Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 05:45 PM

2 posts, read 6,405 times

Advertisements

I will be moving there in Oct. I have worked in the local library here in Michigan as a library assistant, I have also done some random office work, some elder care too. What are the odds of getting library employment there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 08:40 PM

670 posts, read 1,053,307 times
Very very slim but you could look at Pueblo libraries too, a lot of people that live in CC commute to Puebo for work.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:28 PM

178 posts, read 605,033 times
I knew some of the people who worked for the Canon City library when I lived there and I only remember them hiring one person in 5 years.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:29 PM

2 posts, read 6,405 times
I had a feeling this was going to be the response but I had to ask. I guess I have to decide if the 40 or so mile commute is worth it or just look for work in town. I am not a fan of driving 40 miles to work every day. Is working for the prison system the best it gets?

Old 08-28-2014, 09:17 PM

178 posts, read 605,033 times
The new library in Pueblo West is 30 miles or less from most locations within Canon City.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:09 AM

304 posts, read 344,208 times
Canon City is a pretty area, although I wouldn't live there. It's not my kind of town. I did drive to work there for over ten years, and the drive can get treacherous in the winter with the blowing snow. If you are looking to work in Pueblo, it's best to look there, more housing opportunities, and it's cheaper.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:36 AM

12 posts, read 34,722 times
Default Cañon City vis a vis DOC

I've been here 3 years now-came here for reasons other then making money which is a good thing as Cañon
City isn't economically viable unless you're someway involved with the now legalized pot culture. Cañon is encouraging this business and I for one do not think it's a sound brick in your economic foundation.

I have seen 5 businesses close on an already partially filled Main St this summer.

Does it have something to do with the prison system? I say no. Granted DOC pays a lot of employees in this area but from what I see and I've done some contract security work for DOC, they are always short staffed and looking for new employees. There are sone decent paying jobs in DOC.

But it sure is beautiful-the climate this past summer was one the best summers I've ever experienced-the people here are very friendly-it's primarily a white, conservative small town and that suits me just fine.

Just don't come here expecting to find a high paying job.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:08 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
There are a handful of threads about canon city. I spent a week in canon city some yrs back & I enjoyed it. It was during july & the weather was quite comfortable compared to the inland empire area of ca. The nights were cool & I enjoyed the summer rains.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:50 AM

6 posts, read 13,864 times
I have verbally accepted a job as a high school teacher in CC, so I have the income covered, but am wondering about available housing to rent in Canon. It seems pretty scarce. I lived in Colorado City for a couple of years (in the Divine Redeemer neighborhood near downtown) and really liked that area, but is a commute to the Springs even doable? School starts pretty early in the morning--in my experience, often before roads are cleared--so a long commute from any direction on ice on a regular basis sounds less than ideal. I'll be moving in the summer, back to Colorado from Texas. Are my chances of finding anything in Canon unlikely, and should I just concentrate my efforts on Pueblo, despite the commute?

Old 05-06-2015, 12:42 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicola_vera2 View Post
I have verbally accepted a job as a high school teacher in CC, so I have the income covered, but am wondering about available housing to rent in Canon. It seems pretty scarce. I lived in Colorado City for a couple of years (in the Divine Redeemer neighborhood near downtown) and really liked that area, but is a commute to the Springs even doable? School starts pretty early in the morning--in my experience, often before roads are cleared--so a long commute from any direction on ice on a regular basis sounds less than ideal. I'll be moving in the summer, back to Colorado from Texas. Are my chances of finding anything in Canon unlikely, and should I just concentrate my efforts on Pueblo, despite the commute?
I think you meant to say OLD Colorado City (west side of Colorado Springs) since you mention Divine Redeemer church which is near downtown. Commuting from Colorado Springs to Canon City is doable but not all that advisable. The weather will cause a problem a few times per year but it's mostly the distance that makes it not such a good idea.

Pueblo West may have some housing options, as will parts of Pueblo.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado