activity in Durango this summer is "essentially dead." Many Durango construction workers have relocated elsewhere--either temporarily or permanently--in desperate search for work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado